Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Consigning clothes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453701)

love2row 10-14-2012 10:14 AM

Consigning clothes

We just found out last week that we are expecting a little girl in March. Our son is now 2, and I had been holding on to all of his old clothes in case we had another boy. This will most likely (like 99%) be our last child, and as I was looking at a pile of too-small clothes waiting to be put away, I began to wonder if it was worth it. I'm just curious how many went ahead and consigned/sold the clothes of their older children before the new one came. I know some of this is a bizarre attachment to a few outfits that DS wore that I know I won't be able to use again, but thought I'd ask for advice and experience. Thanks.

ajane 10-14-2012 10:31 AM

Unless you have a specific consignment store and name brand clothes (Ralph Lauren, Baby Gap, Hartstrings, Janie and Jack) I would just donate.

Once Upon a Child is an absolute disgrace. The literally give you nothing. I had a brand new w/tags Ralph Lauren shirt and they were going to give me $2 for it.

If they aren't name brand clothes I would just donate. You can get the most money from a tax write off. Just keep an itemized list, take a pic of the clothes, and get a donation slip. I know turbotax tells you how much you get for each item depending on condition.

MattiMaman 10-14-2012 11:22 AM

I am a consignaholic. :). I have already consigned 75% of my son's clothes even though we are planning on more children...just not worth it to me to keep everything in case gender, size and season match up! It's a lot of work, but I typically earn enough each season to buy next season's wardrobe. I do local seasonal sales twice a year, and I am able to dress my DS in almost all upscale brands-boutique, Janie and Jack, Gymbo and Baby Gap. Another bonus of consigning at seasonal sales is that you keep 70% of sales and get to shop before the public.

I would go for it-keep one bin of favorites and let go of the rest! Especially if you can get it out of the house before the LO arrives. :)

MattiMaman 10-14-2012 11:24 AM

I agree with ajane about OUAC-you'll get pennies. Local sales are the way to go, IME.

Babybird4 10-14-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattiMaman
I am a consignaholic. :). I have already consigned 75% of my son's clothes even though we are planning on more children...just not worth it to me to keep everything in case gender, size and season match up! It's a lot of work, but I typically earn enough each season to buy next season's wardrobe. I do local seasonal sales twice a year, and I am able to dress my DS in almost all upscale brands-boutique, Janie and Jack, Gymbo and Baby Gap. Another bonus of consigning at seasonal sales is that you keep 70% of sales and get to shop before the public.

I would go for it-keep one bin of favorites and let go of the rest! Especially if you can get it out of the house before the LO arrives. :)

This!! I am expecting #3 which will be our last and just sold off a bunch of my girls' old stuff and made enough to get their winter wardrobes and stuff for the baby (boy). I love being able to shop early and get the best stuff and not worry about spending so much bc I got most of it back in what I sold. I will never do OUAC again.

April, mommy to Haylea (8/18/09), Hannah (5/22/11) and baby Hogan due 12/12/12! *sent from my iPhone*

Aubrey<3Gavin 10-14-2012 02:50 PM

Don't do consignment stores. Do the consignment sales at places like churches, etc... It is a bit of work, but money is money. I broke even this Fall. Made just enough to cover what I bought, so I'm good with that. I don't have the space to hold on to a lot of clothes, and chances are high that even if we have another girl in the future the seasons won't match up. And besides,I will want to buy new (to me) cute clothes for future kiddos! I really only held onto pajamas that could be for any season and some cute onesies. Otherwise, it all gets sold. Now that she is bigger I'm not really saving anything.

Just be realistic when you are pricing things. Mamas that shop consignment sales are in it to find a good deal and they know what prices should be. I probably under price mine a little to be honest, but most things sold quickly so that's nice! I'd rather lose $.50 than not sale it at all, you know? Besides....if it doesn't sale I'm just going to donate it because I don't have the space to keep it. And I remember how grateful and excited I am when I score awesome deals and I like thinking that somewhere out there I've made another mama's day and she's saying, "can you believe I got this for such a great price?!"

ISO......BG 4.0 in aplix

Rhianna'sMommy 10-14-2012 03:50 PM

Re: Consigning clothes

It all depends on the consignment store whether it is worth it or not and what you're ultimately wanting.

A consignment store here in our tiny town takes anything and everything but when I asked about having them consign my stuff they'd only give me about 10% of sales and they priced stuff dirt cheap. Totally not worth it.

The consignment shop about 20 miles from us is very picky about what they accept - it has to all but look new. They price reasonably (and have mostly name brand stuff). You get 40-50% of what it sells for. It was totally worth it when I had tons of all but new baby stuff that was outgrown before it could show much wear. I got more or less garage sale pricing on stuff but none of the work of setting up a garage sale. For big stuff if I wanted to get rid of it in non garage sale season I got a decent price for the stuff but could do slightly better at a garage sale.

So ask how the consignment shop does consignments. Look around the store and judge their pricing (if you're getting a percentage) and then decide for yourself if it is worth it. I rarely consign anymore because my kids put too much wear and tear on stuff. But I made good money when I did but didn't have the hassle of pricing and selling it myself.