Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   AG for a toddler? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454450)

WyattsMommy09 10-16-2012 01:52 PM

AG for a toddler?

When I was younger, I had a bunch of AG girls. Like, 5. Then, when my mom got custody of my brother and I (we were living with our father), my father wouldn't let me bring them. He gave them to his new wife's kids. Along with my HUGE collection of Cabbage Patch kids collected by my grandfather who passed away. :cry:

I want that collection for my daughter. I loved my AGs, and played with them all the time. And right now she LOVES dolls. She has one of those baby Belle princess dolls (with the soft bodies), a misc baby doll, and her absolute favorite right now is her Rapunzel from the Disney Animations collection, which is a hard doll.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I want to get her dolls she can play with NOW (because I don't expect her to have dolls she can never play with, lol. This is to be a fun collection, not an investment for the future.) And AG dolls are amazing. they last forever and they're just well made. I don't want to buy dolls that crap out in a year or two and need to be replaced.

So would you buy a toddler (she's going to be 2 in December) an AG doll? Or is that kind of nonsense? I don't know if its a great idea, or if I'm letting my emotions and anger at my dolls being given away, when I always said I wanted to "keep and love them forever and let my baby play with them and love them forever when i growed up".

I'm slightly irritated. I've been watching old videos of me with them, and dagnabit its depressing

Bentley'sMomma 10-16-2012 03:00 PM

Re: AG for a toddler?

I would feel comfortable with getting the bitty baby, but I think I would be nervous about the girls hair being destroyed.

mrspopo 10-16-2012 03:36 PM

I have my barbie dolls from childhood and im looking forward to sharing them with dd. I would have been devestated if something happened to them!

Before baby was born my mom and sister were asking if they could get her american girls dolls. I dont care and said sure. Baby is 17 months old and at her first birthday they got her some knock-off ag dolls with tons of accessories to "practice." They cant wait for her next birthday to get the real thing. Seems too early to me, but its their money and theyve been waiting 2 years already! If it were my money i would wait another year or 2.

stevensmom 10-16-2012 03:38 PM

DD is getting a bitty baby (AG baby doll) for christmas. I so wanted to get her an AG doll but think I'll wait a few more years

WyattsMommy09 10-16-2012 03:57 PM

Hm, I'll have to look into the Bitty Babies. They sound great :)

lookatreestar 10-16-2012 04:01 PM

i just wanted to say i'm sorry about your situation :( my kids loved to play with all my old toys and stuffed animals (i would have died and gone to heaven if i had one AG doll when i was a kid!)

i would maybe find a used AG doll or do the bitty baby.

kocho 10-16-2012 04:18 PM

I waited. Grace is 7 and now I'm hoping to get her one for Christmas. She does have a Madame Alexander doll that she's had for a few years. She didn't ruin it, but she didn't take nice care of it either.

~*~Sunflower~*~ 10-16-2012 04:39 PM

My daughter was 7 or 8 when she got her AG doll, and it does NOT look good now. Her younger sisters got Bitty Babies when they were about 2 & 5 - those Bitty Babies have paint missing from the "hair" & just look bad. I dont think AG dolls are really as good anymore as they used to be & don't hold up well to *real* play.

5PrincessMommy 10-17-2012 02:08 AM

My 2.5 year old is getting a bitty baby for Christmas ;)

KrisM 10-17-2012 08:22 AM

My DD got her first 18" doll just after turning 5 and she's done great with it. Prior to that, she had a Corolle Vanilla doll, which is a smaller doll, but still quite nice. She was never into baby dolls and never played with them.

If you think your DD would play with a baby, I'd get a Bitty Baby from AG. If she doesn't want a baby, the Corolle is only $35 or so and still nice.