Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   I'm stunned (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455017)

lensesforeyes 10-18-2012 06:13 AM

I'm stunned

DH has fought pretty hard against many of the things I've done to be more thrifty. He misses paper towels, and tries to get me to buy Lysol wipes constantly. (which he uses for ridiculous things like wiping the floor around the toilet after spraying diapers, even after saying he would only use them to clean up when our two year old has poo accidents, which was my compromise) It seems the more I try, the more he pushes.

Well, I asked him TWICE how we were on TP. We already had to make a second trip to Costco because he failed to put coffee on the list, and both times I asked him if we needed it. I'm 33 weeks pregnant, so he's been bending into the cupboard to get it out for me lately. Then on Tuesday I happened to be the one to get it out, and saw we had four rolls left, including what was in my hand. I was annoyed. Called my mom and asked if she'd bring a couple rolls the next day to get us through until Nov 10 when we go to Costco again, then told everybody to not use too much. Well, that nice new roll was gone before bedtime last night, so barely over 24 hours. :banghead:

Now for the stunning part. I came in to gripe to DH, and he said "well, I could use cloth wipes". :jawdrop: Did I mention the one time I even brought up family cloth he was disgusted? He still is seriously grossed out by the kids and I using it for #2 since he sprays everything (kills my back), but I am finding myself wondering if I could get him to agree to this long term, at least for the "less messy" stuff.

techanne 10-18-2012 06:28 AM

Re: I'm stunned

I'm jealous! When I suggested family cloth to my DH he said absolutely not. :(

Is he looking for a trade though? Like family cloth in exchange for lyscol wipes? I feel like TP is cheaper than lyscol wipes.

MrsHappyGoLucky 10-18-2012 08:19 AM

My husband has an obsession with being clean after going to the bathroom and it was killing us in TP. Not to mention our plumbing just can't keep up with the half rolls of TP he's flushing. Our compromise was to install our diaper sprayer early and use it as a bidet. He uses cut up flannel receiving blankets as wipes to dry off after spraying. I already had a wetbag and wash routine in place since I use mama cloth. I also bought really cheap TP this last time that's rough and awful to use...needless to say he prefers the diaper sprayer to the sandpaper :giggle2:

lensesforeyes 10-18-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techanne
I'm jealous! When I suggested family cloth to my DH he said absolutely not. :(

Is he looking for a trade though? Like family cloth in exchange for lyscol wipes? I feel like TP is cheaper than lyscol wipes.

He was completely opposed when I mentioned it before, too! Never would have seen it coming.

I don't think it's a trade deal, I had a serious talk with him about the Lysol wipes because I felt he went back on his word. It was less about the wipes, more about him using them for things he said he wouldn't. He's a good man, he apologized and agreed to stop. We will still buy them for poo messes and a few other occasional things (like the raw chicken that leaked in the fridge, yuck), but that should mean buying the three pack from Costco a couple times a year.

I honestly wonder if maybe his sudden change of heart is due to a talk we had yesterday. He's been gripping and complaining at me for a week about all the stuff I had/have in the living room for a consignment sale, and it came to a head yesterday when I asked him to bring in all the stuff he shoved in the shed so I could get it ready. I was stressed and finally snapped when I heard him mutter under his breath "all this for $2" when he walked in the door. I flat out asked him if he thought I enjoyed doing all the work to prep things, and killing myself at drop off (33 weeks pregnant... Not fun), and then asked what I was going to get out of it. I'm not even shopping this sale, 100% of what I make is going to debt. I am wondering if it finally clicked that I'm working my tush off every way I can to get us debt free. Making big sacrifices while he makes me crazy wasting expensive stuff. One can hope anyway, right?

Oh, and for the record, I made a spray bottle of vinegar cleaner for him to clean the floor with after spraying diapers. He's been great about using it. :)

lensesforeyes 10-18-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsHappyGoLucky
My husband has an obsession with being clean after going to the bathroom and it was killing us in TP. Not to mention our plumbing just can't keep up with the half rolls of TP he's flushing. Our compromise was to install our diaper sprayer early and use it as a bidet. He uses cut up flannel receiving blankets as wipes to dry off after spraying. I already had a wetbag and wash routine in place since I use mama cloth. I also bought really cheap TP this last time that's rough and awful to use...needless to say he prefers the diaper sprayer to the sandpaper :giggle2:

That's my DH, too! He uses more TP going once a day than I do for EVERYTHING in a day, and that's saying a lot since I pee twice an hour! Doesn't help that he's teaching DS to do the same. Sigh.

kelly-renee 10-18-2012 01:35 PM

Random advice, but did you know that costco will deliver? We bought a ton of TP at the beginning of summer and aren't even halfway through it. We bought the Scotts type that businesses usually use. I find it saves me money to buy what I can online from them most of it doesn't charge for shipping. (I buy whatever does charge for shipping in the store)

lensesforeyes 10-18-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly-renee
Random advice, but did you know that costco will deliver? We bought a ton of TP at the beginning of summer and aren't even halfway through it. We bought the Scotts type that businesses usually use. I find it saves me money to buy what I can online from them most of it doesn't charge for shipping. (I buy whatever does charge for shipping in the store)

I have found most things we buy cost more online than in the store. It's not that far of a drive, and is right by the other store we shop at once a month. It's just kind of ridiculous to drive out there for one thing, especially with the gas budget being tight this month with TONS of extra driving.

ariandsofiesmom 10-18-2012 07:38 PM

I found that we went through way more t.p. when we used the more expensive stuff. We use Scotts Extra-Soft and one roll lasts quite a while. It is only one-ply, but I find that it does the job just as well as 2-ply.

P!nkPepper 10-19-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariandsofiesmom
I found that we went through way more t.p. when we used the more expensive stuff. We use Scotts Extra-Soft and one roll lasts quite a while. It is only one-ply, but I find that it does the job just as well as 2-ply.

We use this too & it is much better than Cottonelle & Charmin. No butt lint. However, I am using family cloth for #1 for myself.

attempting a DS break ~

lensesforeyes 10-19-2012 10:09 AM

I don't buy the expensive tp. I buy the Kirkland Signature brand. It doesn't matter what I get, DH uses a lot. I'm completely content switching to family cloth, we used cloth wipes yesterday and it's far more comfortable, lol. Sorry if TMI!