Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   poop training? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453721)

Emma 10-14-2012 11:49 AM

poop training?

DH partially potty trained our 2 yr old DD in June. For the most part, she'll use the potty to pee (we still have to remind her sometimes, or just put her on the potty if it's been a long enough time since she last went).

However, she does not go poop in the potty. She's done it once or twice on accident, and though we heaped praise and chocolate chips on her, she hasn't done it again. She'll either wait until she's in a diaper at bedtime, or she'll just go in her underwear.

How do I train her to go poop in the potty?

amcess721 10-14-2012 02:11 PM

Re: poop training?

Is she constipated at all? We didn't think my DD was, but she was doing the same thing. We started giving her a little bit (teaspoon) daily of metamucil in water for breakfast and called it "red juice to help her poop" and it gave her just enough of an urge that she was going more frequently and it wasn't as hard anymore - I wouldn't even say she was truely constipated, but it certainly helped!

Emma 10-14-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amcess721 (Post 15810776)
Is she constipated at all? We didn't think my DD was, but she was doing the same thing. We started giving her a little bit (teaspoon) daily in water for breakfast and called it "red juice to help her poop" and it gave her just enough of an urge that she was going more frequently and it wasn't as hard anymore - I wouldn't even say she was truely constipated, but it certainly helped!

This sounds similar to what I think might be going on w/DD. What did you mix in w/the water?

amcess721 10-14-2012 07:49 PM

Whoops ... orange metamucil. he he he... guess I left out the important part of my message!

amehrkens 10-16-2012 01:34 PM

I am going through this same thing. I came here today to hopefuuly find some answers. My little guy has been pee potty trained since January, so 10 months now. He rerely has a pee accident and wakes up dry every single day. However much like your dd he has only pooped on the potty about twice and pretty much by accident. I have done and tried everything I can possible think of., . DS was 3 in June, I have 4 kids the girls were both potty trained at 18 months and my oldest son at 27 months, all three of them just did it, they weren't hard to train at all and all three of them did both pee and poop at the same time. I am beyond frustrated. I finally resorted to using pullups as I was so sick of cleaning poop out of undies and my CD's.

tobmom 10-18-2012 02:05 PM

Same thing for me right now! DS will be 3 in 2 weeks and he is basically fully potty trained, even holds his pee at nap times and sometimes over night, but he refuses to go poop on the potty. The 2 times he did it we even took him to the store to get a new toy! Then we constantly reminded him when he played with the toy that he got it for going poop on the potty and how proud we were of him, etc. But 99% of the time he waits until he's in a pull up for bedtime or goes outside and does it in his underwear :/

I just don't know what to do either. We've tried candy, toys, praise, etc. Recently we've even been putting him in time-out for pooping in his underwear. He knows he needs to go on the potty.

organicmama10 10-20-2012 10:06 PM

We've the polar opposite with our DS. He's been pooped trained since Jan and he's almost 26 mos. we're still working on the pee. He doesn't seem to mind when he's wet (diapers or trainers) and have times gone without pants on! Although in the last few days I've noticed that he's picked up the signs when he needs to go pee and peed in the potty!

One of the kids at daycare has similar issue where she wouldn't go poo on the potty at all. She'll go in her underwear several times a day! No rewards, praise, whatsoever worked. I think she may be rebellious and maybe just not ready to go. Have you tried books or the special potty that "sings" when they go? There are also potty dolls to help illustrate as well. We haven't tried any of them since our DS mastered pooping on the potty right away but may be helpful.

Shimpie 10-20-2012 11:43 PM

I had not been successful at getting dd to poo on the potty until she was in the bathroom with me four days ago. TMI warning....She heard my BM splash in the toilet water and it suddenly got her attention, "What was that Mama? Was that your poo?" :blush: She was giggling over the noise, so I decided to run with it and told her that she could hear her poo plop in the water too if she pooped on the toilet. I reminded her about plopping poo with every trip to the potty unti she finally needed to go #2. Success! So far she's had 3 successful poops on the toilet. Yay! Try it out on your little ones. I won't patent it.....yet.:mrgreen:

amehrkens 10-22-2012 01:07 PM

Still no luck here.....thinking I will maybe try the time out thing. I haven't really tried punishment for fear of making it worse but maybe I will try that. The thing is, he knows exactly what he is doing, he hides every time he poops and most of the time he will go to the bathoorm, empty out his underwear, redress himself and go about his business....ugh frustrating!

Foxfiregrrl 10-22-2012 07:02 PM

I came to ask the same question and saw that you guys were already discussing. My son turned 3 in September. He's been pee potty trained since early September but does not want to go poo in the potty. At daycare they work on it a lot, so he has taken to holding it until he comes home. He then usually goes within a half hour of coming home. I've tried to monitor him closely, but right when we get home is always a bit crazy so he slips it past me. He went for about 3 days recently w/out going and I was worried that he was making himself constipated so when he finally went I opted not to try to get him to the potty that time. I know for a fact that on an ongoing daily basis he is not constipated though. I just don't know what to do because none of the treats or even the idea that he can wear big boy underwear seems to matter to him.

Gonna stay tuned to see if you guys come up with any good ideas :goodvibes: Good luck to us all!