Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Organic/Natural kids mattress (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453858)

Talia01 10-14-2012 08:38 PM

Organic/Natural kids mattress

DH & I are shopping for a mattress for our 2 year old. We are really wanting to buy the most natural & best quality we can afford, but our budget isn't huge ($1000) and we live in Canada. Any recommendations?
Thanks!!

Talia01 10-18-2012 10:02 AM

Bump- anyone?
I looked at ikea and they have one that seems to fit my ideals- it is the Sultan Edsele, 85%natural latex, 15%synthetic latex, wool and 100%cotton ticking....
The other one I've been looking at is the Naturepedic twin mattress but it is more $ and has a waterproof coating on it that is apparently food grade but makes me nervous?!
Anyone use either of these two?
DH and I will be picking one out this weekend hopefully and I would love some real reviews before buying.
I also keep thinking if just a regular ikea mattress (no flame retardants) with an organic wool mattress pad/pillow/duvet/sheets.

:)

harmoni247 10-18-2012 11:34 AM

Re: Organic/Natural kids mattress

It depends on what your concerns are: if you are worried about natural materials but unconcerned with fire retardants, then IKEA seems a really good option. If you are concerned with fire retardants, you'll need to find a mattress online that requires a prescription to purchase. It's the only way out of that law. Or you can research which fire retardants you feel more comfortable with. Or you can make your own if you can sew.

There is no commercially available mattress made of all natural materials that can withstand the CPSC test, so IKEA is not flame retardant free. They might just use a different method, i.e. some companies who use antimony claim that they don't use fire retardant since it's woven into the fabric itself....that doesn't mean it's safe though. I'm not saying this is the method they use....there are no labeling requirements for fire retardants, so there's not much customers can do but trust the claim (kind of like "all natural" is listed on some very unnatural and/or unhealthy foods since there are no regulations for "all natural"). However, the only loop hole listed in the CPSC website is a requirement for a prescription if anyone wants to sell a mattress that doesn't meet their standard. So that's really the only thing we can trust completely. If you don't need a prescription, it has some sort of flame retardant.

I listed the link with all of this info in the thread "Mattress questions" if you'd like more info. ETA: here's that post: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...24&postcount=8

Talia01 10-18-2012 12:31 PM

Thanks for the link! I am impressed you made your own!! Awesome!

gauchainla 10-18-2012 02:00 PM

You sewed a MATTRESS? :thumbsup: I'm impressed as well.

What did you fill it with? Was it costly and did you use a pattern or did you just figure it out as you went along?

harmoni247 10-19-2012 09:46 AM

We were making 4 of them so our budget was lower per mattress. We spent aroung 1000 on everything for 1 crib, 2 twins, 1 queen. We decided on a traditiinal japanese futon, and added a featherbed on top. Its MUCH firmer, but after a week we adjusted and our backs feel better than before. However, if you have a better budget you could do a lot more. You could use a lot more wool for more give and more feathers for plushness (fwiw, i sourced my materials from ethical/organic sources...local when possible (theres a sheep farm in the next state) and was still able to keep my budget). Even if you want a latex mattress, you can buy any size and thickness of natural latex online, wrap in wool batting, sew an organic cotton tick (the outer cover) and you have a comletely fire retardant free organic mattress. Latex IS the most expensive homemade option though. As for sewing, I just made it up as i went along. It was very easy and im not an expert sewer. I just made a box the size i needed and sewed buttons along one side, fill and button. It was also pretty easy to copy a featherbed pattern with squares...you just have to make sure you get a tighter count fabric.

Eta: Forgot to add that I cut some thin wool interlock to lay on top of each mattress to protect it.

LRL 10-19-2012 03:54 PM

Wow, I am impressed that you made your own mattress! Here's what we bought after extensive research.

We bought the kids spring mattresses from a local mattress store called European Sleepworks (they might ship?!). They are made from cotton and have a layer of wool which eliminates the need for borates. We picked them up from their factory, and it smelled heavenly there- just like pure cotton. When we put together their bedroom there was no weird smells at all! Here is their website: European Sleepworks.

We *just* purchased a mattress for ourselves which is 75% natural dunlop latex with a 25% topper which is 85% natural and 15% synthetic for stability. We will be adding a wool mattress pad, organic sheets, and a wool comforter. It's EXPENSIVE being chemical free-ish/natural!!! We bought our mattress from Rocky Mountain Mattress.

mamaspice 10-19-2012 03:57 PM

We got our daughter's natural latex mattress at Organic Grace. They have both mattresses and build your own supplies. Organicgrace.com I think.

Melinda29 10-19-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talia01 (Post 15827840)
Bump- anyone?
I looked at ikea and they have one that seems to fit my ideals- it is the Sultan Edsele, 85%natural latex, 15%synthetic latex, wool and 100%cotton ticking....
The other one I've been looking at is the Naturepedic twin mattress but it is more $ and has a waterproof coating on it that is apparently food grade but makes me nervous?!
Anyone use either of these two?
DH and I will be picking one out this weekend hopefully and I would love some real reviews before buying.
I also keep thinking if just a regular ikea mattress (no flame retardants) with an organic wool mattress pad/pillow/duvet/sheets.

:)

The Naturepedic is sealed in polyethylene, which is the same material a ziploc bag is made from, and is perfectly safe to sleep on. It does not off-gas or leach chemicals or anything else. The reason they do that is so the govt-required flame retardents are completely sealed inside so it can't be absorbed or inhaled. The other benefit is that is prevents fungus from growing inside the mattress--which is a very common occurance with natural wool, latex, and cotton--and can be a big allergy trigger. Mattresses are incredibly difficult to clean and so this makes it easy to simply wipe down.

I don't have a Naturepedic mattress but I did buy a polyethylene cover to encase our all-natural crib mattress. The statistics linking toxic gas from fungus in crib mattresses to SIDS cases was too compelling for me.

Talia01 10-20-2012 05:13 AM

Well after doing a bit of research on flame retardant laws in Canada (diff from the US) I settled on a Natura mattress. It is made from natural latex, wool and cotton. Apparently because of the high wool content it meets fire regulations without the need for any added chemicals (boric acid etc). It has a 20year warranty so we went for the full size so that he won't outgrow it ;)
We know now to start saving for ds2 mattress!!
If I knew how to sew I would absolutely have that road.
Now to find some organic sheets that are 'fun'...maybe Etsy? It wouldn't make sense to have an organic bed/pillow/duvet and use sheets that have been treated:S