Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ease into 5k help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457293)

TakodasMomma 10-25-2012 08:26 AM

Ease into 5k help

Okay, so I got the app ease into 5k and I love it. However I've been stuck on week 4 for 2 weeks... I can't seem to finish the 6 minute run after the 4 minute run. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice? I run in vibrams see-ya's so it works out way different muscles than regular shoes. I've always run in vibrams but I just got the see-ya's.. And it seems to have changed my gait even more. I feel like I should be able to do this week 4!

I also weigh 249 right now part of it is muscle.

I need encouragement and advice...

3Xblessed 10-25-2012 08:32 AM

Re: Ease into 5k help

My only advice would be to slow down.

Having said that...I have been running for 3 years and have done half marathons. I am a kinda fast runner and take walking breaks. For example I am coming off injury and ran my first 4 mile run last night in months. I ran it in 36:16 (a 9min/mile pace) and this included walking breaks. I have a hard time running slower unless I have someone to pace me. When I run with dh who can pace I average a 10:30 min/mile and go 3 miles without stopping except for street lights.

savingmomof2boys 10-25-2012 08:47 AM

I agree with trying to slow down.

You can do it!

abunchoflemons 10-25-2012 09:16 AM

I was told like if 4 mile to break into mini races til u finish, do u run on track or on road? The 2 surfaces are different. Pace yourself. Try saying I want x min mile or something & keep runingtil u get there.

TakodasMomma 10-25-2012 10:25 AM

:blush:I do treadmill and I only run at 4 mph... Hahah. I dont think I can go slower. I'm havimg issues pushing through the burn...

Ooh and the 6 min run is just running for 6 mins.. I haven't even ran a full mile yet.. Lol

3Xblessed 10-25-2012 12:49 PM

But running 6 minutes without stopping is huge. Can you do the 5 minutes? Do you have something to distract yourself? I hate the treadmill (get outside if you can...I didn't like running until I headed outdoors). Watch TV or listen to music but make sure to cover the read-out so that you are not focused on how much longer you have to go until you can walk.

TakodasMomma 10-26-2012 06:07 AM

I finally did it yesterday! I just had to focus and i think in that mindset I could have gone longer. Ive been trying to put it in my belt clip so I'm not focusing on thr time.. I'm trying to prep for the 20 min straight run in two weeks!

StephV 10-26-2012 08:09 PM

I tend to want to die after a few minutes so I wind up speed walking. Good luck!

savingmomof2boys 10-27-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakodasMomma
I finally did it yesterday! I just had to focus and i think in that mindset I could have gone longer. Ive been trying to put it in my belt clip so I'm not focusing on thr time.. I'm trying to prep for the 20 min straight run in two weeks!

Awesome job! I find that I really struggle on the treadmill because I spend the entire time watching the clock. If you can get to run outside, I highly recommend it. Even if you can only get outdoors once a week.

cody82414 10-27-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakodasMomma (Post 15860088)

GREAT for you!

And just to let you know, for me anyway
the first mile and a half is the worst.
Once you find your gait and pace you will be on your way.

SO much is mental in the beginning.
But now you KNOW you can do it
so you cannot tell yourself that you can't!

Keep us posted on your progress!!!:thumbsup: