Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Chemerical on Netflix (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456955)

elizabeth.scalf 10-24-2012 08:39 AM

Chemerical on Netflix

If you have streaming Netflix, check this out. I put it on last night and DH sat and got interested. It's pretty neat. A typical American family goes all-natural cleaning and clears out like a trunk-full of detergents, cleaners, bleach. They start making their own from BS, vinegar, soap, water, and EOs. They even talk about cosmetics, presonal hygiene, etc. It was nice because my DH is an engineer and needs numbers/facts and it actually explains WHY all those things are bad lol

KelseyH 10-24-2012 08:51 AM

Looks interesting! :)

keonli 10-24-2012 08:58 AM

Re: Chemerical on Netflix

Awesome. I'll have to see that because that's just what we did in our home and I noticed a difference in our health and my home.

elizabeth.scalf 10-24-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keonli (Post 15852189)
Awesome. I'll have to see that because that's just what we did in our home and I noticed a difference in our health and my home.

The dad said he was waking up earlier, feeling refreshed. The son had asthma, and the mom was overdoing the chemical cleaning in his room to keep it clean. Afterward he felt better.

They had a microbiologist, and some other experts explain why soap and water are adequate. Some air-quality expert came in and tested their air, and their house was at unacceptable levels for VOCs. After they purged their chemicals, everything was so much cleaner and more breathable.

I've been impressed with Netflix and their selection of crunchy documentaries. You have to search for them, but ones like Food Inc, and this one, Business of being Born and tons of others I can't specifically remember their names. I've been putting them on occasionally for DH to help him understand why I do these crazy things, and that I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I even got him to agree to try organic beef after watching one of those documentaries about how meat is raised these days.

SamanthaSews 10-24-2012 09:05 AM

I watched it a while ago- it was good & informative

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

keonli 10-24-2012 09:10 AM

Thanks for updating with the results. I grew up in a home where my mom overloaded on chemicals and was always coughing and feeling sick (she's had cancer twice). When we moved, I gave up fabric softener and went for baking soda, vinegar, etc. My son, DH and I have seasonal allergies, as well as eczema, and the natural stuff really helps us in regards to that. We do run an air purifier though because we live in an older home that tends to get dusty (plus we're in the city).

I also loved watching "Vanishing of the Bees," "Berzynski," "Forks Over Knives," and "The Beautiful Truth."

elizabeth.scalf 10-24-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keonli (Post 15852231)
Thanks for updating with the results. I grew up in a home where my mom overloaded on chemicals and was always coughing and feeling sick (she's had cancer twice). When we moved, I gave up fabric softener and went for baking soda, vinegar, etc. My son, DH and I have seasonal allergies, as well as eczema, and the natural stuff really helps us in regards to that. We do run an air purifier though because we live in an older home that tends to get dusty (plus we're in the city).

I also loved watching "Vanishing of the Bees," "Berzynski," "Forks Over Knives," and "The Beautiful Truth."

Yes, Forks Over Knives and The Beautiful Truth are two others that I've watched recently, thanks for reminding me of the titles. One o the stats from the movie was that SAHMs get cancer 54% more than WOHMs because of the chemicals that they are constantly exposed to in their cleaning and household chores.

The only thig this movie missed was feminine hygiene products. They had a little blurb about a boy in the 50s who died from an overdose of dioxin from playing in runoff from a factory. I started screaming at the tv 'Those are found in disposable pads too!'

GEM Cloth 10-24-2012 12:59 PM

I will watch this the next opportunity I get!

Jenette 10-24-2012 05:50 PM

Thanks for adding to my Netflix list :)

I can add 1 more to the list .. dirt