Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   less then 2 months in (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453185)

jbug_4 10-12-2012 02:41 PM

less then 2 months in

and we are already on our second school fund raiser. This does not look good for us. 2 weeks ago it was the entertainment coupon book which does absolutely no one we know any good because its all local businesses and we don't know any one locally. At least this time it is magazines and MIL is gets lots of magazines. Hoping we can catch her before she renews. I guess this is what we get for choosing a charter school. Bet we'll be selling overpriced wrapping paper next month.

canadianbakers 10-12-2012 03:19 PM

Re: less then 2 months in

:yuck: I hate when schools do lots of fundraisers.

We did have one in September - but it was the 'Terry Fox Run', which totally doesn't count as a school fundraiser, IMO.

For actual school fundraisers, we have 2 for the whole year. One is selling 'Mom's Pantry Products' - it's all different baking and cooking supplies, spices, pie shells & fillings, pizza crusts, cookie dough, etc. It's really good stuff, not overpriced, the school gets a good %age of it, and they always send it out so everything arrives just in time for Christmas baking :thumbsup:
Then in January we have a 'skate-a-thon' for the kids. To me, that one's more for fun than fundraising, but we still contribute.

After those 2, we're done for the year, and best of all they provide all the $$ for field trips for the whole year (including one overnight trip), and we don't have to pay extra.

my2sweets 10-12-2012 03:27 PM

Earlier this wk my friend was telling me she has been sent 4 fund raisers, asked to donated $ for 'popcorn fridays'(she doesnt give her ds doesnt get any), asked to donate time, goods, and(yes and not or!) money for the fall festival, and the teacher has already sent home a request for supplies list. This wk was the 8th wk of school I believe. Crazy

MamaNae 10-12-2012 05:28 PM

Can you just opt out? If I was getting that many fund raisers I'd just toss them in the round file the second I got them.

I don't come from a wealthy family, neither does DH...no one we know has money to be spending on over priced junk from fundraisers...

waterisntsomething 10-12-2012 05:49 PM

ugh, I would just not participate. I don't agree with using children's cuteness to raise money.

thtr4me 10-12-2012 06:02 PM

I won't do those type of fundraisers. More than happy to donate to the school's general fund, which we do every year, and we try to go to a few of the dinner out fundraisers. But we won't sell stuff.

Terra 10-12-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterisntsomething (Post 15804265)
ugh, I would just not participate. I don't agree with using children's cuteness to raise money.

I work at an elementary school and I can assure you that it's not about using their cuteness. It's about funding because of the educational cuts. Our teachers are given $100 for the entire year for supplies, room decorations and field trips. Without fundraisers we would have nothing. And our kindergarten teachers alone [I'm in kindergarten], each spend well over $500-700 a year out of pocket. And many even pay for children's field trips when they can't afford them, buy them clothes, shoes, etc.

I understand about not liking them so much, but they really do help. And I proudly buy from my son who is a kindergartener this year, and my pre-school/VPK son at his day school to help out those teachers.

MamaNae 10-12-2012 07:40 PM

I think it's completely unfair for lower income/middle income families who are struggling. If a parent cannot afford to buy shoes don't you think it makes them feel even more like total garbage because they can't afford a $17.99 tube of wrapping paper or a $8.97 frozen pizza? Most everyone in our extended family is just barely getting by...asking my Grandma on social security to buy crap she can't eat because she's on dialysis or asking my mil when she's disabled and my fil only is able to work sporadically for a trucking company...or my mom & stepdad who were both out of work for over 3 years? Nope...not gonna happen.

We're not within the public school system so my kids only do 1 fund raiser a year (boy scouts popcorn and girl scout cookies) and our families do buy because it's the only 1 (and dang that popcorn is YUMMY and hello? Thin Mints? Yes please) but if I were bugging them every 6 weeks? Uh nope...

knodceo 10-12-2012 07:42 PM

Can't you ask what they need for the school and offer to donate that? I am sure TS frustrating. And what happens if the kids don't sell anything?

Terra 10-12-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaNae (Post 15804791)
I think it's completely unfair for lower income/middle income families who are struggling. If a parent cannot afford to buy shoes don't you think it makes them feel even more like total garbage because they can't afford a $17.99 tube of wrapping paper or a $8.97 frozen pizza? Most everyone in our extended family is just barely getting by...asking my Grandma on social security to buy crap she can't eat because she's on dialysis or asking my mil when she's disabled and my fil only is able to work sporadically for a trucking company...or my mom & stepdad who were both out of work for over 3 years? Nope...not gonna happen.

We're not within the public school system so my kids only do 1 fund raiser a year (boy scouts popcorn and girl scout cookies) and our families do buy because it's the only 1 (and dang that popcorn is YUMMY and hello? Thin Mints? Yes please) but if I were bugging them every 6 weeks? Uh nope...

Many of our kiddos belong to some 'big' churches in the area and many of the orders come from the congregants. Now we only do 2 fund raisers a year [ones that go outside of the school]. We have small ones in house, like snack cakes, candy, pencils, school stuff, etc for under $1 an item.

I understand about the low income. Our school [in our district] is THE lowest income one. We have a 95% free/reduced lunch population. But like I said their connections bring in some good funds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo (Post 15804797)
Can't you ask what they need for the school and offer to donate that? I am sure TS frustrating. And what happens if the kids don't sell anything?

Then sadly the school goes with out.
Do you mean like ask the parents? Sorry, I'm a little tired tonight :giggle2: