Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What's your favorite training pant? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453229)

american_mommy 10-12-2012 05:03 PM

What's your favorite training pant?

My ds is a little over 2 1/2 and has been wanting to pee in the potty. I don't know that he is ready to train but I want to be prepared because we are expecting in Jan. None of my children have trained before 3 so it would be new to me if he did but he is my first in cloth also.
So I want to find a good trainer because I hated using pullups and the underwear that leaked everywhere. He is a big boy, weighs about 32 lbs. The blueberry ones look cute and I love their diapers but wasn't sure how they rate.
I need some guidance!

sandhillcranes 10-12-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by american_mommy
My ds is a little over 2 1/2 and has been wanting to pee in the potty. I don't know that he is ready to train but I want to be prepared because we are expecting in Jan. None of my children have trained before 3 so it would be new to me if he did but he is my first in cloth also.
So I want to find a good trainer because I hated using pullups and the underwear that leaked everywhere. He is a big boy, weighs about 32 lbs. The blueberry ones look cute and I love their diapers but wasn't sure how they rate.
I need some guidance!

My son was almost identical to yours when he trained. He is still iffy at night but fully day trained. Fwiw, it took less than a week at home and he was pretty much good to go. Heres what we tried (at the time he was a lil under 2.5y/o, 32/33lbs, he is tall for his age--usually 90something percentile on the chart):
Blueberry --good for day. The "large" fit like underwear. Not as easy to pull up and down but good for going out bc fit well under clothes.
Imse vimse --loved these. Think we had junior size iirc. Pulled up and down easy.
Ecoposh--these run similar to blueberry. Nice but we bought the wrong size, they were pretty plain. DS liked the prints of bluberry and iv better.
Gerber --actually love their padded undies. They definitely leak without the hidden pul. But--cheap and easy to get up and down. We used these at home a lot. He liked them

^^^all of these are day trainers.

As far as night goes, we are currently using superundies, mothergoose designs pocket trainer, and ladderhill designs night trainers with a pocket. All 3 work. Verdict is still out on which holds best. Im going to try a flip trainer at night one night if he will let me. He associates prints with undies and solids with "baby diapers" (his words) so im a lil concerned he will think its a dipe. He knows full well he can pee in a sposie pull up and WILL!!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

bigmamakelsey 10-12-2012 08:08 PM

Re: What's your favorite training pant?

I didn't like blueberrry or Imse Vimse, they had almost no absorption. They were like expensive underwear. Ecoposh is pretty good, and I like the trainers from ladder hill design. For nighttime, we use nighttime superundies.

shortcake2386 10-12-2012 08:13 PM

my kids wear the ones i make. www.mothergoosedesigns.com ds wears the brief trainers and has been pulling them up and down since 18 months. the only other thing i have experience with are gerbers and my niece peed straight through those.

american_mommy 10-13-2012 07:58 AM

Thanks for the ideas!
It is frustrating because when the CB seconds came up it crossed my mind to get some flip trainers but I thought no we are aways away from that, of course like 2 days later he starts wanting to go. But he is still peeing in his diaper so we still have time. I was honestly just hoping he would wait but then I don't know that it will be easy with a newborn either.

mekjsk2000 10-13-2012 08:08 AM

I'm loving Snap-Ez or the Fuzzibunz trickle trainers as my son has huge thighs (15") and these fit without leaving red marks. The Imse Vimse are good too but dont hold enough for where we are at now. I loved using the gerber undies with my first but that was for later on, once he pooped in the potty too (my second isnt there yet). I use disposable pullups overnight as I cant get rid of ammonia out of anything from overnight pee.

OrangeBananas 10-13-2012 10:28 AM

I have tried gerber in the past, and i didn't care for them much. We are using Best Bottom trainers.

Mom2ManyBlessings 10-13-2012 10:37 AM

I am not a microfiber fan usually, however I love the Kissaluvs trainers. I didn think I would but they are great and hold up well to washing (my flips fell apart within a few months).

Sent from my phone, excuse any typos. :)

Piper4242 10-13-2012 11:14 AM

For early potty training I liked super undies for my DD when we were out and about. When home we just used regular undies or went bare bum- it helped her get on pot faster. Now, that she is mostly PT I really love best bottom trainers when we need a little extra protection when leaving the house. I think the best bottoms give you the best bang for your buck. I agree with Bigmamakelsey on the blueberry and imse, the blueberry are really soft and fun prints but for $15 you can gets big pack of real underwear and my DD always leaked through when wearing them. Superundies nighttime are bulky but great for nights when you toddler won't wear a reg CD, my DD didn't want to wear baby diapers and like the colors of the SUndies. Those have been our favorites for nighttime.

buko 10-13-2012 01:43 PM

Hmmm... I wonder if some of the less-absorbent would actually be BETTER for EC, then...