Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Cat Litter!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453654)

GreyMum 10-14-2012 06:54 AM

Cat Litter!!!

I've concluded that my cats prefer Fresh Step cat litter, which I buy at my regular grocery store. This is the clay kind, not the clumping kind. I did a search for coupons and couldn't find any on-line.

Wondering if you all have any secrets for finding cheap cat litter!

Thanks!

SenoraE 10-14-2012 09:15 AM

Re: Cat Litter!!!

We use Special Kitty from Walmart. It is the light gray large pieces that we prefer. I HATE the little tiny sand like dark gray kind.

evasimone 10-14-2012 10:32 AM

Not really but I am interested. We only use fresh step, I can't stand the cheap kinds that have tons of dust! I have gotten good deals at Target, sometimes they will have buy 3 cat letters and get $5 gc. Target is comparable to petsmart in price. I also can usually find a coupon in the Sunday paper for freshstep.

5PrincessMommy 10-14-2012 03:11 PM

Oh I just got a cat so interested!

P!nkPepper 10-14-2012 03:22 PM

We have been using wood pellets & it works well. Cheap too. $5 for 40 lbs.

Jodie ~ wife & mama

Resellmybelle 10-14-2012 03:38 PM

We get pine pellets from the feed store, might be the same as pp, the kind you fill horses stalls with.

Very cheap, think 40lbs for 8 bucks. I place it in the compost to put on ornamentals, breaks down quickly.

My mom uses worlds best cat litter, she is liking that. She does the same thing, puts it in her flower beds to break down.

ETA: to wean them off clay litter, we reduced the clay litter by half then added half pellets, then later by a quarter, eventually weening them off entirely. Took maybe a month of weaning.

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-14-2012 04:26 PM

we use the walmart scoopable. works just as well as the name brand but much cheaper

amcess721 10-14-2012 09:01 PM

We used to use aldi litter in the jugs, but switched to the BJ's brand in the big purple box when we finally got a local BJ's.

Interested in the pellets you gals are using though... what happens with the poo? With regular litter it gets all clumpy - do the cats still bury it using the pellets? You don't just spread poo chunks on the garden, right? (Sorry, can't really say it much cleaner) :giggle:

Resellmybelle 10-14-2012 09:06 PM

I think I mentioned I composted mine and put on ornamentals.

GreyMum 10-14-2012 09:16 PM

I'll be going to the feed store this week anyway (for dog food) so I will try the pine pellets! Couldn't hurt to try. I'll mix it with the Fresh Step and hope they like it!