Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTC - Trying To Conceive (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   long term effects of low progesterone (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453452)

Erinne 10-13-2012 01:08 PM

long term effects of low progesterone

We just had 2 mc due to low progesterone/high estrogen issues, and the more I read about it, the more scared I am getting. I am optimistic that with progesterone supplements that I will be able to stay pregnant when we're ready to try again, but I'm freaking about about the long term effects of the imbalance. I keep reading about the much higher risk of breast cancer, especially, and given that my mom and aunt both had breast cancer, I was already worried about it. I almost feel like not being able to stay pregnant might be like some sort of natural way for me not to subject another child to what I'm feeling like is just inevitable :cry:. I guess I've just always been healthy, and it's not like I thought I was invincible, but realizing that I really could get sick and I have way above-average odds is scaring the crap out of me. I don't know if there's anything anyone can say to help me feel better, but I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

kanga1622 10-13-2012 06:45 PM

Right there with you. We've had two losses when not on prog and DS when on prog. Three generations in my maternal line have lost their life after battling breast cancer.

It is a very scary thought but I am hopeful that in another 30 years they will have better treatments or cures for cancer and my kids will be spared the fight.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Kap7270 10-16-2012 10:18 AM

Re: long term effects of low progesterone

They don't have good studies on this yet, but some doctors believe that treating the low progesterone may help reduce the risks (it certainly makes sense). NaProTechnology doctors use bioidentical progesterone to supplement only in the post-ovulatory phase where your body naturally produces progesterone. It can help with infertility too, but I use it even when not ttc because, like you, I feel the hormone imbalance isn't healthy. They've done a lot of research on the hormone imbalances (targeting on your actual cycles and not a 28 day cycle) and focus on bioidentical hormones instead of the synthetic versions. Let me know if you want any more info on it.
:hugs: I wish it wasn't so scary but I figure that life is uncertain in general. I do everything I can, and then try not to stress.

Erinne 10-16-2012 08:12 PM

Kanga, thanks. You're right that there are improvements in treatment all the time, I should remind myself of that. Sorry to hear about your family history.
Kap, I'll have to ask about that at my next appointment. Right now I'm trying a lot of B6 supplement which apparently can help some, so hopefully it won't come to needing ongoing progesterone, but we'll see. Even if I can get it under control now, I'm still far from even pre-menopause (I mean, hopefully, I'm 26), so I know it's only going to get worse as I get older. I'll pm you after my appointment if I decide to try it, thanks!

Kap7270 10-17-2012 05:15 PM

Hope it all goes well and you get some peace about it.