Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Medela Lactina? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455986)

Minniebees 10-21-2012 08:58 AM

Medela Lactina?

Any thoughts on this pump? Or, maybe, do you know where I can get a refurbished Symphony? I can get a Lactina refurb for a decent price, but not the Symphony.

Quick background. I'm expecting a late pre-term baby, and I have always had problems with just barely having enough supply. #3 was diagnosed FTT, the others just barely didn't meet criteria for the diagnosis. I have always has a PISA, and could never get any milk out of it at all. Well, enough to cover the bottom of the little collection things, but just barely. I'm a terrible pumper. I know from experience that late pre-term babies have difficulty breastfeeding, so I really need a pump that will actually work for me.

Tricare will not cover a pump unless the baby is actually in the NICU, and when it goes home the pump goes back to the NICU. I prefer not to rent cause I'm a scatterbrain and will forgot to return it. :blush:

I did all the stuff to increase supply BTW, so I really specifically want reviews on pumps right now. TIA!

crunchymom2b 10-21-2012 10:58 AM

Re: Medela Lactina?

have you checked ebay?

Miss squish 10-21-2012 06:43 PM

I rented one from the LC we were working with. I had it about 4 months. I had supply issues and did lots of pumping to increase. I now have a Medela in style advanced.

The lactina never left my nipples sore and I would say I could get maybe 1/2 oz more per session than I can with the in style.

I don't know where you can purchase one but I do recommend it.

Minniebees 10-22-2012 06:31 AM

Thanks for the review! So, the Lactina should be better than the PISA? I'd rather have the Symphony, but not for over $1,000 more.
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymom2b (Post 15839780)
have you checked ebay?

I have. Ebay seems really overpriced, though. :hide:

Miss squish 10-22-2012 01:50 PM

Definitely lactina over PISA if you can afford it, IMO.

bcb1961 10-22-2012 02:08 PM

I'd check out other brands too. I got an Ameda hospital grade from ebay for under $300. You just have to keep stalking.

Isn't paying for breastpumps part of obamacare? I'd check into that further because I'm pretty sure you should get some reimbursement under that.

jaelynsmommy61607 10-22-2012 02:10 PM

Hygeia endeare
you can rent them directly from hygeia for $25 a month. The first month is $45. I love love love mine. They're far superior to medela.

I want to add I was using a Pisa before. Once I got the hygeia my right boob let down and I started getting the same amount as the left.

http://jennandtonica.com/2012/09/let...a-or-m-plus-h/

Meredith+2 10-22-2012 02:50 PM

I've owned a Lactina for about seven years and have been very happy with it. It's very sturdy- designed for lots of people to abuse it- and it holds up well. It's about the size and weight of a cinder block, so it's not terribly portable, but if it's going to stay in one place (mostly) it's a real workhorse.

I like being able to loan it out and resell it without worry. I could sell mine today for about what I bought it for seven years ago.

Minniebees 10-24-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcb1961 (Post 15844261)
I'd check out other brands too. I got an Ameda hospital grade from ebay for under $300. You just have to keep stalking.

Isn't paying for breastpumps part of obamacare? I'd check into that further because I'm pretty sure you should get some reimbursement under that.

From what I understand, pumps are sort of covered. However, the catch (there's always a catch :giggle: ) is that your insurance must be new as of Aug 1st, or the policy must have been renewed Aug 1. Neither is true for us and Tricare, so they are not covered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meredith+2 (Post 15844470)
I've owned a Lactina for about seven years and have been very happy with it. It's very sturdy- designed for lots of people to abuse it- and it holds up well. It's about the size and weight of a cinder block, so it's not terribly portable, but if it's going to stay in one place (mostly) it's a real workhorse.

I like being able to loan it out and resell it without worry. I could sell mine today for about what I bought it for seven years ago.

Thanks for your review! I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. I can get it for about 350 refurbed, which is close enough to the PISA that I think its worth it.

Any tips on what type of kit to get with it? I don't need a car charger or anything, I'm just going to park it next to my rocking chair and leave it there.

spencerrn 10-24-2012 07:08 AM

Tricare will cover the kit just ask for one at the hossy. It is nice to have 2 setts of flanges. If you had a PIS the flanges from that will work.