Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   How often do you use your sick days? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454412)

keonli 10-16-2012 11:12 AM

How often do you use your sick days?

My office is quite generous with sick days but using them is generally frowned upon. However, I've had to use a few here and there because I'm the only one in the office with a young child, and I commute the farthest which means I've had to use 1/2 days a few times to bring my son to regular appointments.

A few times this year I've used them because of my horrible morning sickness, and for an all day dental procedure for my son. I don't ask DH to bring him to the long appointments because he works nights and needs his sleep. He also isn't salaried like me, and wouldn't get paid in full if he called out.

Just curious how many sick days you mamas get and how often do you use them?

luvsviola 10-16-2012 03:14 PM

Re: How often do you use your sick days?

I am a teacher, but we get in trouble in our building if you use more than 4 a year. Last year, I used 2. My mom takes the kids to all their appointments.

Shimpie 10-17-2012 09:33 AM

What's the point of providing lots of sick days if you can't use them? Doesn't sound very family friendly. It's silly to think that someone with a small child isn't going to take sick days.

I have a total of 248 hours (31 days) leave a year. My work doesn't distiguish between vacation or sick leave. I've used maybe 6 days this year for actual illnesses and look a week of vacation. I can't remember if I was sick or if DD was sick. It was probably both.

I have every other Friday off and I try to schedule all doctor/dentist appointments on my Fridays off.

Shimpie 10-17-2012 09:33 AM

dp

stephbrown13 10-17-2012 11:11 AM

I get 191.88 hours a year (we accumulate 3.69 hours per week). A standard work day is 10 hours so about 20 days a year. They don't distinguish between sick/personal/vacation days so that time has to cover all of them. It looks like I've used about 10 days this year so far and still have 5 banked. Some of that was a vacation in January and I think I had carried over time from the previous year. My PTO has to basically cover me, both kids, and our babysitter so I feel like I'm out or coming in late pretty frequently. I don't always use paid time though, I prefer to have it unpaid so that my paid time accumulates in case we actually do take a vacation.

firstlynn 10-17-2012 02:58 PM

no sick leave. we're self-employed. i missed one day of work total when I lost my voice! took 14 days maternity leave (unpaid) for DS1, 10 days for DS2.

CarrieMF 10-17-2012 04:24 PM

I work in a school. We get 10 a year i believe, based on x many per month. You can bank them up to 180 days. I should have around 20 or so banked. I have never used any.

We have 3 personal days a year. With the girls dance festival and exams they get used up or I can get paid out for them.

Any medical appointments for the girls is paid time off. I try to make them all outside school time though

mibarra 10-17-2012 06:27 PM

I work in a school. We only get 2 or 3 a year, but they carry over. I've never been given a hard time for using them.

BCsMom 10-19-2012 12:15 PM

I work at a university, and there's technically no limit on sick days - but you CAN use too many. I think the unspoken rule is 6 a year (more than that and your boss starts having conversations with you....). We also get 5 "family emergency" days - those are what I would use first if my son were sick and I had to stay home. Then I would either have to use vacation days, or I would have to lie and use sick days (if that makes sense).

MariaLA 10-19-2012 05:53 PM

We get 6 sick, 4 personal, and 5 vacation. We also have built in vacation over Christmas break (2 weeks), spring break (1 week), thanksgiving (3 days), and 4th of July (1 week). If you use all your time you lose pay. Different bosses might have different unspoken rules about being out too much, but I've never run into that.