Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Getting baby to nap (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453391)

Squig'sMumMum 10-13-2012 09:11 AM

Getting baby to nap

DD2 needs to nap. She does, badly. She LOVES to sleep. But DD1 wakes her up consistently, early in the morning and from each nap.
DD1 does not care, will not be quiet, etc. I have tried spending nap time with her, giving her quiet things to do, etc, but it doesn't work, she still ends up ruining nap time (both on purpose and by mistake, depending on the day and her attitude).
DD2 has been averaging 40-60 minutes total of naps per day for at least 2 months, probably closer to 3 now and is only 7 months old. She needs a couple hours naps a day at this age.

How can I help her stay asleep? A pin drop wakes her up sometimes, and other times she sleeps through anything (fell asleep on the living room floor when we had family over and the other kids were running through making a hell of a racket and she didn't flinch). I've already put up blackout curtains and try to keep the bedroom door mostly closed... I've tried holding her through naps like I had to with DD1, but that wakes her up too.

my2sweets 10-13-2012 09:15 AM

What about a fan or white noise machine in babys room? How old is dd1?

Squig'sMumMum 10-13-2012 09:19 AM

Re: Getting baby to nap

DD1 is 4. DD2 is in our room, and the biggest issue I am having is that nothing is consistent, so I can't say that white noise would help :hairpull: I can vacuum through one nap and she sleeps and another it wakes her up immediately.
She's not cranky or anything, she seems to think a 2 minute nap is just fine, her personality is to just keep smiling and being happy. But I know that developmentally she still needs to nap, and she falls asleep fine right around the time I would expect a nap to be needed.

(ETA: Found white noise tracks on Youtube, so will try that next nap)

melyndie 10-13-2012 09:34 AM

I know you probably don't always want to turn to TV, but what about putting something on for DD1 while DD2 naps?

Squig'sMumMum 10-13-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melyndie (Post 15806352)
I know you probably don't always want to turn to TV, but what about putting something on for DD1 while DD2 naps?

I've tried that and it works about 50% of the time. :banghead:
My kids just do not nap. DD1 quit napping completely by 18 months old and was only taking a single nap at a year. I can't say "This helps her sleep" or "this wakes her up" because it changes daily... Though when DD1 was at Grandma's house the other day DD2 miraculously took a 2 1/2 hr nap. But I can't just pawn my kid off every day either :\

shortcake2386 10-13-2012 10:19 AM

i have 4 so our house is a little different(louder lol) . 1pm-3pm is quite time/ nap time every. single. day. the 4 and 6 year olds go to their room and play(they havent napped in years and only do if they are sick.) if they are loud they get quiet time w/o their toys/games for 1 day-1 week depending on how often i have to tell them to be quiet. i lay down with the 2 year old and 3 month old and both go to sleep. the 2 year old isnt picky, as long as mommy or daddy are with him. the 3 month old HAS to have a blanket over her head to sleep. not her face just draped over her head lol. i found that out by accident and naps have been easy ever since(for a week now lol) the baby also has a sound machine in her (dark) room. but will regularly sleep with up to 7 other kids running around screaming too, as long as the noise is pretty constant.

melyndie 10-13-2012 12:32 PM

I have a 2 year old and a 2 month old. Granted, the 2 month old can sleep through a lot right now, but I do have my 2 year old play in her room (which is right next to where the baby sleeps) during one of his nap times to give me a break, and she hasn't woken him up yet. I turn on music for DD, give her some non-noisy toys to play with, and let her play with her dolls and clothes (she loves to dress herself). Sometimes she will get upset and loud, and sometimes she will bang things around or slam her door, making a lot of noise, but I have worked on teaching her not to do these things (and going to check on her when she gets upset). I give specific guidelines when I leave the room, go to her to tell her not to be as noisy if she gets too loud (often she doesn't realize she is doing it), and reward her at the end (she loves raisins) for playing nicely by herself. My DD is a VERY active, stubborn, spirited child, yet over the course of a few weeks of teaching her how to play in her room quietly, she now does a really good job! Maybe something would work like this for your DD1? I also have white noise in the baby's room, and I'm sure that helps him.

If DH isn't home, I will also have DD play in her room just during the times when I am putting the baby down, so she is in her room several times in a day but only once for a longer period. I know if I were to put her in there too much, she wouldn't play quietly very well and would get annoyed.