Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Any opinions on hearing tests? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454998)

court3189 10-18-2012 12:40 AM

Any opinions on hearing tests?

My 19 month old failed her fourth hearing test this week. This is the fourth attempt over the course of a year. Between the ENT and different audiologists I've gotten mixed feelings on whether we should proceed to an ABR or keep trying to booth test her. Any thoughts/opinions out there?

For the record she has tubes, so this isn't an issue of fluid. She has a syndrome that can be associated with hearing loss, but on the flip side her sound field hearing at a voice level seems very good.

TIA!

mekat 10-18-2012 01:39 AM

Re: Any opinions on hearing tests?

Ask if the results will change their treatment plan for her. If this is just so they have an idea of what she hears or doesn't hear but won't effect treatment then I would say no. If it could possibly effect treatment then probably yes but depends on her risk factors.

Just going off the info in your post I am leaning towards the ABR testing for her since she is high risk of hearing loss but no high risks were stated for her being put under in a medical environment.

My son doesn't do well with booth tests but we know he hears. An ABR was recommended but since he is high risk for picking up secondary infections and the results aren't likely to change his treatment I said no.

mibarra 10-18-2012 10:57 AM

ABR. It's much more reliable, and untreated hearing loss can be potentially devastating to language development.

My DD had one. It is sedation, not general anesthesia, non-invasive, and much more definitive. :)

ParkersMommy7611 10-19-2012 11:29 PM

My son is 15 months old and has never completely passed a hearing test either. He has a genetic disorder. He can hear voices and loud noises but the low stuff in the booth either e can't hear or it's just not enough to make him turn his head. He gets tested every 3 months.

3Xblessed 10-20-2012 06:30 PM

I would do the ABR...we had profound hearing loss until 4yrs of age (mostly resolved now) and are still trying to catch up with the speech.

piratepenny7 10-21-2012 07:03 PM

My son just also didn't do so well on his hearing test. For us the therapist said his treatment plan would change if he had hearing aids and the ENT wouldn't do the hearing aids until we do the ABR. We didn't -want- to do the ABR at first but now we are scheduling it for this week so that we can go ahead and get the hearing aids because we want to work on his speech. We are also doing ASL and listening and a lot of really intense therapy to try to bring it all together. Our DS is about to turn 3 and they want to go ahead and put him in school at 2 yr 9 mo so we are going to do that, also so hopefully he'll be able to do well in school and "catch up" a lot. We think it will be worth it to know EXACTLY what he can and can't hear so we can pursue the best treatment options. I know what you are going through so if you need to chat you can PM me.

Holly dolly 10-21-2012 07:21 PM

I also think you should do the ABN. I work for an audiologist and I have seen treatment plans change based on the results.

devon 10-24-2012 04:50 AM

Matthew had an ABR done when they put the tubes in thankfully, because we had an awesome ENT who understood NS and the potential risks and wanted to minimize the anesthesia. So, I get the hesitation because of the anesthesia. However, it has really drastically alleviated both my and the ENTs concerns about his hearing because we know that was normal, and likely the issues with the hearing test failures are due to the stenotic (narrow) ear canals that he has (due to NS) that are easily blocked with ear wax.

He didn't 'pass' his first hearing screen at the ENT until he was 2.5 years old - all of the ones done before that (3) he failed on either both sides or the left side (his narrower side). Now (at age 3.5), our protocol is to do a deep wax cleanout first (which he HATES but the ENT is really good at) to make sure there is nothing blocking the ear. Then we do the two hearing tests (tympanogram and something else) and then the booth. He passed this past time with doing that. He didn't become consistent enough to use the booth test until he was around 2.

Long story short - I feel much better having had the ABR done and knowing that while he may be missing out some low frequencies on the left hand side, that his hearing is fine overall and he is not having any issues. Does you ENT have experience with NS?

MrsCrafty 10-29-2012 01:42 PM

I would do the ABR, DS has has 2 and I was very glad to have solid answers about what he was hearing.

court3189 10-31-2012 12:09 AM

Thanks everyone! We're set for our fifth hearing test next week and if she doesn't pass that, we'll be schedule for an ABR. Her speech delay is becoming more severe by the month, which has helped this decision. She's 20 months and only has a handful of words.