Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Is it just my house?! (Food related) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453417)

LillyIvy 10-13-2012 10:38 AM

Is it just my house?! (Food related)

So I moved in with my sister about a month ago (long story), but there seems to be... something... that likes attacking our food. Best example, I made spaghetti one night and forgot to throw the jar of sauce away. The very next morning (so, like 14 hours after opening it) it had full on mold growing on it.

Another example is the tomatoes we leave on the counter/window sil like we have since we were little. If there is the SLIGHTEST imperfection in them (bruise, slight cut), they are ruined within a day. The apples I can understand since they are always so close together, but really!?

Does anyone else have a horrid shelf life for their fresh fruits/veggies?! Or is there just something in this house?! And my sister keeps a very clean house dispite our combined 3 children.

3lilbubs 10-13-2012 10:49 AM

Re: Is it just my house?! (Food related)

Do you live in florida? My brother said there's mold in the AIR there when he lived there and you couldn't leave the wash more than a few minutes after it finished or it would mold. The closets couldn't be closed or the carpet would grow mold. Gross!

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-13-2012 11:07 AM

when i was living at an old rental we never had an issue until there was mold in the house. we ended up moving out because of it

LillyIvy 10-13-2012 11:07 AM

We live in Virginia, so we're pretty close to the open water (my sister is in the NAVY and there are LOTS of ports around here). I'm not sure if it's just how they clean or what, but there's no mold anywhere else in the house...

qsefthuko 10-13-2012 11:08 AM

Yeah it depends on the house and location. The more humid the shorter the life spam. I don't have it quite as bad but during our humid summers I have to use fresh fruits or Veges quickly. We had a drought this summer so no issues right now.

joslin 10-13-2012 04:03 PM

Do you wash the vegetables when you get them home. Here the stuff will rot quickly if I don't wash it when I get home. The wooden crates and cardboard boxes that produce is transported in often are mildewy and contain mold.

Celeste 10-13-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Do you live in florida? My brother said there's mold in the AIR there when he lived there and you couldn't leave the wash more than a few minutes after it finished or it would mold. The closets couldn't be closed or the carpet would grow mold. Gross!

We live in southwest FL and our stuff does not mold like that at all. *confession* There are days I go to bed without totally cleaning up dinner and nothing is ever moldy when I come down in the morning. What is your ac set at? Is it humid in the house?

EmilytheStrange 10-13-2012 08:54 PM

When we lived on the coast, things molded crazy quick. Perhaps not to that extreme, but enough that I put everything in the fridge: bread, etc.