Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Thrifty Vacations? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453603)

EssentialGoodz 10-13-2012 11:34 PM

Thrifty Vacations?

We need a thrifty vacation. My husband and I have been on about 4 or 5 dates in the last 2 years :/ yikes! Yah, that's pretty bad. We are a family of 4. We have 2 young daughters who are 3 and 21 months now. My husband has been in school for a while and has now completed 2 degrees and plans to go back for more. I'm thrilled he finally has a big boy job, and that we can now plan dates and a vacation! Yay! Its been a long time coming. We need/want a getaway.

Please give me your best/favorite vacation options. We plan to save for the next few months and take a trip somewhere. We're thinking 3 nights and 4 days. We live in TX and are considering going to oregon or finding something exciting in TX. Please let me know your ideas :) I would love them! Thank you.

Marianna1988 10-14-2012 12:29 AM

Cruises are pretty thrifty. If you've never been on one, the initial price might be scary. But, they are generally all inclusive (sodas and alcohol cost extra, although each person is allowed to bring a small amount on board). so if you do the math and figure how much you'd spend on rooms, food, and entertainment, cruises are usually cheaper :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Van1300 10-14-2012 08:48 AM

Re: Thrifty Vacations?

If you like the outdoors, camping is thrifty. You can always find a state park near a city too, that way you can still get out and see the city attractions and your lodging costs are cheaper. It does take some good planning and food prep, but we've done it a few times are were able to splurge on a big attraction like a theme park/museum and save in other areas.

CMamma 10-14-2012 09:37 AM

That's 4 or 5 more dates than us lol You're making me want to plan a getaway too!

I would also suggest camping - it's cheap or even free depending on how you plan to camp, things you already have, etc.

soonerfan 10-14-2012 09:53 AM

Cruising can be a great, thrifty option, especially if your schedule is flexible. There are lots of cruises out of Galveston, so you save on airfare, and almost everything is included (including child care on most cruises).

In Texas- San Antonio is a lot of fun with many things to do (Sea World, Riverwalk, Natural Bridge Caverns, zoo, day trip to Gruene, etc). Houston is inexpensive and there is also a ton to do (science museum, great zoo, arboretum, children's museum, downtown aquarium, day trip to Kemah or Galveston, Nasa). Austin, same thing--tons to do. Lots of great state parks in Texas, or you could head west and see Big Bend National Park.

Oregon is amazing, but not really cheap, depending on what you do.

New Mexico is easily drivable from most places in Texas, and you can see lots of cliff dwellings, hiking, snow ski or snow tubing in winter, etc. I also love Durango, Colorado--train, hiking, skiing, natural hot springs, Mesa Verde is 30 miles away.

Our best thrifty vacation was Yellowstone--tons to see, inexpensive places to stay outside the park, just breathtaking.

Hmm--Destin, Florida or Gulf Shores, AL are also great trips within driving distance from Texas. Corpus Christi is a decent beach in Texas.

Any vacation can be done cheaply, if you want it to be. When we travel, we usually drive and make the trip part of the journey. We pack an ice chest so we are not eating fast food, but it also has the added benefit of saving money. We typically price line hotels in big cities.

EssentialGoodz 10-14-2012 01:38 PM

Those are all great ideas that could potentially save some money! I honestly do not love camping though. Lol While it is cheap, I went camping growing up and did not enjoy it. The outdoors are awesome though! I love horseback riding, trout fishing, and walking along trails :) -just want to be indoors for a bedroom ;)

EssentialGoodz 10-14-2012 01:40 PM

We have been on cruises before and I really like them. My husband likes to be in land more to explore abd have his own timeframe for doing things, which I totally understand. I will have to look into it though just see what the prices are.

EssentialGoodz 10-14-2012 01:45 PM

I will have to check into corpus christi and see what its all about- thanks for the suggestions. The idea of takibg a train ride somewhere sounds entertaining as well.

earthflower 10-14-2012 04:19 PM

Sea World, Six Flags, Caves, Museums & Science Centers, Train Rides, Water Parks, Rafting, Boating.

mrspopo 10-14-2012 04:23 PM

We live in oregon and its great! You can stay at the coast in a yurt and enjoy the trails! Or go to the mountains and enjoy all the outdoor activities. Or stay in portland and rent a car to do both! The ocean and mt hood are only an hour away!

We have a lot of family in central oregon, check out the cowboy city of sisters oregon. Stay in bend and check out the lakes and rivers with beautiful mountains in the background.