Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Cleaning/sterilizing menstrual cups (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456168)

GEM Cloth 10-21-2012 10:11 PM

Cleaning/sterilizing menstrual cups

I've always boiled mine every month (or every couple of months if I forget) BUT I just read that you shouldn't do this as it causes them to wear out faster. That vinegar should be used to disinfect them.

I normally wash mine with a mild soap (castile soap and water) once a day and then boil at the beginning or end of my period. Now I will be cleaning them with vinegar at the beginning instead of boiling.

Thoughts?

Not plugging for the company that published this information but I'm happy to learn it and also happy to learn that this cup is the only one manufactured in the U.S., for those who are concerned about things like that. I do have one of these cups and like it quite a bit.

Shimpie 10-22-2012 03:28 PM

Re: Cleaning/sterilizing menstrual cups

I boil mine every other month or so. What's the lifespan of a cup, anyhow? Just curious. I figure if a cup lasts 5 years, I'll be happy.

TrennaII 10-24-2012 05:31 PM

I tend to just rinse and reinsert it, based on recommendations I got from my doc about nuvaring use (don't use soap, the vagina is not a sterile place anyway and soap residue is more of a problem).

End of the cycle I soak in diluted hydrogen peroxide. It's several years old and in good shape.

GEM Cloth 10-24-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrennaII (Post 15854328)
I tend to just rinse and reinsert it, based on recommendations I got from my doc about nuvaring use (don't use soap, the vagina is not a sterile place anyway and soap residue is more of a problem).

End of the cycle I soak in diluted hydrogen peroxide. It's several years old and in good shape.

Good ideas ... I will try a diluted peroxide soak next time. I was thinking the vagina was self-cleaning ...

Heather8183 10-24-2012 06:44 PM

I always put mine in a Medela microwave bag lol

DottieHarley 10-25-2012 10:27 AM

Ummm... I generally just rinse, and probably once a day I wash it out with castile soap :hide: I rinse it really, really well. Don't think I've boiled it since I first got it.
I was this way with bottles and pumping stuff, too. Doesn't seem to have hurt anyone.

lalaith 10-27-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DottieHarley
Ummm... I generally just rinse, and probably once a day I wash it out with castile soap :hide: I rinse it really, really well. Don't think I've boiled it since I first got it.
I was this way with bottles and pumping stuff, too. Doesn't seem to have hurt anyone.

Ooh, me too! Pumping stuff gets rinsed, swished in soapy water, and rinsed again. My cup gets soap if all the gunk isn't rinsing off (I'm a heavy clotter).

Puppydog 10-30-2012 11:48 AM

I also just wash once a day in the shower. I will sometimes use a nail brush to get rid of the brown staining. Never boiled my current one.

Not sure on life span as my youngest dog demolished my first 2. LOL.

EssentialGoodz 11-08-2012 07:45 AM

Well...i just boiled mine for the first time in like 6 months... I think thats how long I've had it- can't remember exactly. Anyway, before that I just washed with hot water and Johnson's baby wash and then put back in the cotton bag in came in.

I will probably continue to boil now once a month. I dont feel like its a big deal, and it makes me feel better knowing its cleaned really well! :) After all, we washed bottles for babies and put the silicone in the washer... Its lasts just fine. I think though, like most thing, the overall conditions and wear may preserved by not overdoing it with high heat.

To each her own.

EssentialGoodz 11-08-2012 07:49 AM

And also... From what I'ved noticed, at least with laundry, is that high heat and white distilled vinegar wear things out super fast! I like to put in a little vinegar for really stinky items and even diapers-it is somewhat harsh to me. Anyway, different kind of cleaning, but I still have to wonder.