Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Pots & pans (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457270)

loganzmama 10-25-2012 08:24 AM

Pots & pans

Cross posted in Kitchen
I am looking into getting new pots & pans but need some opinions on which to get. I am looking for ones I can add piece by piece but still cant break the bank since I don't have a lot to shell out at once but I want to get something that will hold up & last. I was looking at the Builtmore collection (I think that is the name of them. Lol)my at Belks. I don't need a ton of different pots & pans. I would prefer to keep semi-minimalist lol such as a lid that can fit 2+ different bottoms. If it helps we are a family of 3 but have 1 or 2 extra ppl sometimes I am NOT a "fancy" cook I should be OK with the basics. Lol
So what brands would you suggest?
What amount/size of pots & pans would you recommend?
Thank you for any input. :)

passthepickles 10-25-2012 10:01 AM

Re: Pots & pans

I have Cooks brand Tri-ply stainless steel with copper inside and LURRRRRVE them. We've slowly replaced everything with this brand because they are so great. Affordable too, especially after Thanksgiving. We bought ours at JCP's. :)

passthepickles 10-25-2012 10:04 AM

Also- we have a big frying pan, a small frying pan (the small one sees virtually no use) a big sauté pan, which I think we use the MOST because of the higher edges, two small saucepans (we cook a lot and this is the minimum we can get by with. I've considered even getting another one) and two stock pots (one with a steamer.) We would make due with one just fine, but the steamer was a gift... And it is nice to have two because we use one of them pretty much every day and one is always clean. Plus, one is much bigger than the other. :)

BabyLuvinMama 10-25-2012 10:18 AM

Ya know I Love to cook I cook everything from Homestyle Food Like Mac N cheese to Gourmet Food for High End catered parties AND my Favorite thing to cook in Is an Enamel covered Cast Iron Pan, Dutch Oven and covered Chefs Pot I dont have a Lot of Brands I like best of all its really just what happens to be on sale at the time BUT For me Enamel covered cast Iron cookware has been Great to me in anything I cook... Wolfgang Puck, Todd English and Others make some NICE stuff thats pretty affordable expecially after thanksgiving sales like Pennys Sears and other stores that sell Homeware Items

PoshPants 10-28-2012 10:12 PM

they have some lovely nesting ones but not so cheap, ikea does basic stainless steal, very cheap and practical

pgkcb13 10-29-2012 02:29 AM

We have cast iron skillets and stainless steel pots. Oh, and a cast iron dutch oven. We <3 them. They all came from the thrift store or rummage sales, so super cheap, but they will last forever!

PoshPants 10-29-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgkcb13 (Post 15870192)
We have cast iron skillets and stainless steel pots. Oh, and a cast iron dutch oven. We <3 them. They all came from the thrift store or rummage sales, so super cheap, but they will last forever!

i'd worry about the iron being worn out if it was used, no? I had a lodge fry pan that fell apart.

elizabeth.scalf 10-31-2012 05:16 PM

I've been collecting Lodge cast iron to slowly replace my non-stick. I love that it's not bad for you like non-stick. An added bonus is that it actually can help raise blood iron levels. I might go stainless for the pots, haven't decided yet. I'm planning to keep one large skillet, one large dutch oven (with a lid that doubles as a smaller skillet) and one large griddle ffor now. I should be able to do my minimal cooking on those 4 pieces.

Weirdest thing, I just got a few pieces for my birthday a few months ago and one of the first times I went to use my new skillet, I was preheating it and it shattered in half. They replaced it no questions asked, but it was the strangest experience. I'm sure that doesn't happen often, so no worries.

Hands&Fire Pottery 10-31-2012 05:53 PM

I have Calphalon Pro Nonstick. They are slowly wearing out. I thought they would last:(

KelseyH 10-31-2012 07:10 PM

We have these and LOVE them: http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Pour...pr_product_top

There is a large and small lid that is interchangeable between the pots and saucepans, and just a few larger, flat lids for the sauté pans. When I ordered online (can't remember where) I got a cast iron skillet free and use it all the time, too! They have held up wonderfully and while they aren't "nonstick" a couple drops of oil prevents any sticking/burned on food. I know you can get them individually at Bed, Bath & Beyond. And if you use a coupon with every purchase, that will add up, too! :)