Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due in March (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   Weaned toddler wants to nurse now that Im preggo?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457315)

amb2j 10-25-2012 09:29 AM

Weaned toddler wants to nurse now that Im preggo??

Anyone else have experience with this? DS has been SELF weaned since around 11/12 months. But, recently, he has been showing a lot of interest in nursing especially if he catches a glimpse of my milk makers un covered! He will stare at them, gesture toward them, and try to sit in my lap (in the same position he used to while nursing). Im not sure if its b/c they are simply bigger/darker/more prominent and thats why he is interested, or if its something else entirely (e.g., biologically based?) :headscratch:.

I have no issues at all nursing him again if he shows interest once my milk actually comes in (although Im sure DH would FREAK at my nursing a 2.5 year old....but honestly I dont care :giggle:, I had plans to nurse him until late into toddlerhood, but he decided to wean himself).

So, just curious if you mamas have experience with this...a toddler who has been weaned for over a year, suddenly showing renewed interest in nursing after a pregnancy.

abunchoflemons 10-25-2012 10:16 AM

Re: Weaned toddler wants to nurse now that Im preggo??

I will be watchin. My lo stopped at 14 mo because supply down when I got pregnant & all parties weren't happy.

Maeve Baby 10-25-2012 11:19 AM

DS has been selfweaned for a very long time but he is showing interest in my chest. I don't think it has anything to do with breast feeding-I just think he is noticing the new fullness and so on.

If he asks when the baby arrives I will decline. He at that point will be selfweaned for over 1.5 years and I don't think he would even know how. Even if he did I would not want thim picking it up again personally at that age just becasuse I don't want that power struggle. If it was just a few months or so he had been weaned I would let him come back if he wanted.

Maeve Baby 10-25-2012 11:33 AM

DP

Kiliki 10-25-2012 12:45 PM

Yes, YDD is more interested in my breasts now, and she does want to try to nurse. My DD was just 14 mos old when I got pg again and she weaned within a few wks b/c my supply died. I was so sad, and she was frustrated b/c she much preferred to nurse over eating solid foods.

She is now near 19 mos old and she has tried a couple times to nurse. I've seen her making the motions and offered the breast. She looks like she wants to, but doesn't know how. She has even half-heartedly tried, then she turns her head away and laughs. So I think it's likely that she forgot how to nurse. Babies have to put their tongues and mouth in a certain position to nurse, and once they wean, they don't need that skill anymore, so they can forget it. I know they can re-learn (a friend of mine taught her daughter under the same circumstances), but I don't know how to encourage that, and frankly, I just don't have the time to dedicate to it.

I think YDD would nurse if she could. But she just can't anymore, and I can't teach her. I would love to tandem nurse, and I miss nursing her. So it's kind of like salt in the wound that she wants to and can't. :(

NappyChappy 10-25-2012 02:47 PM

I weaned DS at 19 months in January. All of a sudden he is fascinated with my 'boobies'. I asked the MW about it and she said it's probably the smell. It's been long enough for him to not really remember nursing probably but the smell is instinctual and is related to good feelings for him. Sounds logical to me.