Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BGE questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453288)

ArmyWifeBethany 10-12-2012 08:44 PM

BGE questions

I just got my BGE seconds today and love them already. A couple of questions...
1. Do I have to prep them alone or can I prep them with my new Flips and Grovias (stay dry)?
2. Do they always stay this soft? Oh my, they feel like butter!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Kabuki24 10-12-2012 09:51 PM

Re: BGE questions

I'd wash them once separate from other diapers but you will get different opinions on this. Just wash them with towlels. Yes, the stay soft.

armywife21 10-12-2012 09:58 PM

I always heard that hemp/bamboo/prefolds had oils in the fabric and could cause issues with your other diapers if you washed together before they were prepped. I would play it safe and wash them a few times first but maybe one good long hot wash would be enough.

BirthdayMama 10-13-2012 01:09 AM

I've had enough trouble having to strip my pockets that I'd play it safe and wash them separately 4/5 times. Unless you wash the stay-dry with them all 6-7 times. But that's fairly unnecessary wear on the stay-dry diapers.

momgoddess 10-13-2012 01:30 AM

I just got mine today too and I washed them along with my new coveralls and capri, Flip, Bamboo Prefolds, Hemp Babies doublers and flannel wipes - oh and I snagged the BG Bamboo fitted also. Those all arrived today and I washed them all twice together. I will just use them now and know that they won't be to max absorbency for a few more washes. I think it's fine to prep bamboo, hemp and cotton together.

greencrunchymama 10-13-2012 06:38 AM

My cotton didn't stay soft for very long :( i prep mine with other laundry like towels.

lynn97 10-13-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabuki24
I'd wash them once separate from other diapers but you will get different opinions on this. Just wash them with towlels. Yes, the stay soft.

Yep. And mine have stayed soft too. I'm guessing it depends on your water and it's mineral content.

ArmyWifeBethany 10-13-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97

Yep. And mine have stayed soft too. I'm guessing it depends on your water and it's mineral content.

Well, we have super hard well water :-/

Gabrielsmama 10-13-2012 08:14 AM

I got my BGE seconds a couple of days ago and OMG they ARE soft! I will prep them with my (cotton) bedsheets first and then with towels. After that I think I will launder them with my other diapers.

BTW, do you BGE lovers leave the soakers as they are or do you deattach the other end (saw someone posting about this)? Do they dry really slow? I don't mind line-drying them after a dryer cycle if they're still moist but would be nice of course if they dried fast... Also, the soaker doesn't lay flat (there's "too much fabric"), do you fold the excess fabric either in the front or the back or both?

LionMama 10-13-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabrielsmama
BTW, do you BGE lovers leave the soakers as they are or do you deattach the other end (saw someone posting about this)? Do they dry really slow? I don't mind line-drying them after a dryer cycle if they're still moist but would be nice of course if they dried fast... Also, the soaker doesn't lay flat (there's "too much fabric"), do you fold the excess fabric either in the front or the back or both?

I've left mine attached- its easy for me since I "dunk" the diaper in the toilet to rinse it clean - actually I specificity love BGE 'cause it's attached and it makes dunking easier:)

I fold the excess up front since I have a boy and he is a super soaker. I don't mind the longer drying time- for us it takes two cycles on the med heat in the dryer or I will do one cycle then hang them to finish drying so they stay soft. Otherwise just line drying leaves them kinda crunchy.