Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Pantry Challenge...Find the old thread, or start a new one :) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453860)

HillbillyMama 10-14-2012 07:42 PM

Pantry Challenge...Find the old thread, or start a new one :)

I remember a while back, maybe a year-ish ago, there was a pantry challenge thread, but when I type that in, I get no results. I am about to embark on a challenge myself and would LOVE to find this old thread, or see if anyone else wants to start a new one!

The Challenge was that you had to make the best use of your pantry possible, with only shopping when you had nothing you could reasonably work with anymore (I *think* that's how it was LOLOL!!!!)

Mama2ManyBoyz 10-15-2012 05:12 AM

Re: Pantry Challenge...Find the old thread, or start a new one :)

I LOVED that challenge. We did it a few times I think. Let's start a new one and if I can find the thread I'll link it up. Great time to start one as we approach the holidays. Lets put all that grocery savings into the Christmas budget! Not to mention we can restock an empty freezer with the holiday hams/turkeys! This can look however you would like it to from week to week. Not going to the store at all, eating the fruits and veggies you have on hand or canned. Going to the store only for staples and produce. Or even just using up something in the pantry and buying the rest of your ingredients. It all depends on what kind of stockpile you have going or how much your pantry has diminished over the challenge. For me it will vary as we go through, but my goal will be to clear everything out of the fridge/freezer/cabinets/stockpile to start the year fresh stocking up on great sales. I always seem to pass things by and then they end up being past their prime so I'm looking for a fresh slate, no pun intended.

HillbillyMama 10-15-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz (Post 15812952)
I LOVED that challenge. We did it a few times I think. Let's start a new one and if I can find the thread I'll link it up. Great time to start one as we approach the holidays. Lets put all that grocery savings into the Christmas budget! Not to mention we can restock an empty freezer with the holiday hams/turkeys! This can look however you would like it to from week to week. Not going to the store at all, eating the fruits and veggies you have on hand or canned. Going to the store only for staples and produce. Or even just using up something in the pantry and buying the rest of your ingredients. It all depends on what kind of stockpile you have going or how much your pantry has diminished over the challenge. For me it will vary as we go through, but my goal will be to clear everything out of the fridge/freezer/cabinets/stockpile to start the year fresh stocking up on great sales. I always seem to pass things by and then they end up being past their prime so I'm looking for a fresh slate, no pun intended.

I am trying to get my freezers cleaned out for a 1/4 of a pig and a deer to go in them!!!LOL!!! PLUS, we are broker than two jokes and I need to save money where I can....I am game to setting it up anyway that works for those that want to do it/need the accountability!! I personally am going to try to stay away from the store until I absolutely HAVE to shop:goodvibes:

peverroad 10-15-2012 05:58 AM

I'm in I need to do a panty clear out

2+2macht4 10-15-2012 06:01 AM

I do not have a stocked pantry I would not get very far at all. Something always comes up we never have extra to purchase extras and when we do we eat those at the end of the week to extend time between shopping trips. Bulk is not a common concept in Germany, so we dont have big portions of staples. But I would read a long

Skatha89 10-15-2012 07:56 AM

I would be in, but would need to still go get staples weekly (produce, milk, eggs etc) is that allowed?

qsefthuko 10-15-2012 08:06 AM

I'm game but think I have an advantage. I just went shopping for the month. So I know I have what I need for at least 30 days except for milk and fresh produce. I may run out of some spices though.

HillbillyMama 10-15-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skatha89 (Post 15813357)
I would be in, but would need to still go get staples weekly (produce, milk, eggs etc) is that allowed?

From what I remember, the last one allowed for that...Course, we are doing a new one, so I say we do what we *need* to do, KWIM? I also will need to get eggs, milk, etc....but I want to put it off as long as possible in making trips! I have to go tonight or tomorrow and get eggs, but I am thinking about getting at least 3 weeks worth and see if I can go that long without going in the store!

HillbillyMama 10-15-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 15813389)
I'm game but think I have an advantage. I just went shopping for the month. So I know I have what I need for at least 30 days except for milk and fresh produce. I may run out of some spices though.

According to my husband, I have 6 years worth of food....But you know how husbands love to make things out differently than they really are:goodvibes: I only have about a weeks worth of meat, so that's going to be the challenge...I am going to have to halve most of these packs to stretch out and make due til our little piggy returns from the processor :)

Holly dolly 10-15-2012 08:27 AM

Oooh! I love this idea! I have some meat in my freezer that needs to be used...this might make me organize!! :D