Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   sewing/dyeing with interlock (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456306)

Ainmemphis 10-22-2012 12:46 PM

sewing/dyeing with interlock

I have been drooling over some interlock for awhile and decided to take the plunge and order some from nature's fabrics. I read a short tutorial on dyeing and it sounds easy but I know that is not often the case. Anyone have any pointers for sewing with interlock (I'm made up-cycled soakers/longies from sweaters but never interlock). I am planning on using the Katrina's soaker pattern. or any tried and true resources for dyeing? Thanks!

Only 10-22-2012 03:34 PM

I was going to post something similar.

I have interlock I need to dye. I found a tutorial by ADG but wondered if there were any other tips etc.

AniMommy 10-22-2012 04:20 PM

Re: sewing/dyeing with interlock

google dyeing fleece/yarn with kool-aid, food coloring, wilton's icing dyeing. You'll find a millon sites/tuts on doing it. Also look up acid dyeing in wool.

It's really simple.

Can be done in a crock pot easily. Basically, soak your wool item in water for 30 min. Take a crock pot (don't use it for food afterwards so a trip to the salvation army for a used one is in order). Fill about 2/3 full of water, add a generous pour of white vinegar (a good glug or two), add the dye (kool-aid/wiltons/food coloring), and submerge the item to be dyed.

Turn the crock pot on and leave it alone for about 30 min. DO NOT DUNK SWIRL STIR OR OTHERWISE MOVE THE ITEM or FELTING/SHRINKING/BAD STUFF will occur.

Check after about 30 min, if the dye bath is clear then all the dye has been absorbed and voila you're done.

I leave the item to cool in the dye bath before taking it out to rinse.

This can also be done in the microwave, on a stove top or I think even in a dishwasher.

Commercial acid dyes work in the same manner and will give more intense/greater variety of colors.

Ainmemphis 10-22-2012 04:24 PM

I have been googling a lot today! Thanks for sharing your method. I am excited to get started, I just need to decide on a color!

topazdodge 10-22-2012 04:32 PM

I think if you're using wilton's, kool-aid, or food coloring it should be safe to use a regular crock-pot that you use for food. If you're using professional acid dyes you don't want to use the same crock-pot for food afterwards. :thumbsup:

coveredcaboose 10-22-2012 05:09 PM

I would recommend a pot you can stir, the key to even color with wool is to stir a lot.
If you dont stir it will get all mottled looking.
The washer is best. If you don't want to felt it though the washer won't work

Only 10-22-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coveredcaboose
I would recommend a pot you can stir, the key to even color with wool is to stir a lot.
If you dont stir it will get all mottled looking.
The washer is best. If you don't want to felt it though the washer won't work

Would it be best to turn the water heater up to ensure its hot enough? I read that in the ADG tut.

With stirring which gives the most even color, a washer or the stove?

I assumed the washer since it would have more room to move around.

coveredcaboose 10-23-2012 01:49 PM

yes if you can crank up the heat that is best, You will get better color with the washer. Here is a trick, wash/dye hot, and extend the cycle, so let it run for the full length and then reset to do it again. Skip the rinse and then toss it in the dryer.

jessreichenbach 10-23-2012 02:43 PM

I agree with that ^. The ADG tute is the one i just used on my last 2 pieces of wool i dyed and i will not ever go back to a pot on the stove! I did the stove top and stirring thing twice and both times the color wasn't completely even, with the ADG washer tute it came out PERFECT! I just ordered another yard in their seconds sale so I can dye it too!

MuzicMom 10-23-2012 06:34 PM

The ADG pattern is awesome too (not free). I used the Katrina pattern for years with fleece (and love it) but went and splurged on a AWESOME pattern the first time I sewed with interlock. Have fun!