Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Smelly pee diapers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453272)

*TinyJoys* 10-12-2012 07:47 PM

Smelly pee diapers

Ok so I need some advice about smells. I use Fuzzibunz cloth diapers and when my DS pees in them they release a smell. It isn't as strong as it used to be since I switched from Nature Clean detergent to Tide F&G and started sprinkling Borax into his dirty diaper bag. I still can't totally get rid of it though and my mother-in-law is always bringing it up and suggesting that I put the microfiber pads/liners to soak in vinegar water when dirty. I know I shouldn't do it with the actual diaper because it will wreck the elastics. Its not that I don't think this is a good idea or that I'm totally against doing this but I just want to know if there's an easier, less messy way to get rid of that stink. Also, my washing machine is a front loader, which I know uses less water.

So, are they maybe not getting rinsed enough? Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any advice?
These diapers were very expensive and I don't want to start buying different liners.

Greenmamma2 10-12-2012 08:17 PM

Re: Smelly pee diapers

I have the same issue. I've actually stopped using them as much since I have two in diapers. From what I understand, if the diapers smell like ammonia when they get wet, then it is due to an ammonia build up in the liners. If it smells like the diapers just aren't clean enough- more of a barnyard smell, then they really aren't getting clean enough. I started having trouble when we moved and the new machine I started using was an HE. So far, using tide and doing lots of rinses has helped in both situations. You can also do a strip to make sure there isn't any residue causing the build up. I also have soft water which is really causing a problem as well. Maybe someone else will chime in with some suggestions!

nonipie 10-12-2012 08:42 PM

I would first try using more detergent to see if that helps. Then if it doesn't help I would try 1/4 to 1/2 cup bleach. Stink or ammonia means bacteria in the diapers. Basically they are not getting clean. Have you tried manually adding more water to the washer?

*TinyJoys* 10-13-2012 07:05 AM

Hmm I have a water softener too, so that might be part of the problem. I'll try manually adding more water and maybe a little more detergent and if that doesn't work maybe I'll strip them again. So about the manually adding more water, with a front loader, how do you do this?

sandhillcranes 10-13-2012 07:18 AM

How much tide f&g r u using

*TinyJoys* 10-14-2012 06:59 AM

I fill it up about till about the 2nd line in the cap. Too much or too little? It seems like enough, but its hard to tell sometimes. Also I notice a lot of suds left after the cycle so I also have to do another full cycle of rinses.

abunchoflemons 10-14-2012 07:12 AM

I presoak in detergent & do a bit of wash in my front load. I use dreft & only put in like 1 -2 tbsp. I do hot wash cold rinses too. Try putting oxiclean in drum too to help. What's ur wash routine?

*TinyJoys* 10-14-2012 07:33 AM

I have a hanging diaper pail and I throw my dirties in there. If there's a particularly sticky poop I put on gloves and clean it off in the toilet. I sprinkle Borax in the dirty pail to help aid the wash and fight odors. I then do a cold rinse cycle, followed by a hot wash-cold rinse, then another cold rinse cycle to get rid of soap residue. If anyone has any suggestions for an extra step or changes to the routine I'm totally open!

themamageek 10-14-2012 08:22 AM

Does it smell like corn chips at all?

*TinyJoys* 10-14-2012 08:27 AM

Its funny you ask that because I have thought that they do smell like that at times. I also noticed they smell like coffee sometimes. I know that sounds weird lol.