Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   RELATED sad UPDATE: It's attitudes like this that continue to perpetuate ignorance. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453258)

Terra 10-12-2012 06:40 PM

RELATED sad UPDATE: It's attitudes like this that continue to perpetuate ignorance.

ETA: So for the last few days Aaron has been really down when it comes to Halloween and whenever any asks what he wants to be for Halloween he gets sad and says "I don't know."
And he would never tell me why.

This morning DH asked when I was going to buy their costumes and Aaron got really sad again and said "Mommy I don't know what I want to be yet."
So I said, "I thought you wanted to be Tinkerbell." To which he replied. "Tinkerbell is for girls." And he was so sad.
I asked who told him that and he said Miss Lula who is one of his teachers from his Pre-school kindergarten readiness class.

I have to be honest and say that I am quite sad and upset. I kind of "get" feeling that way. But I don't get telling and imposing on others one's own personal morals. Now I have a son who is sad and the joy of Halloween is gone and he doesn't really want to be anything now.

And my DH are at such odds over this and he leans more to gender specific things.
Ugghh, just venting.

The teacher that I work with is such a nice lady and we have quite a bit in common. She's a believer like me, but more conservative however she is open-minded as well.

Anyway, she was telling me about her pastor and the message he gave last Sunday. She said he was talking about homosexuality of course [from their point how it's wrong], no biggie there, everyone has a right to believe what they want.
But she said he went on to say "And that's why we must raise our boys to be men and our girls to be women. Boys should only play with cars, trucks, play sports. And girls should play with dolls, barbies, and help do housework.

I'm in shock. I know I shouldn't be. I just am floored that the latter attitude is still alive and that people still think that what a little boy or little girl plays with or does will make them gay. Even if you don't believe someone is born gay, IMO [and I realize that this in controversial], playing with certain toys or being involved in activities like sports or even Home Economics, will NOT make one gay.

I really just don't get that. I don't at all. Especially since my youngest [4 years old] is very drawn to girly/feminine things. But he has no idea about sexuality at this age. It is truly a child's play and imagination.

How sad that with such attitudes we [general we], are the ones that begin attaching stigmas to things that reach our children, thus raising children with those attitudes.

Again, whether one believes in the *born that way* or *choice* is not the issue in this. Being a child and being at play in "only certain ways" is what is so sad and frustrating to me :(

Every day I feel myself more and more and more turned off by "Christianity". I'm a sold out believer in Christ Jesus. However, between this election year and these kinds of attitudes I just find myself never ever wanting to set foot in a brick and mortar church again.

luvsviola 10-12-2012 07:06 PM

Re: It's attitudes like this that continue to perpetuate ignorance.

The wonderful thing about America, is that she is entitled to her beliefs, and you to yours. :) However, this seems like a pretty unprofessional thing for her to bring up at work.

UmmKira 10-12-2012 07:13 PM

My SIL had the same feeling you do towards christianity. She believes, but is turned off by the actions of those around her.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

tallanvor 10-12-2012 07:18 PM

Some of it is such a deeply ingrained thing it's hard to let go of. I mean, I don't believe that what I child plays with has anything to do with their sexuality, but I still find myself stopping -- or wanting to stop -- my son from doing something "girly". Stuff that when I really think about it, I don't have a problem with, but because it is so much in society that boys play with "boy toys" I sometimes don't realize what I'm doing.

momtoGcubed 10-12-2012 07:18 PM

My FIL just had a cow because my 4 y/o son was wearing make-up. :rolleyes:

Terra 10-12-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15804624)
The wonderful thing about America, is that she is entitled to her beliefs, and you to yours. :) However, this seems like a pretty unprofessional thing for her to bring up at work.

So true, glad we all have that freedom!
I meant to add that she was actually turned off by it too. She told me she wondered how many people he offended. She's super nice and we share amongst each other some spiritual things since we have some of the same beliefs. She likes a lot of the people there but some of belief system she is not so much liking.

Terra 10-12-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoGcubed (Post 15804702)
My FIL just had a cow because my 4 y/o son was wearing make-up. :rolleyes:

Aaron totally loves some lip gloss!!!:giggle2:

songbird516 10-12-2012 07:44 PM

And that's why people who are teaching a group, supposedly from the Bible, shouldn't give their own viewpoint, but stick to what the Bible actually says. Yes the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong, but there's nothing in there that says that raising your boys in any particular way will change them. It's almost as bad as Ezzo claiming that he knows how to raise kids "god's way".

momtoGcubed 10-12-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terra (Post 15804729)
Aaron totally loves some lip gloss!!!:giggle2:

Griffin traded one of his Lightning McQueens for a whole make-up kit from his sister. ;)

Terra 10-12-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516 (Post 15804809)
And that's why people who are teaching a group, supposedly from the Bible, shouldn't give their own viewpoint, but stick to what the Bible actually says. Yes the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong, but there's nothing in there that says that raising your boys in any particular way will change them. It's almost as bad as Ezzo claiming that he knows how to raise kids "god's way".

Yes, exactly! That is the part that saddens me. Like I said my own son loves "girl" things. He's going to be Tinkerbell for Halloween and to be honest, the only thing I'm nervous about are the comments that he may get from other kiddos because of what they have heard/been taught. In my area, this line of thinking is very common :/