Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   weight loss and low back pain (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457258)

blackbirdmama*3 10-25-2012 06:28 AM

weight loss and low back pain

I desperately need to lose weight. I suffer from severe low back pain and sciatica so I am limited in what I can do. Any exercise suggestions?

tokidokikashikoi 10-25-2012 06:52 AM

Re: weight loss and low back pain

Have you seen a doctor about the cause of your back pain? The cause would really impact the exercises you could do... but maybe start with stretching/yoga? If the pain is caused by tight or unbalanced muscles the right stretches will really help and probably open up more exercises you can enjoy without pain.

MeCo7707 10-25-2012 06:56 AM

Walking. I had bad knees, back problems, etc and I changed to minimalist shoes and Tuesday I walked 10 miles while wearing one kid and pushing the other two and had no problems.

Not a workout but I would look into paleo/primal diet. It has done wonders for my body pain as well

blackbirdmama*3 10-25-2012 07:28 AM

Thanks! I have seen a dr and was diagnosed with a ruptured disc and extremely tight hip flexors. I have been doing yoga off and on and I notice a big difference when I do it consistently. I get frustrated though because some of the poses I used to do are hard with my added weight. I need to push through and do the ones I can though. I know my muscles are way out of balance. The majority of my pain comes from muscle spasms that are sometimes so severe I can't walk for a couple of days.

I used to eat paleo and was at a good weight but I have never really liked meat. I stopped the meat because I generally usually eat vegetarian and I have gained 20 pounds eating veg! I know it is because I eat too many carbs even though they are true whole grains we eat. I need to go back to paleo but maybe less meat? Is it even possible to eat paleo with limited meat? We do not eat red meat at all so the meat I was eating was chicken, turkey and fish.

abunchoflemons 10-25-2012 07:36 AM

I do cardiovascular boxing/ shadow boxing. Tai chi or something like that is small movements but I hears help.

tallanvor 10-25-2012 11:04 AM

Gaiam has a yoga for weight loss DVD that is good.

An elliptical might be a good option, as well.

As far as going paleo, I don't know much about the diet, but I would think that you could cut back on the meat so long as you were adding other sources of good protein and fats.

MeCo7707 10-30-2012 01:58 PM

I don't see a problem with low meat in a paleo diet...some days I don't have meat at all-