Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My newborn's clavicle is broken (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456412)

HeatherlovesCDs 10-22-2012 04:38 PM

My newborn's clavicle is broken

He's 10 days old. Today, I noticed a boney feeling lump on his shoulder. My husband is a physical therapist (not working with children through) and said it wasn't normal and looked like he probably had a broken clavicle (collar bone). I took him to the pediatrician and we got an x-ray. Sure enough, it's broken. We assume it happened at birth but since he has showed no pain or other symptoms it went unnoticed. The lump is from it healing.

I feel so awful and guilty and...embarrassed. He was 9lbs 1oz, much bigger than my other babies. I feel like I ate too much, grew him too big and then broke his clavicle when I pushed him out. :cry: I'm devastated! My poor baby. :(

Any other moms who had this happen feel this way? If your child got an obvious bump from it, did it go away over time? My husband thinks it may not go away, but he doesn't work with children and knows his experience is with adults. The dr said it probably would because he is so young, but maybe not completely. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for listening/reading.

Sabra 10-22-2012 04:58 PM

Re: My newborn's clavicle is broken

It will go away. No worries there. The bump is part of the healing process. I don't know what it is, or why it shows up, but you will not be able to tell after a little while. My oldest daughter broke her collarbone at age 2, and you cannot tell now (she's 10). You actually couldn't tell by maybe six months later. :hugs: These things happen.

Vivhop98 10-22-2012 05:30 PM

My daughter broke hers during birth. She healed perfectly and you would never know. Congrats on your baby!

Emily Whited 10-22-2012 05:40 PM

I broke mine at age 13, Mine healed at an angle so I have a small lump but it doesn't stick up or anything. (more of a lump that connected the two bones) More like something I know is there but no one else would unless I showed them. I hope you little one heals fast and you did nothing wrong some babies are just bigger than others.

Skatha89 10-22-2012 05:46 PM

I broke mine at 4. It is noticeably thicker where the break was than my other collar bone. I hope your newbie heals quickly! You did nothing wrong to cause it, it just happened.

Ryder 10-22-2012 05:52 PM

I work in pedi ortho. Yes it will go away. Your baby is SO young and as the body heals it will remodel the bone. The only thing that slightly worries me is you don't mention it bring a difficult birth or the baby having pain. Although newborns can have broken clavicles from birth parents usually report a difficult extraction, shoulder distocia, or pain after birth. There is also a condition pseudoarthrosis of the clavicle where it doesn't fuse together right and the baby has a clavicle that basically isn't connected. It can often be mistaken for a fracture. This issue will not heal without intervention. It has a very classic appearance on X-ray. I would request a repeat X-ray in 2-3 weeks to make sure it heals or else see a pedi ortho person. Hope things get better quick though!!!

HeatherlovesCDs 10-22-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryder (Post 15845216)
I work in pedi ortho. Yes it will go away. Your baby is SO young and as the body heals it will remodel the bone. The only thing that slightly worries me is you don't mention it bring a difficult birth or the baby having pain. Although newborns can have broken clavicles from birth parents usually report a difficult extraction, shoulder distocia, or pain after birth. There is also a condition pseudoarthrosis of the clavicle where it doesn't fuse together right and the baby has a clavicle that basically isn't connected. It can often be mistaken for a fracture. This issue will not heal without intervention. It has a very classic appearance on X-ray. I would request a repeat X-ray in 2-3 weeks to make sure it heals or else see a pedi ortho person. Hope things get better quick though!!!

Thanks for your insight. It was not a difficult delivery. I pushed 2 or 3 times total and needed no help getting him out. He definitely did not show any symptoms prior to the boney lump that I noticed this morning. He has never seemed to be in pain from it. The dr called the fracture a green stick fracture. It did look on the x-ray like it had been previously connected because one side sort of splintered if that makes sense. But, I also did read about the condition you are talking about. Thanks for the heads up! He has an appt in about 2wks. I'll mention to the dr then that I'd like to have it x-rayed again just to make sure. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!

Kiliki 10-22-2012 06:25 PM

nvm. I can't. You can PM me Heather if you want

HeatherlovesCDs 10-22-2012 06:29 PM

Kiliki - :hugs:

Ryder 10-22-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs

Thanks for your insight. It was not a difficult delivery. I pushed 2 or 3 times total and needed no help getting him out. He definitely did not show any symptoms prior to the boney lump that I noticed this morning. He has never seemed to be in pain from it. The dr called the fracture a green stick fracture. It did look on the x-ray like it had been previously connected because one side sort of splintered if that makes sense. But, I also did read about the condition you are talking about. Thanks for the heads up! He has an appt in about 2wks. I'll mention to the dr then that I'd like to have it x-rayed again just to make sure. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!

Green stick does not at all sound like what pseudoarthrosis looks like! I think it will heal up beautifully but it will take some time, prob a few months for tre bump to lessen. Good luck, and congrats on your new bundle of joy :)