Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   are American Girl dolls worth the price? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454567)

madebymommy 10-16-2012 06:20 PM

are American Girl dolls worth the price?

My 5 (6 in January) year old DD really wants an American Girl doll. She has been asking since last Christmas, so as a trial run, I bought her one of the Disney "princess and me" dolls. She's had it all year and.aside from the hair being kind of rough, Ariel is in great shape. DD isn't a huge doll player bit every once in a while she will play with her doll.

Anyways, we got the American Doll catalogue in the mail, and DD very nicely asked me if she could ask for one for Christmas. She wants one that looks like her, and they are $105.

My inner cheapo is screaming OMG $105?! But honestly my DD is such a good girl and doesn't ask for much. My "plan" is if I do buy it, I keep it up out of little hands (I also have a 3 and 1 year old) and get it down for her when she wants to play.

Am I crazy for considering this for a 6 year old? Are they worth the money? I'm terrified she will ruin the hair, Haha!

madebymommy 10-16-2012 06:21 PM

Also, I think deep down I want to buy her one because I've always wanted one... But my parents were very poor and never could have afforded something like that. I knew it and I never dared ask.

SaraElise 10-16-2012 06:26 PM

Re: are American Girl dolls worth the price?

Coming from someone who received two as gifts as a child (thanks Grandma!) and saved up my babysitting money to buy two more. YES.

They are well made, the company can replace parts if there is damage (for a fee, but it's nice to have the option for repair), the historical character books are great, and opened some doors for me to be more interested in American history.

My daughter is only 20 months old, but I am counting down the years until she is old enough for a doll of her own!

rachelwilber 10-16-2012 06:27 PM

My little girl loves her McKenna doll! She is three and just thinks that it is the best doll ever. I would get her one if you could afford too. The doll is very well made and sturdy.

mixed_chica 10-16-2012 06:29 PM

If you could afford it, why not? I know other mamas buy Waldorf dolls that can cost more. My kids don't ask for much ether, and I'm honest with them when I can't buy something. But if you've got the funds, go for it. Teach her to respect and care for it, but not to the point where she's afraid to mess it up, kwim?

lemurmommies 10-16-2012 06:33 PM

I would. I am sad that I only have a boy who has no interest in American Girl dolls. I want to buy one so much!

lemurmommies 10-16-2012 06:33 PM

DP.

irishmama2 10-16-2012 06:35 PM

We're getting our will be 5yo Caroline (I think) for Christmas. She too is very careful with her things.

madebymommy 10-16-2012 06:38 PM

Yeah, we can afford it. I'm just such a thrifty person that I'm struggling with the price, lol! My sister in law has a few of them but they were the first ones to come out and I was worried the quality of the current dolls may not be as good as the ones I've seen. But yes, I think I will get the one DD wants. Thanks for the input, ladies!

pinky74 10-16-2012 06:39 PM

I would if I could afford them. Well made and the stories to go with them is also a great add. My 14 yr old has hers and can't wait to get one for my youngest. I also like the modest clothing line, sets a nice example.