Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Thinking about giving up meat... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456789)

lauren_brooke 10-23-2012 04:48 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to post this so please move if needed.

I've thought for a long time about giving up meat, but just could never do it. I love hamburgers and chicken! But the thought has been on my mind more and more. I know DH would never go for it, but i'm interested in trying. Any tips on getting started? And good alternatives to meat for dishes that normally require meat?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

lauren_brooke 10-23-2012 09:41 PM

Anyone?

strongwoman 10-23-2012 10:15 PM

Re: Thinking about giving up meat...

You could try tofu. Also, since its fall season, butternut squash in a lentil stew is pretty good. Burritos with sautéed bell peppers and onions (like at Chipotle), rice, beans, and avocados are pretty tasty if you season them right. Ive found that going meatless doesnt have to be difficult. it has a lot to do with getting the right flavors on the veggies to make them taste good. Just start checking out some simple vegetarian recipes online and buy lots of veggies! I hope this helps!

Resellmybelle 10-23-2012 10:35 PM

Good for you!

A great way to start is going Meatless Monday.

Substitutions we eat pretty regularly:
Almond milk - good in coffee, over cereal and in cooking. Get the vanilla for sweet dishes like pancakes and original for things like mashed potatoes and creamy soups.
Egg Replacer - use in any baking capacity, we like Bob's Red Mill, but you can also find other substitutes for eggs
Coconut milk - use in baking, like cakes and in Thai dishes
Coconut oil - I use in place of any fat in baking and all purpose oil for cooking
Tofu - meat & egg substitute, we all love it and make scrambled eggless tacos all the time! Yummo
Earth Balance - butter replacement
Tofutti's Better than sour cream & Better than Cream Cheese
Daiya cheese substitutes
Smart dogs

Here is a very nice list of subtitutions also.

I began going veggie by finding my substitutions one at a time and eventually it became like second nature. It is not hard AT ALL! I truly believe this statement from the vegan wolf site: "In baking and cooking, recipes calling for egg and/or dairy products are very easily changed, with virtually no difference in the end product! They will make you wonder why anyone ever used eggs and milk before!"

You can also visit blogs like Happy Herbivore and Daily Garnish, both wonderful helpful vegetarian chefs. Lindsay, from HH, even sells meal plans if you feel like that is what you need. She has incredible cookbooks, I have all but the latest one. Emily's story from Daily Garnish is a must read.

There is a get started kit here!

Must see movie: forks over knives Get the book too!

An important documentary to see is Earthlings the movie. I went veggie overnight after watching this film, but watch with a friend if you can. Not for the lo's.

By going vegetarian my lifelong asthma and allergies has reversed and I never ever get headaches anymore, they used to be a daily thing for me and I rarely, maybe once every couple years catch a cold. I know this is a direct result of getting animal proteins out of my diet.

I have not had considerable changes in my weight, but I attribute that to the fact that I am not exercising regularly and not eating as much fat free whole foods like I should, so keep that in mind.

My parents have both gone 100% plant based after reading The China Study. Dad's cholesterol shot down drastically without drugs and was able to get off his meds for this problem.

You may get a lot out of that book The China Study, it is a wonderful place to start, read the amazon.com reviews!

Another good book is Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. He has a wonderful site with many success stories here.. Not only are they dropping pounds, they are reversing heart disease and diabetes. No meat diet can say that!

I also would likely begin dropping weight if I went more by his fat free vegan method, but I eat crap like chips and french fries...so...:yuck:

There is so much support on facebook and in blogs. I know there are some vegetarian threads on here too, just have to find them. :goodvibes:

PM me anytime for more information or if you just want to chat about going veggie.

Oh and I thought my DH would never go for it either, but I am the cook and he gobbles up everything I make with gusto. When we eat out he still chooses veggie, even on business trips. He is a saint! I am not the nagging type, he does it because he feels better too!

:hugs:

krispy79 10-23-2012 11:21 PM

We started not by looking for meat alternatives but by preparing dishes that didn't require meat. After a few weeks we started doing more tofu based or eating meat substitutes.
Going right to meat substitures or alternative is going to make you say "blah" because you have expectations of meat taste and texture.
Some favorites that helped my whole family transition were homemade pizza, creamy garlic parm noodles (olive garden recipe), pad thai, quesidillas, broccoli alfredo,meatless fajitas, and a few recipes from the meatless monday website. We also do lots of soups. Make a list of all the foods you eat that don't have meat, or the meat could be removed without having a major impact on the dish.
A note on lentil tacos, I find using veggie broth and a packet of regular taco seasoning to cook the lentils gives it the most taco like taste.

Sent from my (not so)Smartphone using DS Forum

lauren_brooke 10-24-2012 07:44 AM

Thank you! I'll have to check out the sites and documentaries. I've heard a lot of good things about Forks over Knives. I still need to talk to DH and let him know I'm thinking about this. I don't expect him to be on board but maybe he'll eventually try some stuff. I have a friend who's giving me some books and recipes that he used when he went cold turkey and have it up.

So I know there are different types of vegetarians...and I haven't read a whole lot about it. But can you still do eggs, milk, cheese? I love eggs and don't know if I could give that up (at least not right away). And what about fish? Trying to learn as much as I can!

krispy79 10-24-2012 09:48 AM

Forks over knives did it for us, but we saw it the day after we watched 'vegucated' which had me in tears. Poor piggies :( Food inc, was also eye opening.

lauren_brooke 10-24-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krispy79
Forks over knives did it for us, but we saw it the day after we watched 'vegucated' which had me in tears. Poor piggies :( Food inc, was also eye opening.

I've seen some videos before that made me sick to watch. There's one that Steve-O narrates and I couldn't finish it. I follow Ian Somerhalder on a lot of this because he's a big advocate for it. He posts tons of info. I'm just trying to figure out where to start.

Are any of these documentaries on Netflix?

Resellmybelle 10-24-2012 10:56 AM

I think I linked you to the Netflix on Forks over Knives.

Yes, there are different types of vegetarians. You may wish to eliminate one animal at a time, say start with quitting pork first, or you may wish to eliminate all animal products period.

You can google vegetarian types, there are a lot of them. I practice vegan which eliminates all animal products from my diet.

lauren_brooke 10-24-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resellmybelle
I think I linked you to the Netflix on Forks over Knives.

Yes, there are different types of vegetarians. You may wish to eliminate one animal at a time, say start with quitting pork first, or you may wish to eliminate all animal products period.

You can google vegetarian types, there are a lot of them. I practice vegan which eliminates all animal products from my diet.

Thanks! When I clicked it it went to IMDB, but I'll find it on Netflix.

One animal at a time might be a good way to ease into it. I already don't eat pork (never liked it). So now I have to figure out what's next.

Thanks for all your help! I'll keep researching and hopefully you can help me along the way!