Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   tongue tie/lip tie questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453559)

songbird516 10-13-2012 08:01 PM

tongue tie/lip tie questions

I didn't put this in breastfeeding because my concerns aren't related to nursing. Despite a tongue tie that was clipped right after birth and I just figured out that he has an upper lip tie also, breastfeeding has gone swimmingly (as you see in my avatar). I just found out about the lip tie, and I'm thinking that it would be best to clip it.
Questions- if you discovered a lip tie after 6 months or so, would anyone acknowledge it, or were your concerns taken seriously?
If your child has a lip tie that wasn't clipped, has it caused any issues? I've read about possible problems with cavities and speech.
How much did it cost and did insurance cover it?

Thanks!

Ashleah143 10-13-2012 08:13 PM

I know dentists will acknowledge lip ties. They can affect front teeth spacing, but that's all I know.

momof3boys1girl 10-13-2012 08:13 PM

Re: tongue tie/lip tie questions

Both my older two boys have lip ties i havnt noticed any speech delays. My yds had a PTT and lip tie so we had his done when he was 6 weeks. i honestly wish i would have had the two older ones done but i knew nothing about ties when they were babies :(. Both did nurse though. Our insurance covered the cost from and ENT under general with a scalpel. I wasnt comfy with that so we paid OOP for laszer by a pediatric dentist who specializes in tongue/lip ties

menthomas 10-13-2012 08:15 PM

I'm so glad you posted this! Ds2 I'm sure has an upper lip tie. I take him in on Tuesday for his 6 month well check and am planning on asking dr about it. I'm worried about spacing issues due to the fact dh had pretty awful teeth. I'll update when I get back from appt.

CarrieMF 10-13-2012 08:21 PM

My youngest has a lip tie. She is 10yo I did not know about it until 2 years ago when she was at the orthodontist. Nobody had ever mentioned it before & it is not related to why she had an appliance. Her 2 front teeth have a gap between them. Cutting it *may* allow them to move together with braces. Putting braces on them without cutting it *may* work too. There is no reason for braces other than putting the 2 teeth together, if it works. We are not doing it(the braces or the clip) unless she asks to have it done.

songbird516 10-13-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menthomas (Post 15808172)
I'm so glad you posted this! Ds2 I'm sure has an upper lip tie. I take him in on Tuesday for his 6 month well check and am planning on asking dr about it. I'm worried about spacing issues due to the fact dh had pretty awful teeth. I'll update when I get back from appt.

Let me know what the doctor says :) we already had Micah's 6 month checkup, and I didn't know then to ask. Apparently everyone on my husband's side of the family has a gap between their front teeth, so my husband thought it was cute and something from his family. I'm glad that someone mentioned lip ties in the breastfeeding section yesterday, though, otherwise I probably wouldn't have known what was causing it. I'd rather get it clipped if there is any risk of long-term effects for his teeth.

songbird516 10-13-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3boys1girl (Post 15808161)
Both my older two boys have lip ties i havnt noticed any speech delays. My yds had a PTT and lip tie so we had his done when he was 6 weeks. i honestly wish i would have had the two older ones done but i knew nothing about ties when they were babies :(. Both did nurse though. Our insurance covered the cost from and ENT under general with a scalpel. I wasnt comfy with that so we paid OOP for laszer by a pediatric dentist who specializes in tongue/lip ties

Do you mind telling me how much you paid OOP? We don't have dental insurance for him, only state health insurance.

ccserrano 10-13-2012 08:33 PM

Not sure but our state insurance covers dental as well. Yours might too! My dd 13 and 22 month old both went to dentist a few months ago...

Mara'sMommy 10-13-2012 10:34 PM

I discovered my dd's upper lip tie when she was around 7 months old. The ENT wanted to put her under general anesthesia to clip it. We decided not to and on her first birthday, at get party, she tripped and split it open. She cried for about 3 minutes, it bled a bit and then she was back to running like a maniac.

It did effect nursing but I found out too late. Actually, it only affected me because she had a bad latch because of it. My newborn also has an upper lip tie, it's only slight. The pedi and my midwife said it doesn't need to be clipped. She has a good latch anyway.

On an older baby/child, I honestly wouldn't bother if my only option was GA. It seems like too much just for a lip tie. Usually kids fall and bust it open, from what in told anyway.

chillimom 10-14-2012 12:16 AM

My DD is 2 and has an upper lip tie. The dentist diagnosed it when she was a year old. It DID cause nursing issues for her - super shallow latch which we've been unable to correct, I just soldiered through. Anyway, her speech is not affected at all - she's very advanced in her language and her pronunciation is quite clear for her age. The dentist said he didn't recommend clipping it at this point, as it will usually end up getting split through regular childhood injuries. If it's still there when she is getting ready to lose her baby teeth they'll clip it then though, as otherwise it will cause a gap in her front teeth when the adult ones come in.

Now that I know about lip tie I'll definitely be looking for it with the squish that's OTW (I had one also as a babe), and will get it clipped right away if there is one. Nursing my DD has been sooooo hard due to the tie and I really don't want to go through that again.