Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fleece sewers...question. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455035)

supermansmomma 10-18-2012 07:50 AM

Fleece sewers...question.
 
Hi:)
I have started sewing. Yay:) I made some upcycled wool longies and a bunch of hats using blizzard fleece. Then I got some anti pill fleece to make some longies. My issue is when sewing the AP fleece, my machine gets stuck. Sort of like its having trouble getting through the fleece, and the thread gets all tangled. But the blizzard fleece was not a problem.
I have changed the needle, took the bobbin area apart, made sure that was clean. Changed thread and bobbin. Experimented with different tension and stitch lengths. Asked my mom(she is very experienced, but quilts so no help with fleece).
My machine is a 1970's Kenmore. My mom had it serviced before she gave it to me about 2 years ago.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for reading:)
Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

TeachinAuntie 10-18-2012 08:03 AM

Re: Fleece sewers...question.
 
Fleece is a PITB to sew with. :/ You have to constantly clean your machine & make sure its oiled & the tension is correct.

I couldn't ever get a LOT of sewing of fleece done on my "old" sewing machine...now I use a newer machine with automatic tension adjustment and I do okay....but it takes a little time to get the hang of it.

You're doing everything right!

AniMommy 10-18-2012 01:57 PM

Re: Fleece sewers...question.
 
Same thickness?

Did rethreading the bobbin work?

Did you try a universal or ballpoint needle?

Is this the kind of machine that has a separate bobbing tension (usually the kind where the whole bobbin case comes out and you put the bobbin in it and snap it into machine)? There is a screw on the bobbin case to adjust but I don't know how.

Usually for me tangles underneath indicate that something isn't threaded correctly. Rethreading the whole machine fixes it for me.

supermansmomma 10-18-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie
Fleece is a PITB to sew with. :/ You have to constantly clean your machine & make sure its oiled & the tension is correct.

I couldn't ever get a LOT of sewing of fleece done on my "old" sewing machine...now I use a newer machine with automatic tension adjustment and I do okay....but it takes a little time to get the hang of it.

You're doing everything right!

Thank you for the reinsurance :) I'm going to keep at it:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AniMommy
Same thickness?

Did rethreading the bobbin work?

Did you try a universal or ballpoint needle?

Is this the kind of machine that has a separate bobbing tension (usually the kind where the whole bobbin case comes out and you put the bobbin in it and snap it into machine)? There is a screw on the bobbin case to adjust but I don't know how.

Usually for me tangles underneath indicate that something isn't threaded correctly. Rethreading the whole machine fixes it for me.

I rethreaded the machine a few different times, used different types I thread.

Universal needle, I was doing some reading online today and I am going to get a ball pony needle and see if that may be the issue.

And yes to the bobbin question. It does have a screw. I'm going to try and read the manual again. Unfortunately it was stored in a bag with the oil which leaked all over it:( I can read the pages but it's hard lol. Going to see if I can find it online.

If all else fails, I'm taking it to serviced again:)

Thank you replying:)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

slyeates 10-18-2012 06:38 PM

For the bobbin, put the spool in the metal part and hold the thread tail in one hand and let the bobbin lay flat in your other hand.

Pull up slowly on the thread.

If the thread comes out with no resistance, you need to tighten.

If the thread picks the bobbin up off your palm, it is too tight.

The goal is to have the bobbin stand up in your hand, but not leave it. KWIM?

If you need, I can take pics :)

mgmsrk 10-18-2012 06:57 PM

Re: Fleece sewers...question.
 
Have you changed the needle? Are you using the correct size needle for the fabric?

supermansmomma 10-18-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyeates
For the bobbin, put the spool in the metal part and hold the thread tail in one hand and let the bobbin lay flat in your other hand.

Pull up slowly on the thread.

If the thread comes out with no resistance, you need to tighten.

If the thread picks the bobbin up off your palm, it is too tight.

The goal is to have the bobbin stand up in your hand, but not leave it. KWIM?

If you need, I can take pics :)

I'm going to try this tomorrow. Thank you!

I'm assuming thats what the little screw on the side is for? :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

supermansmomma 10-18-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgmsrk
Have you changed the needle? Are you using the correct size needle for the fabric?


I haven't a clue:blush:
I did change change it to a new needle but it's just a universal( I think) The ones my mom gave me with the machine.

I need to get online to learn more about needle sizes. Lol.

I appreciate everyone's responses :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

AniMommy 10-19-2012 04:27 AM

Universal is not a size thing. It means it can be used w both knits and wovens. Sharps are for wovens, ball points for knits and universal can do both. If you sew and hear a popping noise from the needle it's a sign that you need to change it.

Is the thread tangled underneath in one place or the whole seam?

If it's the whole swam it's probably a tension issue and you need to play around with the tension. Try this sew the fleece, then wo changing anything sew something you know the machine can handle. If the fleece is messed up but other ok it's a sign that you need to adjust the tension.

Another thought to try - put tissue paper between the pressure foot and fleece. Sometimes the foot is sticking a little bit and it causes the two pieces of fabric to move at different rates. The paper let's the foot glide a bit. You can sew thru the paper and then rip it away.

TrennaII 10-23-2012 08:33 PM

Re: Fleece sewers...question.
 
Sewing fleece on my 1950s Singer is a breeze if I use the walking foot. If I don't it's a total nightmare. I came to love the walking foot so much I use it on everything now. It's a very worthwhile investment IMO!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors