Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Would you buy allergy friendly treats from a small business online? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457081)

CMamma 10-24-2012 02:18 PM

Would you buy allergy friendly treats from a small business online?

Just checking for potential interest - We have several allergies here & I have been approached in person by a few parents about me cooking treats/snacks/breads for them. Also had 2 online friends ask as well about me selling them in HC or similar site. I'm def considering it, but I want to check to see if it would be worth my time/effort first.

If it helps, the allergies amongst our family members are gluten, dairy, corn, soy, white potatoes, shellfish, bananas & eggs.

TIA :) Any FB is welcome - pos or neg :)

luvsviola 10-24-2012 10:28 PM

Re: Would you buy allergy friendly treats from a small business online?

It would depend on the price including shipping. Shipping plus the amount of time you need to make them is going to make the treats expensive, and most things we can make at home.

CMamma 10-25-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15855368)
It would depend on the price including shipping. Shipping plus the amount of time you need to make them is going to make the treats expensive, and most things we can make at home.

I generally buy in bulk & do all the baking/cooking here. Despite the ingredients being more expensive than things generally found available like wheat, etc, I would still be able to make them for less than what companies are selling gluten dairy & other "free" items for, even with shipping I could beat the prices of most (though I'm sure not all) online retailers.

Would that make any difference? TIA :)

Hopper Graphics 10-30-2012 02:25 PM

I answered no, because I make all our treats personally (egg, dairy, nut free). However, I might buy special fancy chocolates or truffles or something if they were available depending on the price.

BNC 10-30-2012 04:34 PM

Specialty items, for occasional treats, yes. Cookies for regular consumption, no.

TrennaII 11-19-2012 08:55 PM

I really want to say yes but, no ... Because ...

-- There are tons of great choices in my local supermarket and dropping the price a smidge wouldn't make it worthwhile to have to order online.

-- I don't feel really really really secure that a home-based kitchen is truly as allergy-free as I need it to be. I'd want to see that you have a commissary kitchen and certifications (certified gluten free, Labeled kosher "parve" so I know there's no trace of milk ...)

-- Allergy free treats aren't that big a "problem" for us, to have to order online. We mostly need to find allergy free stuff that isn't a treat. For treats it's easy to do Mike & Ikes, coconut ice cream, fruit sorbet, plain popcorn ...

-- Since our allergy-free "treat" purchases are rare, I like to try something totally different each time.

I think you'd do better just trying to sell locally! There are great classes at a lot of community colleges for getting your food product "to market", without spending a ton of money. Since you have a great product (it's especially to see it free of gluten, eggs, milk, AND soy), and so many households are gluten free or otherwise allergenic these days, I bet you have plenty of people who need it locally! (I hear it's 1 in 4 families have to work with food sensitivities now!) Maybe a local naturopath's office wants to put some on the shelf!

MotherMoonPads 11-19-2012 09:02 PM

I voted no. My daughter had outgrown her allergies, but I was so incredibly nervous when she was reacting that I wouldn't allow anyone else to cook for her.

Nachomama 11-20-2012 09:27 AM

I would consider items that I can't/won't make myself like dairy free caramels or shaped chocolates. We have a LOT of sensitivies, though, so it is very hard to find products that work. I generally make what we want, but it would be nice to be able to buy some fancy things as a treat.

debcita429 12-05-2012 07:16 PM

I would probably only consider items that have a long shelf life b/c of vacuum-sealing and so forth (little allergy free treats for on the go). And I'm guessing you have more of a general bakery mindset?

DalesWidda 12-06-2012 07:01 AM

I might. I do a lot of baking at home but it's nice to not have to do it once in a while. Especially if it's something different that I don't normally make. But I'm not super picky about cross contamination. We have intolerances, not allergies, so a little cross contamination doesn't seem to bother any of us.