Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   please share some healthy lunch ideas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457051)

angel nee nee 10-24-2012 01:15 PM

please share some healthy lunch ideas

hi everyone. i think this is rather cliche, but if you don't mind, would you share some healthy lunch ideas for your kids and/or yourself? i have really, really picky eaters and one or more of them seem to be allergic to nuts and possibly... weird, but tofu and some type of mayo.

i tried different food. right now, their favorite is ramen noodle and hotdogs. not very healthy. they wouldn't go for added veggies or side cole slaw.

i love them and want to feed them healthy food, but it is so hard to gind healthy food they would agree to eat.

luvsviola 10-24-2012 01:27 PM

Re: please share some healthy lunch ideas

My kiddos love lunch meat rolled up. I get the preservative free stuff. They also love swiss cheese plain. They will eat as many string cheeses as I will put out.

My 19 month old will eat as many raspberries as I will give her.

We do scrambled cheese eggs regularly.

My 5 year old daughter eats PB and Nutella daily...probably wouldn't work for your kids though.

munchkinflame13 10-24-2012 01:44 PM

My kids love zucchini bread/ zucchini muffins. I make them from Emeril's recipe. You can't even tell there are veggies in them. Do your kids like pickles? Sweet potato fries? Veggies with ranch dip? Those are good veggies to add to hot dogs. My kids are not very picky, but if they were I would totally purée veggies and add to foods without them knowing. My kids love tacos and I cook veggies in with it like bell peppers, onions, fresh tomatoes, etc and they love it. Or pizzadias (quesadillas made with motz and pizza toppings in dipped in pizza sauce) with veggies in. Or chili with veggies in it. Or chicken soup with veggies. And I usually give them fruit on the side. Hths :)

EmilytheStrange 10-24-2012 02:11 PM

check out weelicious.com
tons of meal ideas there.

I don't have a picky eater though, so I don't know how helpful these suggestions are:
-ham with pineapples
-grilled chicken (you can grill (or crockpot) a ton, cut it up and stick it in individual portions in the freezer, so it's easy to grab and reheat)
-cheese
-any fruit
-snap peas

I would also recommend trying veggie cutters. Like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stee...ef=pd_sim_k_64

veggies are more fun when they're shaped like flowers and such. I just got mine and did canteloupe and carrots and the carrots cut easier with these cutters than with my knife - they work very well.

-some kids love to dip it.
-apples and cheese
-fruit and yogurt
-different beans - butter, black, kidney

angel nee nee 10-25-2012 12:15 PM

Thanks so much. :) I am thinking about trying a new veggie dip recipe.

Anyone have a good recipe?

Honeymommy3 10-25-2012 12:39 PM

Is this to make at home or to send with them? Are there any veggies they'll eat?
Some things we do, that would work for you:
hard boiled eggs
pita chips/pita bread and hummus
Fruit, fruit kabobs
Sandwiches minus the mayo, or maybe sandwich meat, cheese and crackers (like a lunch able)
Spreadable cheese (laughing cow, cream cheese, etc.) and crackers (you could vary the cracker combos)
Rice dishes
Chicken quesadilla
Instead of pb, how about sunflower or almond butter?

I'll second wee-licious; they have lots of great recipes.

angel nee nee 10-25-2012 01:24 PM

thansk for more ideas. :) I'm looking for ideas to feed them at home.

canadianbakers 10-25-2012 02:49 PM

I usually have leftovers from supper the night before. Sometimes Levi has this, too, but not always. He likes apple slices, cheese & crackers, noodles (he doesn't really like KD, but pasta with parm cheese). I'm sure there's more I feed him for lunch... I know there is... just can't think of anything more right now!

leyash 10-25-2012 02:54 PM

I didn't read all of the above posts, so sorry if there are repeats.

My kids are known for eating fruits and veggie platters for lunch. Strawberries, blueberries, peaches, broccoli, carrots, corn, etc.

I also make grilled cheese, scrambled eggs, pancakes (with instant oatmeal in them), whole grain blueberry muffins, string cheese with fruits, hummus with tortilla chips, rice & carrots or black beans (or both), sesame trail mix...

kanga1622 10-25-2012 04:00 PM

DS loves ham, pulled pork, and grilled chicken. I sometimes make peanut butter roll ups and he likes to eat the little pinwheels. Cheese and crackers is always a big hit.

DS will eat leftover homemade pizza in a pinch but he really prefers it warm and he gets a cold lunch every day at daycare.

Mostly I worry about the protein portion of the lunch. We always have fruits and veggies to put in so I never have to think about it.