Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Would you drive an extra.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455427)

happysmileylady 10-19-2012 08:24 AM

Would you drive an extra....

4 miles to save 15c per gallon on gasoline?

The station that is a mile from my house is 3.54 a gallon, the station that is 5 miles from my house is 3.39 a gallon. These are according to gas buddy app, and both are within the last hour.

tallanvor 10-19-2012 08:37 AM

Re: Would you drive an extra....

For me, it would depend. Do I have anything else in that direction to do? How long is it going to take to drive those 5 miles? How long have I been out and are the kids at the end of their ropes?

Part of me says yes, I would, but part of me says probably not. I don't drive a lot (often one tank of gas lasts me the whole month), so I might not.

If it was diesel, DH would drive that far because it would be more worth it than for the car.

Mommy/4boys 10-19-2012 08:49 AM

I would but most gas stations are at least that away from my house. The closet is 5 miles away and is always the highest so I drive about 10 miles to get the cheaper gas.

mamatoclaire 10-19-2012 08:53 AM

How much gas do you have to buy? Like, if I was filling hubby's truck from E I probably would. But filling my car from half like I normally do, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-19-2012 08:56 AM

no, it would literally save me like $1 and not make it worth it to me.

eileenAKAmommy 10-19-2012 09:17 AM

If you're filling up, yes.

I was happpy our gas was down to $4.09 here in NY! LOL Geez!

carriek38 10-19-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileenAKAmommy
If you're filling up, yes.

I was happpy our gas was down to $4.09 here in NY! LOL Geez!

I know, right? We're hovering at $3.97-$4.03 in CNY. Commuting 75 mi/ day, plus whatever I drive for work, I might do it. Every little bit helps, yk?

harmoni247 10-19-2012 09:52 AM

No, Ive read that driving more than a mile for cheaper wash makes it a wash or sometimes even more expensive. If i get 20 mpg and im driving 5 miles, ive used a quarter gallon. At around 4 per gallon (our prices) that would be a dollar to get to the station and a dollar back. Your prices would be slightly less than two dollars total to get there...that means you would have to buy about 12 gallons to make it a wash. Any less and youre losing money. Im usually buyimg less than that.

happysmileylady 10-19-2012 10:01 AM

I decided it's not worth it.

It would be specifically to fill up. So it's 4 miles there and then 4 miles back home. It's a 16 gallon tank, almost empty. To put 16 gallons in the tank, it would be $2.40 savings. However, my car gets about 20 mpg. Which means that I would use about 2/5 of a gallon just to get there an back, which would cost $1.20. So, essentially, I would be driving 4 miles just to save $1.20. At a week post partum, that's not really worth it.

I could manufacture a reason to go out that way, since TCP is out that way, and the clearance sale is pretty good, but I don't have any money budgeted for clothes so I am not giving in to that. I will just fill up by the house.

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-19-2012 10:11 AM

for me that's even with filling up (19 gallons). it would cost me 18 cents per mile to drive to the gas station and back. so even if i was saving $2.85 to fill up i would still be using an additional $1.44 for the round trip. doesnt seem worth it