Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I need spinach recipes! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455138)

waterisntsomething 10-18-2012 11:58 AM

I need spinach recipes!

I have an almost full bag of baby spinach that expires today. I need to fidn a recipe that I can use a lot of spinach and cook it...I don't wnat to make a salad b/c it's just not fresh enough for me to eat raw. It's still good but I'm picky about my greens :giggle:. Any ideas?

Patchworktiner 10-18-2012 12:21 PM

Re: I need spinach recipes!

spinach lasagna, spinach empanadas, spinach quiche

danielle 10-18-2012 12:22 PM

Why not saute in olive oil and garlic?

If you don't like it straight up like that, you could saute, drain, make a basic white sauce, blend, and voila, creamed spinach.

waterisntsomething 10-18-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danner (Post 15828752)
Why not saute in olive oil and garlic?

If you don't like it straight up like that, you could saute, drain, make a basic white sauce, blend, and voila, creamed spinach.

Ooh, good idea. I love creamed spinach!

mommatomymiracle 10-18-2012 12:34 PM

I'm not sure how this would work since this recipe usually calls for frozen spinach -- I'd think it'd be fine once the fresh spinach cooks down.

Basically you just cook the spinach, then at the end add some olive oil, bread crumbs, and garlic powder (NOT garlic salt). Add to taste.

My mom made it all the time when I was growing up, and I still make it. I think we did it with fresh spinach a few times, too. It's really yummy!

pumkinsmommy 10-18-2012 12:53 PM

I have one that is yummy and easy. Put spinach in bowl type glass dish. Put about 10 grape tomatoes and a couple of shakes of hot sauce(I LOVE Frank's). toss, cover with lid and microwave for a few minutes, check and mix gently again. You just want the spinach to wilt and tomatoes to burst. Cover with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese and let melt. It is so easy and delicious.

Southern Momma 10-18-2012 01:38 PM

Yummy..I LOVE spinach! I like to add it to pasta sauces, any type of lasagna, straight up (raw or sauteed) but my favorite spinach dish is Spanakopita

waterisntsomething 10-18-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy (Post 15828927)
I have one that is yummy and easy. Put spinach in bowl type glass dish. Put about 10 grape tomatoes and a couple of shakes of hot sauce(I LOVE Frank's). toss, cover with lid and microwave for a few minutes, check and mix gently again. You just want the spinach to wilt and tomatoes to burst. Cover with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese and let melt. It is so easy and delicious.

That sounds so good!

Mack 10-18-2012 04:17 PM

I like to make spinach pesto. Just make pesto as normal But substitute spinach for the basil. Pesto freezes very easily or you can throw it in alfredo sauce... mix it with goat cheese for a spread on toast.... lots of yummy options!

armywife2002 10-20-2012 09:47 PM

i like to kill the health factor and cook it in bacon drippings with onion and garlic, then mix it, and the bacon, and some cheese in with my scrambled eggs, :yum:

you could always just satuee/steam it, and throw it in the freezer