Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   gift for coach at school (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455083)

My Sweet Blessings 10-18-2012 09:39 AM

gift for coach at school

I want to get something for my son's PE teacher for Christmas, but I really know nothing abut him. He's been so good with my son that I think he deserves something. he's probably overlooked by most everyone. My son is in K, started before even turning 5, never been to prek or any childcare, and was/is having a hard time adjusting. Many teachers (including asst principal) would try to drag him down the hallway (they don't allow parents in the school past the front desk). it didn't go over well with me, so after my protesting, we've gotten things a ton better. he responds much better to nice people talking to him than being dragged, go figure. anyway. Coach is one of the few that has approached him gently without me even asking. He gets down on his level and talks to him. I have no idea what to get him, though. i have no idea if he likes coffee or anything. Any suggestions on something thrifty???

emilyrebekah 10-18-2012 09:58 AM

Re: gift for coach at school

I personally think you can never go wrong with baked goods. Maybe try monster bars for a healthier alternative?

soonerfan 10-18-2012 10:44 AM

I don't eat baked good that kids bring in unless I know their families and have seen where they cook. The single time I broke my rule last year, I had a cat hair in my cupcake. I thank kids profusely, make a big deal and then drop them off in the teacher's lounge.

Pinterest has some great teacher gifts, and one of my favorite gifts was a personalized tumbler.

My Sweet Blessings 10-18-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonerfan (Post 15828287)
I don't eat baked good that kids bring in unless I know their families and have seen where they cook. The single time I broke my rule last year, I had a cat hair in my cupcake. I thank kids profusely, make a big deal and then drop them off in the teacher's lounge.

Pinterest has some great teacher gifts, and one of my favorite gifts was a personalized tumbler.

yeah, i hesitate on baked goods for this reason. will the person even eat it?!?!

hmm.. tumber.. DOH! my husband can get these done at wholesale cost! I should find out his name.. LOL.. Everyone just calls him Coach.

emilyrebekah 10-18-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonerfan

:jawdrop: Ew! Hm, I bake for my pastor and friends all the time... Wonder if my home baked bread is pitched :(

lynn97 10-18-2012 12:19 PM

I tend to not eat home baked goods either, unless I really know the person providing them. Sanitation and allergies are my concerns. (I have a peanut allergy.)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

soonerfan 10-18-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilyrebekah

:jawdrop: Ew! Hm, I bake for my pastor and friends all the time... Wonder if my home baked bread is pitched :(

I eat things made by people I know! I just don't eat from those I don't know (and by know, I mean I have seen their kitchen!)

kelly-renee 10-18-2012 01:29 PM

My mom is a teacher and we always took all of our teachers gifts. They were homemade and always went over very well. My mom would have us help her make candy each year. (This started in kindergarten and we did it until we graduated).

We made the following and each teacher got a mixed bag:

Buckeye balls= peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate
Opera creams= cream cheese and powdered sugar and butter frozen then dipped in chocolate
chocolate fudge
peanut butter fudge

My mom started scouting for likely containers at the end of each christmas season and would stock up for the next year. (I had 8 teachers during middle school, and there were 3 kids).

Container options:
empty christmas tree containers (they were hollowed out clear trees)
coffee mugs with the candy wrapped in season appropriate paper
minilunchboxes
candy tins

I'm not sure if all of these teachers were able to enjoy the presents because they knew my mom though, but most of the class who brought gifts were homemade in some extent. The teachers always asked my mom for the recipe of the opera creams those seemed to be the biggest hit. There wasn't a ton of candy in each one so it wasn't going to break anyones diet, and it was just enough to take home and share with their families, if they wanted. They also liked the mugs a lot, if they drank coffee. My mom does not drink coffee, but she uses mugs for storing pencils, drinking water and hot chocolate.

It truly is the thought that counts though. For instance my mom does not like chocolate or coffee, but if a family takes the time to give her a gift she is always greatly appreciative. The kids seem to really love giving their teachers presents as well. (I always did).

Now for the PE teacher specific present.... Maybe a t-shirt? or a nice warm jacket for outside classes? Ask your son too, he might have an idea of something he'd like to give him. Young kids can surprise you with their thoughtfulness.

Hands&Fire Pottery 10-18-2012 02:21 PM

GC to local restaurant that serves quick but not fast food- Panera, Chipotle, Noodles & Co, Jimmy Johns, Breuggers, etc along with a card that explains what you appreciate about him

reneaumommy 10-18-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery (Post 15829366)
GC to local restaurant that serves quick but not fast food- Panera, Chipotle, Noodles & Co, Jimmy Johns, Breuggers, etc along with a card that explains what you appreciate about him

I like this.