Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Should I feel guilty? Am I taking advantage? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453932)

evasimone 10-15-2012 12:25 AM

Should I feel guilty? Am I taking advantage?

I have been planning on taking a class for a while. I provided the instructor with a $55 deposit months ago. I recently contacted them to take their Oct. 1st class. She mentioned that they were moving it to start on the 15th now. So I told her I would take that one then, I also explained that I only had another 1.5 months to take the class and was a bit worried. She reassured me that as long as I took the Oct. 15th class it would be enough time.

So I requested off every monday from work for the next six weeks and called her middle of the week to make sure the class was still happening. It took her four days to call me back and she said that the class was still on but that me and my husband were the only people who had signed up.

She asked if I still wanted to take the class and I said yes unless she knew of another teacher that had a class starting in the next week or two, I also explained that I had requested work off on all of the class days for the next 6 weeks. She said she didn't know of any other classes and I could tell she was not exactly thrilled that she'd be teaching essentially a private class. Not to mention she does offer private classes for another $200. I am already paying $320 for the class and I couldn't bring myself to offer her more especially since I didn't want a private class.

The other part is that her private classes she will come to your home at any time you want. I am driving to a building 30 minutes away on a time and date predetermined by her. So I am not necessarily getting all of the benefits of a private class.

But then part of me wonders if I should offer her more money? Or have told her just to cancel?

If anyone is curious it's a hypnobabies course and I am 28 weeks so I don't have a ton of time that I can wait. Which is why I wasn't okay with telling her to cancel but now I feel like I am being a jerk...

Connor 10-15-2012 12:51 AM

I wouldn't feel guilty. It's not your fault you're the only ones signed up to take it. Definitely don't cancel if it's something you want to do.

BubBubsMom 10-15-2012 01:03 AM

Don't feel guilty. Take the class. You requested the time off and you shouldn't have to pay more because of others not being able to.

rah0315 10-15-2012 03:25 AM

Have you thought of doing the home study version? I liked I could do it anytime any where.

Only 10-15-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaReeses
Don't feel guilty. Take the class. You requested the time off and you shouldn't have to pay more because of others not being able to.

I agree. It's a risk she takes. If she doesn't want to run into this type of issue she needs to put a clause in her contract or ad.

crunchymamaNY 10-15-2012 07:19 AM

Re: Should I feel guilty? Am I taking advantage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only (Post 15812917)
I agree. It's a risk she takes. If she doesn't want to run into this type of issue she needs to put a clause in her contract or ad.

Agreed ^^^

Don't offer her more money. And don't feel guilty that you're the only ones that signed up. Heck, another couple may sign up last minute...you never know.

Rhianna'sMommy 10-15-2012 08:44 AM

Someone could still sign up today and take the class. It isn't your fault no one else signed up. If you decided to have her drive to you since you're the only couple - then yes pay extra. But if you are driving to her class, at her time and location of choice then pay for the price of that class and nothing more.

I would thank her gushingly perhaps at the first class for not cancelling but that is the most I'd do.

Beaners_Mom 10-15-2012 09:14 AM

The only way i'd pay more is if she drives to you.
You already have the days off...so would it be cheaper to pay the extra $200 (or whatever it would be) and have her come to your house during the times you already took off? Would it save you money has wise to do it that way?

KrisM 10-15-2012 09:21 AM

No, don't feel guilty. If she doesn't want to do a class for just 1 couple, then she needs that information in the contract "class may be canceled if fewer than 4 people sign up" or whatever. If she didn't, that's her risk.

chandni3 10-15-2012 10:00 AM

My husband and I took a hypnobabies class and we were the only ones who attended. We didn't pay more. If she doesn't want to do it for just the two of you she can cancel and give you the deposit back. Otherwise it's up to her to try to get more students or do the class just for the two of you. Really, doing the class if she's done it before, it's not a lot of work for her.