Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due in March (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Hypnobirthing/Hypnobabies (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455974)

Sunshine915 10-21-2012 08:19 AM

Hypnobirthing/Hypnobabies

There's lotsa chit chat about this on the weekly thread. I have a bunch of questions, so I thought a new thread might be helpful for all of us. Feel free to ask more questions or anything!

I really want to go med free this time. I always try, but by 5 cm or so and 10-15 hours of labor, I get my epi. I know the possible side effects (and the news about the fungal meningitis, although unrelated to labor and pregnancy, has me even more gun shy about interventions). So, please tell me about this hypnosis stuff!

I have no problem with preparing pre-delivery, but one of my favorite parts about labor is spending time with my husband. We like to walk the halls, chat, and laugh. Are these kinds of programs going to require that I listen to music/scripts and tune out the rest of the world? I guess I don't really understand the process, but I hear so many good things that I'd love to see if it would be a good idea for someone like me. I'm kind of a goofball and worry that hypnobirthing sounds just too "serious" for me.

love2row 10-21-2012 10:01 AM

Re: Hypnobirthing/Hypnobabies

DH & I are thinking about Hypnobirthing this time around, but more because my doula partner teaches the classes and wants me to become familiar with it. I attended a birth where the mama used Hypnobabies, and I can tell it's just not for me. My understanding is that Hypnobabies uses scripts and cue words to get into a relaxed state, whereas Hypnobirthing is more about using breathing techniques to relax and get through contractions. My guess is that DH & I will take the classes and then decide what will work best for us during the actual labor.

You might also consider Bradley or look into a custom class where the educator combines several techniques to use. We used Bradley with DS & liked it because it really incorporated DH in the birth. I was able to get through a 27 hr labor w/a natural birth using it.

A couple other things to look into - a doula can help really show your DH how he can help you during contractions. I know that try to be very hands-off initially when I work as a doula to allow the dad to really be a main part of the labor process. I step in and help when needed, but am more there for emotional support and suggestions. Also, I know that there is a pregnancy center near me that offers a partner pregnancy/labor massage class that one of my couples took. They were able to use the massage techniques during labor to help ease the contractions.

Of course I'm biased, but the combination of a couple who has taken a good natural childbirth class (something that is 6-weeks or more) combined with a doula, and has practiced working through different situations has the most positive birth experiences. Good luck & HTH.

ETA: Here's a link from my parters website on Hypnobirthing. It does a good job of explaining at least that one method: http://pregnancywellnesscenterofpark...hypnobirthing/

Sunshine915 10-21-2012 07:45 PM

Bradley! How could I have forgotten about that? Yes, that's something I've been curious about, too. Thanks so much for all the info! I really appreciate it :)

lilbitcrunchy 10-22-2012 05:16 AM

I can only tell you my experience with it. For me, Hypnobabies was great. I am a type that doesn't like to be bothered during labor. It's the same when I'm sick, I just want to be left alone so I can deal or I try to continue life as normal so I don't draw a lot of attention. So, I personally would never want a doula (or my husband even for that matter lol). I recommend them all the time of course to help mamas have natural births so I'm not against it, just know it's not for me. My natural instinct in labor is to go off somewhere by myself, and I thank my midwife so much for being completely hands off.

Ok, so with Hypnobabies you're given cd's that have the instructor guiding you on how to put yourself under hypnosis. Starting around 32 weeks I think or a little later, you listen to them in sequence every day. I chose right before bed as no little ones would be bothering me. I always fell asleep! It was just that relaxing, even DH would say put it on the stereo so he could hear it too and he'd pass out :giggle2: There is a partner script that DH read to me exactly twice. It's mainly so that should you need his support getting more relaxed, his voice and touch will be a cue for you as well. Even just doing it twice, it totally worked. I had one point where I was pushing and started to freak out a bit at the unexpected pushing my body was doing and DH put his hand on me just like the script and bam..instantly calmed down. If you like your DH walk with you all that, by all means, you can still do that. It teaches you to be in "center" not a zombie on the couch, able to move and talk and do whatever you need to do. The cue word peace is all I remember. During contractions, I would say peace to myself and that helped me relax more. Breathing is certainly involved too, as that's what you do to get into the hypnotic state to begin with. I love the fact that it's totally something I can do for myself. *I* needed to birth my baby to get over the disappointment and regret I had after my first labor. I needed to know and prove to myself that I was powerful beyond measure as they said in BOBB.

Here's some links comparing them I found googling

http://birthnaturally.org/hypnosis-for-childbirth-.html
http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...pnoclasses.htm
http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/enjoy_jake.htm
http://www.mothering.com/community/t...hing-vs-others

And I have to amend my statement that I turned off the tracks during labor. During the day it was off, but when I got back in the tub it was on! I'm just watching my birth video again and totally did not remember it being on haha.

I would say Bradley too for sure as that's definitely all about your partner coaching you. HTH.

amb2j 10-22-2012 06:07 AM

I used hypnotbirthing and loved it. Since I have a strong background in hypnotherapy, I was mainly self taught. I read the book and listened to the scripts daily starting around 30 ish weeks. I ran into the rare problem of actually relaxing/ hypnotizing my body to the point that labor stopped lol (wasn't funny at the time though), but I think that was more an artifact of my sensitivity to hypnosis rather than hypnobirthing itself. I have plans to do hypnobirthing again. It worked well for my personality and allowed me to relax and cope independently ( which I prefer to do when in pain).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Sunshine915 10-22-2012 12:04 PM

No offense to the doulas, as I think they can be wonderful for plenty of women, but I don't think I could have one. I like being left alone, too, except for DH. I don't mind the occasional nurse or my doc to pop in or be there when needed, but I know I'd feel uncomfortable with a doula, no matter how awesome.

I like the idea of listening to the cds to find cues to find peace. I said prayers during the worst contractions before, but it only helped to get my mind off of the pain a little bit. I definitely need something to bring PEACE while praying for strength and my baby's health.

You guys are awesome! I can't believe all the info in just a few answers! Thanks :)

NappyChappy 10-24-2012 02:21 PM

I read a lot with DS and I think that was key for me to take bits and pieces of each technique to combine them into my own.

Henci Goer- Thinking woman's guide to better birth
Pam England- Birthing from within
Janet Balaskas- Active birth
Robert Bradley- Husband Coached
InaMay Gaskin- all
Penny Simkin- Birth Partner

I think a lot is mental preparation and support while in the moment. Staying active and upright helped me tremendously coping with each rush. Not having the 'oh are you ready for your epi' can help- write it in your birth plan that you don't want meds. If YOU change your mind so be it but don't let them put that worm in your head!

Best of luck!

love2row 10-24-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NappyChappy (Post 15853526)
I read a lot with DS and I think that was key for me to take bits and pieces of each technique to combine them into my own.

Henci Goer- Thinking woman's guide to better birth
Pam England- Birthing from within
Janet Balaskas- Active birth
Robert Bradley- Husband Coached
InaMay Gaskin- all
Penny Simkin- Birth Partner

I think a lot is mental preparation and support while in the moment. Staying active and upright helped me tremendously coping with each rush. Not having the 'oh are you ready for your epi' can help- write it in your birth plan that you don't want meds. If YOU change your mind so be it but don't let them put that worm in your head!

Best of luck!

Thank you for mentioning the "Birth Partner"! I'm finishing this right now as part of my doula training & then am going to pass it on to DH. There is such great info for dad in there - regardless of what method you decide to do.

I also second all of the Ina May books, but then I tend to hold her on a bit of a pedestal, so there may be some bias there. :giggle:

lilbitcrunchy 10-25-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2row

Thank you for mentioning the "Birth Partner"! I'm finishing this right now as part of my doula training & then am going to pass it on to DH. There is such great info for dad in there - regardless of what method you decide to do.

I also second all of the Ina May books, but then I tend to hold her on a bit of a pedestal, so there may be some bias there. :giggle:

I totally want to take a road trip to the farm and just hang out with Ina lol.

love2row 10-26-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbitcrunchy (Post 15859094)
I totally want to take a road trip to the farm and just hang out with Ina lol.

Yes! They have a midwife assistant program at The Farm & I really want to go through it. I mentioned it jokingly to my mw & DH at an appointment recently, and surprisingly DH wasn't against it. Maybe he was putting on a good face since we were with our mw, but... I'm thinking a road trip might be in order next summer.