Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Family Planning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   baby fever already? am I nuts? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454490)

chach4 10-16-2012 02:25 PM

baby fever already? am I nuts?

I have an 8 week old and I think I have baby fever. SERIOUSLY? ALREADY? you have got to be kidding me. But for a few weeks now dh and I have been talking. Last night he said he is keen to have another when I'm healed. (which I'm not yet. Tear isn't healing.)
We want more kids, but trying so soon(not NOW, but maybe within months?like 4 or5) Probably isn't good for me physically? I'll talk to doc too at my appt Friday about the physicalities of it...

My first pregnancy took a yr to acheive and was a miscarriage. My son turns 2 this week and was a breach csec. Daughter who is almost 8 wks was vbac(yay!). And is doing great.
I am almost 33, and were thinking we want 4 babies, but I'm worried as I age, it won't be easy to conceive. And I don't want to be 40 having babies... So I do want them closer together. Was reading and some of u ladies have babes 13, 14 months apart and like it... But then others see that as a nightmmare and like kids 5 yrs apart. Everyone is different, I know.
Also, I quit my job last yr to stay home. Was babysitting 2 other babies, who I'm on "maternity leave" from at the moment, but am thinking I might not take them back, so I can focus on my own. Will be tight financially, but we will be ok. Not struggling too bad, but tighter without my babysitting income. And man, Breastfeeding and cloth diapering saves a TON!. I mean, really there isn't anything else id need to buy for any more babies (assuming Breastfeeding works out for future babies and my cloth lasts(i take good care of em and am handy enough to repair)but Yes, I know they don't last forever.)... Yes, Dr bills and such, but we meet deductable anyway every yr so really its not more... And Yes, down the road costs, school stuff, sports, college... But I'm a believer that kids can work and pay for some of their college(i paid every penny of mine).. and dh should be getting a better job at some point hopefully, he finished his masters and is applying to jobs that pay double what he makes now, so I'm not totally concerned about money.
Anyway.. is it just my postpartum hormones? Is it just that I'm so in love with my baby girl that I want to love another babe? Am I being selfish?
I'm suprised I feel this way...
The other night a good friend told us she's preggo. And I was a bit jealous cuz is like to be. SERIOUSLY? I feel like I'm nuts.
Anyone want another babe so soon? Anyone follow through with it? How did things work out for u?
And don't worry, I'm responsible and am going to THOUROUGHLY think things thru before doing nething.

AcrossTheUniverse 10-16-2012 02:33 PM

Re: baby fever already? am I nuts?

I feel like that after each child. I usually end up getting pregnant again within 6-7 months after birth (except after my first, it was only 4 months!). I love having my kids close together, I had 5 in 5 years. I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as you can handle it. But in terms of physical health, I do think spacing them out just a bit is better. After my 5th baby my health just took a downhill turn. He is 11 months old and while I have wanted another already for awhile, it isn't feasible right now because my body just can't handle it. I would definitely talk to your doctor. I think most suggest at least 12 months (but 24 preferred) between pregnancies. I obviously did not follow that but if I could go back I would probably try to wait at least 8-10 months inbetween each pregnancy just for my body's sake.

songbird516 10-16-2012 02:35 PM

I might get flamed for this, but I'm going to be the first to say that it is NOT a good idea to TTC within 2 years of a previous pregnancy. You're asking for trouble. Now I am not the greatest example because I accidentally got pregnant 15 months pp, but I wasn't happy about it, for the sake of my health and the health of my nursing baby and unborn/potential child. In healthy traditional cultures, children were deliberately spaced 2.5 to 4 years apart with a combination of breastfeeding and abstinence. (and sometimes plural wives, but that's another issue..)
Building a baby is a LOT of work and stress on the body, and takes a lot of materials OUT of your body. Breastfeeding or not, you need TIME to rebuild those stores of nutrients to conceive and build a healthy child and have a healthy pregnancy and less complications for you. Studies have shown that children who are closely spaced have more health problems than those spaced further apart. Although to me it's just common sense.
I understand wanting another, but please wait for your health and the health of your children.

kushie tushie 10-16-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516
I might get flamed for this, but I'm going to be the first to say that it is NOT a good idea to TTC within 2 years of a previous pregnancy. You're asking for trouble. Now I am not the greatest example because I accidentally got pregnant 15 months pp, but I wasn't happy about it, for the sake of my health and the health of my nursing baby and unborn/potential child. In healthy traditional cultures, children were deliberately spaced 2.5 to 4 years apart with a combination of breastfeeding and abstinence. (and sometimes plural wives, but that's another issue..)
Building a baby is a LOT of work and stress on the body, and takes a lot of materials OUT of your body. Breastfeeding or not, you need TIME to rebuild those stores of nutrients to conceive and build a healthy child and have a healthy pregnancy and less complications for you. Studies have shown that children who are closely spaced have more health problems than those spaced further apart. Although to me it's just common sense.
I understand wanting another, but please wait for your health and the health of your children.

I got pregnant twice while breastfeeding. My theory is if I'm nursing on demand and still getting preggo then my body is obviously ok with it.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

sisu 10-16-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie

I got pregnant twice while breastfeeding. My theory is if I'm nursing on demand and still getting preggo then my body is obviously ok with it.

Totally agree with you. :D

happysmileylady 10-16-2012 10:25 PM

It's not crazy to want more close together. There are plenty of practical reasons as well as emotional reasons to want to have kids close together, or to want another so soon after the first.

Having said that, I just had a little one 4 days ago, he is 25 months younger than DD3, who is only 22 months younger than DD2. And I can tell you that while having 3 kids within 4 years of each other didn't seriously affect my overall health, I can truly feel just how hard having them all so close together was on my body. I can feel that recovering this time around is going to take patience.

jacandy 10-17-2012 08:19 AM

My ds3 is 6mos and I've had crazy baby fever. I think it's starting to calm down a little since he isn't sttn and I'm exhausted. But I still want another:)

songbird516 10-17-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie (Post 15821318)

I got pregnant while breastfeeding also, but I don't think that it means that your body is fully ready. Being fertile is not the same as having optimal nutrition stores. Close pregnancies have a higher likelihood of complications and preterm birth. No, not every closely spaced pregnancy will have those issues, but it is common sense that a woman's body needs time to rebuild after building a baby and nursing. Where do all of those materials come from? Nothing is made out of thin air, and especially not babies.

MunkyCrazy 10-17-2012 11:19 AM

Mine's not even 2 weeks and I've been thinking about baby #4. He wasn't even a planned baby and I was thinking I'd be done after 2! Now I want another one, but I'm pretty sure it'll go away as he gets older and things get even more hectic.

ajoymess 10-17-2012 11:29 AM

Yup, I've had baby fever pretty much since my daughter was born 7 months ago. I think its partly hormones, although I haven't started cycling yet. Many reasons NOT to get preggo right now, plus DH isn't sure he wants another, but my body sure wants to be! Annoying.