Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What age did your kids learn how to rhyme? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453253)

graceworks 10-12-2012 06:22 PM

What age did your kids learn how to rhyme?

I know this is a weird question...but what is a typical age that kids "get" rhyming?

My 2 year old (just turned two last week) has been telling me "that rhymes!" when she hears a rhyme for a few weeks and 2 days ago made up a rhyme "rice bice! that rhymes!" (lol I know bice is not a word but it was so spontaneous) and has been figuring out rhyming words that I haven't taught her since then. I give her a word and she thinks for a bit and then thinks of a rhyme. (yes I give her easy words like cat, dog, book, etc).

I was really surprised that she understands how to think of a rhyming word. I'm not trying to brag about my child I am just curious. And wondering if there are any other phonics related skills I can start working on with her since she is showing an interest?

Rhianna'sMommy 10-12-2012 06:32 PM

Re: What age did your kids learn how to rhyme?

Dd1 was my talker and loved anything to do with words. She was playing rhyming games before age 2.

Dd2 was between 4 and 5 before she cared about the concept. At 5 she's mostly pretty good with rhyming but still gets confused periodically.

Ds is about to turn 3 and doesn't talk well enough to do rhymes. If he gets the concept he hasn't indicated that he does to us.

ktmelody 10-12-2012 06:34 PM

My 2 year olds could rhyme (except for my 7 year old who still struggles a little but we think she may be dyslexic and that is a symptom)

I think it is a concern if they go past 6. But anywhere from 2-6 is normal. :)

rverrone11 10-12-2012 11:49 PM

DD1 was 2, DD2 is now 2.5 and doesn't know how but she is a later talker than DD1.

Nonsense words are perfectly fine for rhyming!

katengrace 10-13-2012 01:57 PM

I don't remember exactly with my oldest two, but my 3 year old rhymes nonstop. Two years old does seem young to me, but that's great! Rhyming is an important pre-reading skill.

slingmommy 10-14-2012 12:21 AM

My 3yo is doing that now - rhyming everything, making up words that rhyme. Sounds like your dd is one smart cookie!
This is a great time for the Name Game. You know, Nelly nelly bo belly banana fanna fo felly me my mo melly...Nelly! (duck, truck, and buck are off limits, but I do let them use kitchen and chicken ;))
I also sing nursery rhymes, but change the words to other rhyming words or non-rhyming words (so they can correct me).

danielle 10-14-2012 05:08 AM

I'm not sure of the typical age. My daughter was likely atypical - she made a pun a month before she turned 3 (we used to set our newborn's bathtub into the bassinet and she called it a "bathinette") and she was singing songs and rhyming in her early 2s.

We encouraged her to play with letters by getting her the wooden magnets from M&D, multiple sets. She used to string seemingly random letters together to make "words." She was obsessed with cake so she learned that one. We sang a lot. She just turned 4 and she is recognizing words on paper; I'm not sure what reading is defined as so I hesitate to call it reading. But there are words she can spell and lately she has shown a great interest in writing certain words like hello, I love you grandma, happy Halloween, that kind of stuff, as I tell her the letters. I got her some Kumon tracing books when she was about 2.5 to help her get the dexterity to make her own letters.
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to know where your daughter will probably be in a few years. Have fun! :goodvibes:

jeebee 10-14-2012 06:09 AM

Both my older two, between 2 and 2.5. Not sure what is typical for rhyming, but my older one at a few weeks after turning two was also telling me the letter everything starts with, and reading simple words phonetically at 2.5. She is definitely not typical when it comes to language skills. At 4.5 she is reading at 2nd grade level. So... maybe your daughter will be too if she has those kind of skills now!

Only 10-14-2012 08:37 AM

By around two my niece was rhyming easily and turning it into songs. She still does this. Lol.

Nora+6 10-14-2012 08:55 AM

late 1 / early 2, late 2, early-mid 2, and 4.5.

In correlation to speech, my first and third were early / on-track, second was slightly delayed, and number four had severely delayed speech.