Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Pertussis (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453304)

brookglen 10-12-2012 09:39 PM

Pertussis

My four year old step son "might" have pertussis. He's been with his mother for the past two months because we have missed a couple of visits, however her was scheduled to come this weekend. His test results don't come back until next week and they currently have him on antibiotics in case it comes back positive.

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant but had my booster when my two year old was born, she's also been vaccinated. All this is moot because my step son was also vaccinated however apparently there is still a 20% chance of getting it?

I'm just curious how long until we no longer have to steer clear of the little guy if it turns out that he has it? If my husband visits him is it possible for him to bring it home to us? I want to be cautious but at the same time we are behind on visits and its a bummer to go this long without seeing him.

GEMQEMCABOOSE 10-12-2012 10:57 PM

Re: Pertussis

We are now 3 months post- positive pertussis culture here. :( We were told that once the course of antibiotics has been finished, the child is no longer considered contagious. We did a 5 day course I believe. We dealt with our pediatrician and the state health department. Both said the same. Our vaccinated child didn't get it, and DH and I both got a minor cold as pertussis often appears as in adults. The little two still have a nasty cough occasionally. :(

omgoodgravy 10-13-2012 07:54 PM

I got a booster 2 years ago after the birth of my youngest DD. The main reason I got it was because without it I was told I could pick it up and bring it home to baby. So yeah your DH could bring it back but sounds like DSS is on antibiotics and you and DD are vaccinated. Could be pretty safe, although pg...I would ask my ob or midwife.

luvsviola 10-13-2012 10:11 PM

yuck! I would call your doc before anyone visits with him. We have an outbreak here, and everyone in my district that caught it was vaxxed.

Green Decals 10-15-2012 01:28 PM

Yes, your DH can bring it home - maybe from DSS, maybe from some random stranger that he passes along the way. Vaccination is absolutely no guarantee of protection, you all need to keep your immune systems strong and take care of yourselves. Personally, I would keep up with visitation - it will reduce your stress level which can impact immune function, and a sick kid is no reason to not have visitation with a loving, caring parent.

Kiliki 10-15-2012 01:36 PM

I caught pertussis when I was pregnant and I coughed so violently, I would often throw up, gag, nearly pass out, and eventually I broke a rib during a coughing fit. I have been fully vaxed against it, but still caught it.

I did not enjoy it, having a broken rib while 36 wks pregnant, and then delivering a baby while having a broken rib *REALLY* sucks.

I would be careful while you are pg, b/c normal immunity can be suppressed in pregnancy. :hugs:

(this isn't reflective of my personal stance on vaxes, but just to give you a heads up, pertussis while pg is definitely no fun!)