Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Is My Planned Diaper Stash Headed in the Right Direction? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454361)

buko 10-16-2012 09:07 AM

Is My Planned Diaper Stash Headed in the Right Direction?

I know this question has been asked a ton, but here goes anyway...

We are expecting our first in March and we plan on using CD back up. In addition to the tons of lurking on EC boards, I got some great advice at the local CD/natural baby store on the best "not-so-absorbent" "EC-friendly" brands and items.

We should both be WAHP by the time baby gets here (probably with DH doing more of the EC/diapering than I will-- luckily he had CD experience with his brother!) and want to try a mix and see how things work out. So we were thinking...

-Prefolds with Snappis (and covers, mostly when out and about)-- or PFs inside covers.

-Fitteds-- I would think these would be even easier and more ideal than prefolds for EC ease... but correct me if I'm wrong! Also worn with covers when out.

-A few BGE AIOs for various occasions and just to try. We are going with the Elementals because the diaper lady said they weren't so super-absorbent that babe would be unaware of his/her wetness.

-I would love to get at least a few pair baby underwear and maybe splurge on some Ecapants, but I might hold off on those until the baby is here.

I have also picked up a few random items at consignment sales and the like-- for example, a few very absorbent pocket diapers (Fuzzibunz, CB) I figured we could use on longer car trips, possibly overnight if nighttime EC becomes overwhelming, etc.

Oh, and I am focusing on items that will fit to the first year or so, but taking a wait-and-see approach for larger sizes.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

JadeScarlet 10-16-2012 04:10 PM

Re: Is My Planned Diaper Stash Headed in the Right Direction?

Well, we didn't start EC until 5 months, but we used prefold diapers with covers and I thought they were easy enough. We only EC part time and I like having fitted diapers handy for hot days when he can run around with a fitted and a t-shirt so I can check them frequently. Fitteds are much easier than prefolds once your baby gets to be older and learns how to wiggle.

My son never did signal when he was going to #1 so we are still working on that, but for a while we had good success with #2 signs and getting him on the potty and I'm hoping to get him back to that routine soon. My favorite diapers are bumgenius freetime but the bumgenius pockets are good too.

happyhungryhippo 10-16-2012 05:18 PM

Sounds like my own stash and I started EC when LO was 6 months (almost 3 months ago)! :)

buko 10-16-2012 08:02 PM

Cool!

Nickel+3 10-16-2012 08:18 PM

Sounds good to me. I'd make sure all fitteds or pockets are Velcro. I hate snapping 100 times a day. But for the most part my dd is sitting around half naked on a prefold.

Mom2jandb 10-18-2012 12:53 AM

Sounds good to me too.

I've been playing with baby undies... You can pm me if you want suggestions on where/what to try :)

waitingforbaby 10-18-2012 06:32 AM

My girl is almost 6 months and we've full-time ECed since 5 days old. She's always in a diaper, though... less stressful if we miss. I think you're on the right track. As someone else said, go aplix, not snaps... I got so sick of snaps just on her clothes! We basically do/did what you're planning... prefolds snappied, with a cover when we go out or at night. So easy!

Totally right that it's better not to buy too far ahead! Now that she rolls over and army-crawls away every time I try to put her diaper back on, I'm tired of traditional diaper styles (non-pullup!) I'm also worried about her getting scratched with a loose snappi since she's so active. I've made a few of these http://doityourselfec.blogspot.kr/se...aining%20pants with detachable soakers since we line-dry, which are pretty nice. I'm experimenting with prefolds with elastic so that I can just pull them to her ankles for a pee and pull them up again as she flees. We also do split-crotch fleece pants with a prefold tucked into the belt, but that's not cute enough for going out. ;-)

We bought fitteds for this stage but they don't fit and never will... thighs are too small and waist is too big. So not buying ahead is a good idea because you don't know your baby's body type yet. At home and especially in a public bathroom, pull-ups work much better anyway, so I've decided not to buy any more fitteds.

I decided not to try ecapants because of the way they open... since it's winter, she'll be in pants anyway, so it's better to just pull everything down and back up.

For night-time, sometimes we catch and sometimes we miss, and when we miss, it's a big pee, so I just put 2 prefolds in the cover every night.

The mobile stage is definitely different from the newborn stage. She used to signal a lot better for pees, but now she's too busy exploring her world, and she gets upset if potty time isn't either fast or fun. So we use a mirror to make it fun and getting the diaper back on fast is the next goal.

waitingforbaby 10-18-2012 06:32 AM

My girl is almost 6 months and we've full-time ECed since 5 days old. She's always in a diaper, though... less stressful if we miss. I think you're on the right track. As someone else said, go aplix, not snaps... I got so sick of snaps just on her clothes! We basically do/did what you're planning... prefolds snappied, with a cover when we go out or at night. So easy!

Totally right that it's better not to buy too far ahead! Now that she rolls over and army-crawls away every time I try to put her diaper back on, I'm tired of traditional diaper styles (non-pullup!) I'm also worried about her getting scratched with a loose snappi since she's so active. I've made a few of these http://doityourselfec.blogspot.kr/se...aining%20pants with detachable soakers since we line-dry, which are pretty nice. I'm experimenting with prefolds with elastic so that I can just pull them to her ankles for a pee and pull them up again as she flees. We also do split-crotch fleece pants with a prefold tucked into the belt, but that's not cute enough for going out. ;-)

We bought fitteds for this stage but they don't fit and never will... thighs are too small and waist is too big. So not buying ahead is a good idea because you don't know your baby's body type yet. At home and especially in a public bathroom, pull-ups work much better anyway, so I've decided not to buy any more fitteds.

I decided not to try ecapants because of the way they open... since it's winter, she'll be in pants anyway, so it's better to just pull everything down and back up.

For night-time, sometimes we catch and sometimes we miss, and when we miss, it's a big pee, so I just put 2 prefolds in the cover every night.

The mobile stage is definitely different from the newborn stage. She used to signal a lot better for pees, but now she's too busy exploring her world, and she gets upset if potty time isn't either fast or fun. So we use a mirror to make it fun and getting the diaper back on fast is the next goal.