Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cloth wipe question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455598)

Katiebug_1976 10-19-2012 04:45 PM

Cloth wipe question

Does anyone use birdseye cotton wipes (like the ones GMD has)? I really want to make some cloth wipes that will work for my newbie this time around. I made some 2 sided wipes with my last child that were flannel on one side and old t-shirt on the other, but they just didn't seem very absorbant (was kind of hard to get them wet), and there was really not a "grippy" side for messy clean up's. I also found a bunch of cheap baby wash cloths at Walmart so I thought those might work. Um, no...they were completely useless as wipes or wash cloths because they wouldn't absorb water at all! So, now that I have my diaper stash figured out, I'm on a quest to find a fabric that will make a nice soft/grippy wipe so I wont have to buy sposie wipes all the time.

abunchoflemons 10-19-2012 05:02 PM

Re: Cloth wipe question

I just use old shirts no multi layers. They work well 4 us.just water on them. Mine aren't hard to get wet.

onegratefulmama 10-19-2012 08:17 PM

Lots of mamas like different materials flannel/Sherpa flannel/terry or cotton velour or organic bamboo velour check out quilters nappies on hyena for some ideas. http://hyenacart.com/stores/QuiltersNappies
That said I like 1 ply flannel for the diaper bag out & about and use a mix of terry washcloths and flannel/Sherpa from QN at home. Enjoy looking & trying some out!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

myclanof6 10-20-2012 08:21 AM

I'm guessing the cheap washcloths you got from WM were polyester, which doesn't absorb anything. I bought a pack once and had the same experience. TRU has their rainbow wipes on sale 12/$5 until today or tomorrow.
I'm a fan of cotton washcloths just because they are cheap and they work for us. I bleach my diapers every load so I don't worry about bacteria when I use them to wipe hands and faces. :)

Katiebug_1976 10-20-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myclanof6 (Post 15836098)
I'm guessing the cheap washcloths you got from WM were polyester, which doesn't absorb anything. I bought a pack once and had the same experience. TRU has their rainbow wipes on sale 12/$5 until today or tomorrow.
I'm a fan of cotton washcloths just because they are cheap and they work for us. I bleach my diapers every load so I don't worry about bacteria when I use them to wipe hands and faces. :)

Yep, they were polyester (which, of course, I didn't realize until I had opened every package and washed them. UGH!! Anyway, what is TRU? I would like to check out their wipes, but am not smart enough to figure out where to go. LOL!

lynn97 10-20-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katiebug_1976

Yep, they were polyester (which, of course, I didn't realize until I had opened every package and washed them. UGH!! Anyway, what is TRU? I would like to check out their wipes, but am not smart enough to figure out where to go. LOL!

Toys R Us.

Sorry, mama. I posted a PSA on this a while back. I bought a ton of baby washcloths from Amazon that I love (they are Spasilk brand). I ran across some cheapies at my house a few months back from baby gifts and they were 100% polyester. I had the same experience. I threw them away and I rarely throw things away. I just saw no purpose/use for them, though. I have no clue why anyone sells 100% polyester washcloths.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

mamarudy 10-20-2012 07:02 PM

I bought flannel material to make my wipes. i have a question though...is it really necessary to use a wipe solution/spray or do most people just use water? do you recommend a dry or wet method for the wipes?

bohemianxchaos 10-20-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamarudy
I bought flannel material to make my wipes. i have a question though...is it really necessary to use a wipe solution/spray or do most people just use water? do you recommend a dry or wet method for the wipes?

Water works juuuuust fine. I keep mine wet (fresh each day) for convenience. Ive also added TTO so i can make a batch for a few days.

'Smartphone' approved ;)

mamarudy 10-20-2012 07:52 PM

i hadn't heard about using TTO. thanks for the tip!

Katiebug_1976 10-21-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohemianxchaos (Post 15837976)
Water works juuuuust fine. I keep mine wet (fresh each day) for convenience. Ive also added TTO so i can make a batch for a few days.

'Smartphone' approved ;)

What is TTO?