Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   May I Please Rant About Baby Boy Clothes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453909)

loveramongstars 10-14-2012 10:57 PM

May I Please Rant About Baby Boy Clothes?

I am currently pregnant and am expecting my first boy. I am a single mom so I hate when I go for just onesies or cute outfits everything has on it "Daddy's" something. I am sorry, but mommy also loves you and wants you to be her "all-star".
I also hate Monkeys. They are everywhere and not the cutest thing! I love dogs, baseball, and teddy bears. I hate Monkeys and they are everywhere!
The amount of "cute" clothes there are for boys versus girls. Girls have so many styles. Boys have two: "nice" and "t-shirt". Girls have "punk", "girly", "baby", "Disney", and so many others.
When I was at Target, I could not differentiate between the Baby Boys (newborn-5T) and Baby Girls (newborn-5T). I am not one to say yes to "gender differences", but when I am looking for jeans for boys, I want jeans for boys. I do not want to look all over to find them. I wish that stores would be more helpful to mothers of boys. Girls get the cute clothes. I just want my little boy to look presentable. It is even hard to find cute onesies.
Why can't my Little Boy look like he deserves to be respected?

These are all based upon clothes I have seen at Target, Wal-Mart, Babies R Us, and various "discount stores".

happysmileylady 10-14-2012 11:06 PM

Re: May I Please Rant About Baby Boy Clothes?

I am so sorry you are having such a problem. I just gave birth to my only boy two days ago...and maybe I just got lucky. Currently, he's in one of those newborn "gowns"-you know those awesome long baby sleepwear things that are just open at the bottom to make changing super easy. It's a tan color, with brown and darker tan and blue and black puppy prints all over it, and has a little patch/tag thing that says dog gone cute. It's really cute. It's a carters outfit.

Earlier her had a onsie on that said "mommy's hansome little devil" and it was red. He's got a pretty even mix of "Mommy's Little" and "daddy's little." stuff.

But, I got all of his first year wardrobe at one garage sale, all in one fell swoop, for $15

My biggest problem though is that so much of EVERYTHING is blue. I don't have a problem with blue for boys and pink for girls, but my girls have pink and purple and blue and yellow etc etc etc. Even outside of what we bought, it's as if it HAS to have blue just to be for little boys, because girls have co-opted so much else!

Resellmybelle 10-14-2012 11:07 PM

I guess everyone is different, obviously, but I really like to see boys and girls in clothes that don't have sayings on them and distract from the appearance of the child himself. I cannot stand all the writing & plastic looking words, advertising and cartoons on clothing these days.

Would you like for him to wear nice button up plaid shirts or striped, solid polos? I kind of like those sorts of things on children and babies. Sorry the options are so limited. Most of what I see for babies or children I would not put on my baby.

LeslieT 10-14-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveramongstars (Post 15812476)
I also hate Monkeys. They are everywhere and not the cutest thing! I love dogs, baseball, and teddy bears. I hate Monkeys and they are everywhere!
".

:laugh: DS3 is 5, and 5.5 years ago I was complaining that all I could find were frogs and puppies. Monkeys must be the new frog.

I found Janie & Jack was the best place for not-obnoxious baby clothes. Yeah they're really expensive, but they also have great sales. I have good luck a lot of the time at Gymboree & Crazy 8, too--all three of those stores are the same company, so their stuff coordinates well.

Alaga 10-14-2012 11:29 PM

Lol, I complain about this all the time. I didn't realize how spoiled I was with DD. I find it much harder to find clothes I like for DS. I especially hate all the the sayings on everything. No, he's not "Mommy's little rock star". :banghead:

I do like monkeys though. DS is sleeping in a monkey sleeper, lol! :hide:

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-14-2012 11:39 PM

wm has nice onesies without characters or text

newmommy13 10-14-2012 11:44 PM

I just got my first little dfs and am so enjoying shopping for him! I dont usually buy things with words or pictures on them for him or dd, mostly solids, stripes, plaids. I do like monsters and bugs for both though! I dont ever get anything light colored likr baby blue, yellow, light green. Only navy, brown, black, charcoal some with lighter colored stripes mixed in.

Its the shoes that are killing me. Dd has dozens of shoes, in her current size mind you lol and he only has 2 pair right now, brown stride rite and black chucks that match dds. If I can keep the sure buying to a minimum I will consider myself reformed.

loveramongstars 10-15-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resellmybelle
I guess everyone is different, obviously, but I really like to see boys and girls in clothes that don't have sayings on them and distract from the appearance of the child himself. I cannot stand all the writing & plastic looking words, advertising and cartoons on clothing these days.

Would you like for him to wear nice button up plaid shirts or striped, solid polos? I kind of like those sorts of things on children and babies. Sorry the options are so limited. Most of what I see for babies or children I would not put on my baby.

I actually would, but not all the time. I don't so I do want him to match mommy sometimes. :giggle: I don't like plain shirts except as undershirts, so I know I'm picky.

Sent from my Inspire. Hope everything makes sense!

dncegrl 10-15-2012 12:24 AM

I still get frustrated on boys choices for clothes. And my ods is 7!
I did find a lot of mommy shirts for my ds2. I found most at goodwill and in like new condition.
I like monkeys too so his wardrobe has monkeys all over. Lol

waterisntsomething 10-15-2012 12:25 AM

Try the thrift stores...a lot of the older boys clothes are really cute. I got all of DS's clothes from rummage sales and used from people. I don't think I paid more than $25 total on everything he's worn so far. He only has maybe 2 or 3 things that have dad or daddy on them.