Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Did low iron/severe anemia change your birth plan? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455120)

nisha 10-18-2012 12:05 PM

Did low iron/severe anemia change your birth plan?

I was planning a home birth but due to severe anemia that I can't seem to bring up (at least so far, I've still got at least 4 weeks though), so there's a good chance I will switch gears to a hospital birth. My last hospital birth plan included no vac's, no abx eye ointment, no vit k, etc. I am trying to do some research to find out if there's a need to consider doing anything different this time around just because I am so anemic and would likely need a transfusion and the (slim) chance of baby needing a transfusion.

Anybody have a similar experience and some wisdom to share, or some good resources?

redlichen 10-18-2012 11:42 PM

Re: Did low iron/severe anemia change your birth plan?

What besides not giving a baby a painful shot is the benefit of avoiding vitamin K?

hohaas 10-19-2012 09:29 AM

I was anemic my last 2 preg and nothing changed but I wasn't severely anemic either.

Kiliki 10-19-2012 09:56 AM

I have been anemic (once pretty severely) with all of my pregnancies.

I have had great results bringing my iron up (in just a few weeks) using Black Strap Molasses AND Floradix with Iron. Those two products brought my iron up high enough to save my homebirth with my son. Otherwise I would have had to transfer to a hospital.

I highly recommend trying those if you're not already.

Also, there is usually an acceptable limit. Do you know how low your iron is? And how far you are from the limit that you need to be at to be able to go forward with your homebirth?

I would not give up. It's not over till the fat lady sings (so to speak)... and 4 wks is enough time to bring it up quite a bit if you start a strict regimin NOW and stick to it militantly.

Not only will it save your homebirth, but you will also feel world's better once your iron is up. :)

cali4niachef 10-28-2012 09:55 AM

What's your hemoglobin? I also echo Flordiax and blackstrap molasses. What are you doing to bring it up? Try yellow dock tincture and nettle & alfalfa infusions

SugarBooger 10-28-2012 10:24 AM

I was severely anemic with my 3rd pregnancy. I was originally planning a homebirth, but due to insurance, I switched to using a midwife at a hospital. Although I was disappointed when I had to switch, I always say it was "meant to be," because I almost bled to death and there were some complications related to the anemia that I'm glad I was in the hospital for, just in case. The midwives were able to get it under control after a while, but I'm glad I was there. (And I love that they let me keep the baby just laying on my tummy, connected to the umbilical cord, the whole time and didn't take her away. It helped me stay calm. :))

Do you live very close to a hospital? If not, you might want to consider a midwife and a hospital birth, just in case. It was still everything I dreamed of in a natural birth, just not at home. :)

roseyroberts 10-28-2012 09:58 PM

With one of my pregnancies I got so anemic that midwife was going tio have to transfer care to hospital. I only had a couple weeks before delivery. I took alfalfa capsules and cloraphyl( sp? Green luquid stuff) worked amazing! I was back better than ever in a week and a half!

Kiliki 10-28-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarBooger (Post 15867592)
I was severely anemic with my 3rd pregnancy. I was originally planning a homebirth, but due to insurance, I switched to using a midwife at a hospital. Although I was disappointed when I had to switch, I always say it was "meant to be," because I almost bled to death and there were some complications related to the anemia that I'm glad I was in the hospital for, just in case. The midwives were able to get it under control after a while, but I'm glad I was there. (And I love that they let me keep the baby just laying on my tummy, connected to the umbilical cord, the whole time and didn't take her away. It helped me stay calm. :))

Do you live very close to a hospital? If not, you might want to consider a midwife and a hospital birth, just in case. It was still everything I dreamed of in a natural birth, just not at home. :)

I am glad everything worked out for you!:hugs:

Anemia can cause bleeding issues, so this is why it is a necessary evil for a severely anemic pregnant woman to birth in a hospital, and why midwives typically transfer the care of anemic patients. In your case, a midwife may have helped you bring your iron up before birth, but if they couldn't get it high enough, you probably would have risked out of a himebirth and wound up in a hospital anyway. :)

This post is all out if order. Hope it makes sense. I am on my tablet. Lol

nisha 10-31-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarBooger (Post 15867592)

My first baby was born in a hospital 80 miles away with a Midwife, second at home unassisted.
Nebraska state laws do not allow for CNM's to deliver at home, and there are no lay midwives anywhere near where I live (very rural area). I do live just down the street from our local hospital but there are no local midwives to deliver there.
If my iron levels don't come up before 38 weeks, I will be planning to have the baby at our local hospital because I have a history and also a family history of very fast labors.

I'm ok with changing plans, I am not comfortable with taking the chance of too much blood loss when I don't have any to spare to begin with! I am on a good blood builder as well as a few other things that will hopefully get my levels up, but I'm honestly not holding my breath because I was on iron and nettle tea all summer long and my levels just slowly dropped. :(

nisha 10-31-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali4niachef (Post 15867506)
What's your hemoglobin? I also echo Flordiax and blackstrap molasses. What are you doing to bring it up? Try yellow dock tincture and nettle & alfalfa infusions

It is 7.6 with a ferritin level of 5 (normal is 6-144). I am doing yellow dock with dandelion root and molasses, blood builder and extra vit c, as well as nettle. I was on floradix and nettle religiously for 4 months and all my levels did were drop because they started at 10!