Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How to stop using boob as a pacifier? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453917)

Catbutt Diapers 10-14-2012 10:32 PM

How to stop using boob as a pacifier?

My daughter can not be comforted by anything but boob, she used to take a soother, but now absolutely refuses it. When she is tired or scared or anything she can't be calmed by ANYTHING other than boob. How do you I start weaning her off the comfort nursing and get her back on a real pacifier?

Connor 10-14-2012 11:52 PM

No real advice. I say if she wants to comfort nurse just let her. :)

starbeam 10-15-2012 12:21 AM

Re: How to stop using boob as a pacifier?

lol, you don't. give it a few weeks/months. keep trying the pacifier now and then, but don't be too agressive. try different types: soothie, nuk, avent, etc. it will work eventually, but as i said, may take a while

isabelsmummy 10-16-2012 12:04 AM

What if dad gives the pacifier? Or you leave and dad looks after her?
She'll fuss more for him most likely but only until she gets used to him soothing her.

starbeam 10-16-2012 01:41 AM

that's a good idea ^

as long as you're there, she's like, "well turn on the tap! why take a fake when the real thing is right here?!" i've read that babies can smell mom's milk from quite a way off. so you might just have to leave for a while when this happens until she gets used to some other soothing methods.

l_Kimmie_l 10-16-2012 09:14 AM

My 2nd never got over me as a paci. Not until he weaned. DS3 I made sure to put his soothy in after he was done milk. I attached it to my nipple and carried it between my boobs so it smelled like Momma milk. Unfortunately it worked and he still has it at 3 yrs old - sigh.

DS4 is 6 months old. He took a paci for only 3 months and then once my supply increased he no longer would take one. He unlatches after nursing to sleep. I notice when he is done nursing he will pop on and off the boob and rather not be latched on.

Each baby is different. If yours wants the boob as a paci, then you may not be able to break the habit for some time. I know mine that was like that lived on me.

Liadan23 10-16-2012 04:45 PM

neither of my kids have been big on the paci. dd will take it sometimes. ds would eagerly take it, take a couple frantic sucks, pause, realize there was no milk forthcoming, spit it out and scream in rage. every.single.time. he never did take a paci. *shrug* after a couple months, i really stopped trying. how old is your baby? after 6-8 weeks i found both of my kids started to get better about hanging out on my boob all the time. it probably took until 3 months or so though before i felt like they were mostly just nursing to eat and then being done. dd will still comfort nurse at night, but i'm usually nursing her in bed, so i can sleep too. during the day, she latches on, eats her fill, and then moves on with her life :) she's 4.5 months now. if she gets really worked up about something, then yea, generally she nurses to calm herself. she has to be REALLY worked up for nothing else to work though (ie, walking, patting her back) ds was worse about this. he was such a little boobie monster! but even he got better the older he got.

the upside to a kid who won't take a paci is that you don't have to worry about breaking them of it later! :)

qsefthuko 10-16-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 15812760)
No real advice. I say if she wants to comfort nurse just let her. :)

Yeah. This.

The babies who use pacis are using them like breasts. Babies who comfort nurse are using breasts like.. well breasts. Your breasts were intended to provide comfort, security and nourishment.

Honestly I have no idea how to wean to a paci unless you are trying to wean entirely. Babies know what they want. A mama substitute is generally not desired by most babies.

Teexie 10-16-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 15820621)
Yeah. This.

The babies who use pacis are using them like breasts. Babies who comfort nurse are using breasts like.. well breasts. Your breasts were intended to provide comfort, security and nourishment.

Honestly I have no idea how to wean to a paci unless you are trying to wean entirely. Babies know what they want. A mama substitute is generally not desired by most babies.

Agreed. :)

marliah 10-17-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 15820621)
Yeah. This.

I third this, both of my girls live on the boob. I recently was reading a book that referred to pacifiers as "mother replacers" and thought about it and decided I would rather just nurse my lo than replace my breast with a piece of plastic ;) I know it can be rough, my youngest currently is like this (my older dd was for the first years and still nurses many times a day). I nurse her in the mei tai carrier and moby a lot that way I can still get things done. They do outgrow it though, they are only babies for such a short time, just try to enjoy this time :)