Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Acne during pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453629)

Mommyto2B2G 10-13-2012 11:55 PM

Acne during pregnancy

I have gotten cystic acne really bad since pregnancy. I have had problems in the past and been using doctor prescribed medications for it. When I became pregnant it was gone (the acne) but I was using it to keep it away. I stopped using it right away because I know some of that stuff isn't pregnancy safe. Well... I stopped it and my acne came back full force and I can't keep it under control. Besides looking like crap it hurts like heck. What can I use for acne? I don't want to use anything not safe. I have an appt in a week where I can ask but I am impatient and want to start using something sooner.

nursemama23 10-14-2012 05:45 AM

Subbing for suggestions. With my previous pregnancies my skin cleared up beautifully but this time it just keeps getting worse. It's also become really dry and irritated. Yay hormones!

carriek38 10-14-2012 08:45 AM

I believe that acne products where the active ingredient is sulfur are safe during pregnancy. I've used a sulfur soap for a couple years w/ pretty good results & I know there are a few masks & spot creams as well.

Mommyto2B2G 10-14-2012 10:15 AM

Re: Acne during pregnancy

sulfur based? Awesome, I'll check at the store today! Thank you. :)

chandni3 10-14-2012 10:23 AM

Benzoyl Peroxide is level C at high doses I believe but your body only absorbs a small amount of what you put on your skin and then you're only using it on a part of your body. It's been used for years and years with no reports of adverse reactions. Some women use it not even thinking that skin care products can be a problem. You could use it only on individual spots or every other night to be more cautious. Also, Salicyclic acid at or below 2% is safe. It's Salicyclic acid that's in asprin that you ingest that is not recommended as it can thin the blood. I used Salicyclic acid face wash (left it on for several mins in the shower) daily and benzyol peroxide a couple times a week while pregnant. I did a lot of research on both of them. Shampoo is probably more dangerous when pregnant than these products.

carriek38 10-14-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandni3 (Post 15809978)
Benzoyl Peroxide is level C at high doses I believe but your body only absorbs a small amount of what you put on your skin and then you're only using it on a part of your body. It's been used for years and years with no reports of adverse reactions. Some women use it not even thinking that skin care products can be a problem. You could use it only on individual spots or every other night to be more cautious. Also, Salicyclic acid at or below 2% is safe. It's Salicyclic acid that's in asprin that you ingest that is not recommended as it can thin the blood. I used Salicyclic acid face wash (left it on for several mins in the shower) daily and benzyol peroxide a couple times a week while pregnant. I did a lot of research on both of them. Shampoo is probably more dangerous when pregnant than these products.

Agreed; I think that the risks associated w/ most topical acne stuff is overblown; if I'm in that position, I'll probably use sulfur-based products b/c I've already had good luck w/ them & I believe they are the "safest". I've not had great luck with salicylic acid anyway, so avoiding it isn't any hardship to me...if it worked better for me, I might still use it on occasion.

Mommyto2B2G 10-14-2012 12:23 PM

Mine was really heavy duty prescription stuff that sometimes burned my skin. I only used the one that wasn't as bad when I found out I was pregnant and the packaging says do not use during pregnancy so it scared me. Ugh I haven't had this problem in over a year. Dang you hormones!

EmilytheStrange 10-14-2012 01:34 PM

I recommend adding witchhazel. Wash (with whatever you choose), tone with witchhazel, and then moisturize.

I had adult acne and discovered the healing properties of witchhazel in my 30's and it's been a lifesaver. Pregnancy hasn't been able to screw with my face and I generally blame that on the witchhazel as well.

ETA: I also discovered that I cannot use any products with salycilic acid in them. My skin erupts. So, I avoid that. Benzoyl peroxide is good, but there are several other active ingredients that you can find in cleansers. Most things seem to rely on SA though.

momneedssupport 10-14-2012 04:31 PM

Ive been using the witchhazel and my acne has cleared up amazingly.my dry patches, not so much.

The Fancy Pansy 10-14-2012 05:49 PM

I also use witch hazel. I just take a bottle and add a few drops of TTO and lavender to it, and use it morning and night on a cotton ball.