Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Normal pregnancy symptoms? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453530)

leyash 10-13-2012 06:22 PM

Normal pregnancy symptoms?

I know that there are a million pregnancy symptoms... but I don't remember having hardly ANY of these in my last three pregnancies.

Shaky, lightheaded, weak - ALL at the same time.
Dizzy
Headaches/head pain, typically on one side, or in one spot
Heart palpitations/rapid heartbeat
Feelings of being hot, like... I'm sitting, and my face/neck feels hot

They don't happen at the same time, really. I have pretty bad anxiety, but these don't seem like my "normal" anxiety symptoms.

I'm 10w 3d. Could these all be pregnancy related?

MyM&W 10-13-2012 06:29 PM

Have you had your thyroid checked??

Christylkeller 10-13-2012 06:50 PM

Re: Normal pregnancy symptoms?

This is my 5th pregnancy and the 1st time I have felt ALL of those symptoms except the head pain and the hot feeling other than when I have feeling faint and having rapid heart rate. When I called my OB they asked if I had anxiety which I don't, and then they said my body could be exhibiting anxiety anyways. I also wonder about iron and thyroid and plan on pursuing that at the Dr's this week. Also, make sure that you are well hydrated. I have noticed that the days when I haven't drank enough, the episodes are very strong and days when I have had plenty to drink, the episodes are more mild.

leyash 10-13-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyM&W (Post 15807779)
Have you had your thyroid checked??

No, I haven't. I mean... the nurse felt my neck, and told me to swallow the other day. She was feeling around my thyroid area. As far as bloodwork, I'm not sure that I have had my thyroid checked.

leyash 10-13-2012 06:59 PM

Honestly, the thyroid thing scares me. I know that women can have late losses (13, 14+ weeks) with thyroid problems. It worries me if I have thyroid problems and am 10 1/2 weeks pregnant and it's going unchecked.

leyash 10-13-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christylkeller (Post 15807832)
This is my 5th pregnancy and the 1st time I have felt ALL of those symptoms except the head pain and the hot feeling other than when I have feeling faint and having rapid heart rate. When I called my OB they asked if I had anxiety which I don't, and then they said my body could be exhibiting anxiety anyways. I also wonder about iron and thyroid and plan on pursuing that at the Dr's this week. Also, make sure that you are well hydrated. I have noticed that the days when I haven't drank enough, the episodes are very strong and days when I have had plenty to drink, the episodes are more mild.

Funny you should mention that. I just CHUGGED thirty-two ounces of water, and am already feeling 90% better. I guess I just need to do better with my water intake.

leyash 10-13-2012 07:04 PM

"With an excess of T4 (hyperthyroidism), patients complain of feeling restless, emotionally hyper, and hot and sweaty. They may have tremors, trouble concentrating, and weight loss. Frequent bowel movements and diarrhea are common.

If T4 levels are low (hypothyroidism) as a result of decreased production by the thyroid gland, patients often notice fatigue, lethargy, and weight gain. Constipation is common and many patients with hypothyroidism report feeling excessively cold."

See... I have the hot, and constipation symptoms. The constipation can be related to pregnancy, obviously. Fatigue can as well. I don't feel cold, I do have tremors... I guess. That's only when I am lightheaded or weak, though. I think that's related to blood sugar.

leyash 10-13-2012 07:07 PM

Hmmm. I just read this...

A hormone that develops during pregnancy --human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) -- rises soon after fertilization, peaks at 10 to 12 weeks of gestation, and then declines. HCG can weakly stimulate the thyroid, resulting in a milder, shorter-term form of hyperthyroidism during pregnancy. This transient subclinical hyperthyroidism is also known as gestational transient thyrotoxicosis -- sometimes abbreviated as GTT. GTT usually resolves during the first trimester of pregnancy, and usually does not involve treatment.

That's interesting. I wonder if all of this is just the "peaking" of my hcg levels.

keen1981 10-13-2012 07:09 PM

It's likely just hormonal. This baby has been Nothing like my other three. NOTHING.

And I have hashimotos :)

It's also unlikely that your thyroid is so far out of whack it would cause a loss, and you just find out now. Not saying it couldn't happen, but really it's unlikely.

Call on Monday and ask for your levels to be checked if you are concerned, which you are.

I am, however, hypoglycemic with this baby. And that could be most of issues. I must eat well, and eat at intervals :)

leyash 10-13-2012 07:11 PM

Other symptoms of hyperthyroidism in pregnancy include:
  • Failure to gain weight during pregnancy, or weight loss, despite increased or normal appetite Lost 1/2 lb in two weeks, though I've been vomiting
  • Pulse rate over 100, known as "tachycardia" Normal is about 70-80 for me
  • Heart palpitations
  • Irregular heart rates (arrhythmias) including atrial fibrillation
  • Higher blood pressure blood pressure last check was 121/81
  • Difficulty concentrating I always have this, lol
  • Excessive nausea and vomiting
  • Nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, fidgety behavior always have this
  • Depression, moodiness yeah, I'm pregnant
  • Tremor Only when lightheaded/blood sugar low
  • Intolerance to heat, excessive sweating
  • Diarrhea
  • Arm and leg muscle pain or weakness
  • Difficulty climbing stairs
  • Vision problems: i.e., stare or protrusion of the eyes, blurred vision, double vision, etc. -- also known as ophthalmopathy
  • High heart rate in the baby, typically a heart rate of more than 160 beats per minute last ultrasound showed 160bpm
  • Fatigue, exhaustion again, i'm pregnant with three kids, and i work from home