Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   I am a wrapping wannabe (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453851)

stephcrouse 10-14-2012 07:14 PM

I am a wrapping wannabe

:hide:
Here we go again, I have 2 really nice woven shorties that I just had to have and searched and searched for, and I haven't used either of them. :blush: The idea of babywearing my 19 month old is what really works for me, but not the actual process of it... I go to get him out of the carseat and it just seems easier to stick him in the grocery buggy, shopping stroller or his stroller. He is heavy, and I am tiny, tired, and weak. I don't really think he wants to be worn either, as I tried for a while when he was little, but not since. Should I just sell these wraps back off and forget it, or how can I make it work?

itiswhatitis1984 10-14-2012 07:23 PM

I originally got the moby wrap because of all the great reviews. I found the wrapping to be cumbersome but figured I'd get used to it. I never did :( meanwhile I got a rs from sbp and fell in love with that. The first time I tried it out with my niece I had her in and ready to go in about 30-45 seconds. At that point I realized the wrapping/moby just wasn't for me. With the rs you just pop them in and out easily. I also have an olives & applesauce (ssc) and still think the rs is way faster. Especially if you are just running into a store. Jan from sleeping baby productions does convert wraps to rs so you could try one and still get to use your wrap (just in a different way). Hope this all made sense and is helpful.

stephcrouse 10-14-2012 07:43 PM

Re: I am a wrapping wannabe

I have tried a lot of the soft structured carriers, as well as a ring sling. I never can get them adjusted! :headscratch: Maybe it is just me... I think my largest need for a carrier right now is for quick in and outs without the stroller, like picking my ods from preschool.

itiswhatitis1984 10-14-2012 08:36 PM

When you tried the rs was it a padded one? Those aren't as adjustable as a non padded one. My sil had used a padded one a while ago and didn't care for it. Then she tried mine and fell in love with it. I couldn't imagine if it had padding and I couldn't get it as tight as I needed it. Without the padding I don't feel like its uncomfortable. I was worried about that but mine from sbp hugs my shoulder beautifully!

greencrunchymama 10-14-2012 08:44 PM

I'd probably sell them and try a SSC. It would probably be the easiest for you. We have two Bobas and love them!

stephcrouse 10-15-2012 04:33 AM

I have a boba air, but I feel like he is almost too big to carry on front now. I don't like the way back carries with a ssc make my gut look. :blush:

I have tried a maya rs (padded) and a pure linen unpadded. I will check out the sbp page...

I am beginning to think it would be smarter to sell...

thtr4me 10-15-2012 02:00 PM

Wait, don't give up yet! What size wraps do you have, and what carries have you tried? We can make this work!

For really quick carries and a shorty, ruck tied under bum is fantastic. Leah's video here is really good and very thorough. Once you have the hang of it, you can toss LO up on your back in this carry in under a minute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssPF2gZZTPI

stephcrouse 10-15-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thtr4me (Post 15815089)
Wait, don't give up yet! What size wraps do you have, and what carries have you tried? We can make this work!

For really quick carries and a shorty, ruck tied under bum is fantastic. Leah's video here is really good and very thorough. Once you have the hang of it, you can toss LO up on your back in this carry in under a minute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssPF2gZZTPI

I have a size 2 Didy Caribe and a size 2 Girasol purple Amitola. I have tried rebozo and with a very uncooperative 25 lb toddler, it didnt work out well...

thtr4me 10-15-2012 06:22 PM

Any carry can be hard with an uncooperative toddler. I wrapped DS2 when leaving the Science Center yesterday, and it was far from a good wrap job. Enough to hold my tantruming wee one to my back while we got to the car and that was about it.

It does take practice to get wrapping down. And having an uncooperative wee one can make that hard. I watched tons of videos, and practiced my technique with a stuffed animal before trying with DS1. That really helped. Once I got him up for the first time, I had muscle memory of how to get the wrap where I wanted, and it made it easier to get him safely up and securely wrapped.

corinne76 10-15-2012 06:26 PM

Ds is the same age and pretty uncooperativ if he doesn't want to go up. Even today i fought with him and got him into a quick ruck. Once he was back there, he knocked out. Have you tried a ruck tied under bum? Or maybe go for a little more length and do a ruck tied in front so you have those crosses under his legs if he tries to pop out of the carry.