Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455371)

redlichen 10-18-2012 10:47 PM

Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
Has anyone declined the iv administered antibiotics for Group B strep and regretted that decision?

prila84 10-19-2012 08:47 PM

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
Do they let you decline? after doing lots of research i've decided i want to decline if my results come back positive but our hospital won't allow us to decline (i have kaiser). Also from what I 've seen, midwives test for group B strep but usually do not administer antibiotics...

redlichen 10-20-2012 01:21 AM

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
I was told (by my OB in AZ) that the hospital will let you sign a consent form to decline. I don't see how any place could force you since thrre is a great chance if you could be tested before delivery it would be a different result than it was at 37 weeks. If a rapid test is offered, it is not as accurate.
Of course my OB was very serious and cautionary about what could happen if you decline. However the risk you take exposing your baby to antibiotics is equally scary to me. So I just don't know what to do.

raisingcropsandbabies 10-20-2012 03:31 AM

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
You can feed your newborn probiotics if you take antibiotics during birth. It will help them get all the good stuff back. I have c-sections, thus antibiotics, and my pediatrician asks I give the newborn probiotics for (I think) 2 weeks after birth. So there are ways to help if you decide to take antibiotics.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-20-2012 12:58 PM

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by prila84 (Post 15835224)
Do they let you decline? after doing lots of research i've decided i want to decline if my results come back positive but our hospital won't allow us to decline (i have kaiser). Also from what I 've seen, midwives test for group B strep but usually do not administer antibiotics...

I had Kaiser for many years in the past. But, that's beside the point. They can't force you to take anything. If you go in and are in labor, they can't turn you away and also cannot legally force you to take something. Now, that said, if you refuse the antibiotic and something happens, they can (and Kaiser would) deny to pay for the treatment for it. But, you can always deny it. It's your right as a patient. In some cases, hospitals or drs. can refuse to treat you if you refuse to follow their treatment, but if you are in active labor, they can't turn you away.

prila84 10-20-2012 04:07 PM

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
Hmm thanks good to know. I was also under the impression that no one can "force" anything on me but i'm hearing otherwise from the OB at Kaiser..grr! And to the OP, I totally agree about the Group B thing -- the results can def change from when they swab you at37 wks to when you deliver. But it is a defensive measure on their part. Some people are more "high risk" than others regarding the possible transmission of the bacteria so I would suggest looking into it and making an informed decision . Don't let them pressure you into taking the antibiotics if you don't want to though =).. I personally do not like defensive medicine. so I will also be declining the standard newborn care practices like the eye ointment, Vit K injection, etc.... just my opinion.

redlichen 10-20-2012 11:59 PM

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
Probiotics for infants, I had no idea they made such a thing, thanks for that info.

Minniebees 10-21-2012 07:23 AM

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
Infant probiotics are supposed to help with colic, too. But only one strain has actually been tested. There is a risk of sepsis, though. It is small, but there.

Check around online, I've read many births where the parents definitely regretted their decision because their LO's didn't make it. Antibiotics aren't fun, and we don't use them unless absolutely needed, but IMO, this is one time when they are absolutely warranted. The scientific evidence is very strong in favor of them.

ambie719 10-21-2012 07:32 AM

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
I was GBS+ and fully intended on getting the IV antibiotics, BUT my labor was so fast that there was no time. Everything turned out fine, no complications for baby at all and we still only had to stay at the hospital 1 night. If I had had a longer labor I definitely would've had them though.

MDever 10-21-2012 07:41 AM

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?
 
Many hospitals will require a longer stay for newborn observation if you refuse or are unable to get all of the labor doses. I have only been GBS+ once and even though I got the doses the pediatrician would not allow us to leave the hospital early. I was in a terrible situation(personal life) and my children were home with my husband whi had not been living with us. I was desperate to leave and the pedi kept saying "your baby could die" over and over. I am seriously considering an unassisted delivery this time because of all of the "stuff" at the hospital. Our local hospitals are super CPS happy for crunchy mamas. So obsurd when the crack heads that deliver get to walk out with their babies after the mom tests positive:banghead: but we can't refuse eye ointment:yuck:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors